Dyeing a White Wedding Dress Black

Category Dresses
Dyeing a wedding dress black can make for a stark look or even a great costume idea. This is a guide about dyeing a white wedding dress black.

I want a black wedding dress and I found a really nice white one that I would like to dye black. How would I go about doing so? Will dyeing change the texture or make it fall apart? Will there be different shades of black possibly due to the material? It's a lace wedding dress.

Answers

Best Answer

Home dyeing your wedding dress has a lot of risks. Furthermore, the dress is rather expensive and if you're not satisfied it could be too late. If you love this dress, want it for your wedding, and have your heart set on black. I would take it to a professional and have them dye it for you. I really won't do it myself at home.

Your second option is to ask the dress shop you found the wedding dress in if they could make it in black lace for you. This way you are sure to get what you want for that special day. Special order your wedding dress in black. This way there is no mistakes and no problems with the dye coloring the white dress differently.

Best Answer

If you double up the rit dye it will go blacker.Fill the sink with the hottest water you can get, add the dye and mix it thoroughly.Then wet your dress before you add it to the dye.Then put your dress in the sink stirring constantly for 25 minutes.The water has to be very hot.The longer you stir the dress the more it soaks up the colour.After 25 minutes start rinsing in warm water eventually going to cold water until the water runs clear.Then hang up dress to air dry.You may not get the black colour you want and are taking a risk of ruining your dress.Most of the time the colour will not be exactly as you like it.

There could be different shades of black depending on the material. Try to take swatches and dye them with Rit. If you are happy, you can proceed.

If this dress came from a thrift store and you did not pay very much money for it then I would say to go ahead and try it but if the dress is expensive then I would say no because you will have several types of material and some may not dye well at all.

I would suggest calling the thrift stores in your area and ask if they have any wedding dresses in your size (summer weddings are almost over) and maybe you can find something that you might like and try dying it.
This will be a large item and will be difficult to dye. It would most likely be expensive to have a professional dye it but ask anyway.