Use Ice To Water Houseplants Slowly

I have a gazillion houseplants, most of which have been started from cuttings. Watering hanging plants can be hard, especially when they get a bit rootbound. To make this easier, I freeze empty water bottles and yogurt cups of water and when frozen put them into the plants. As the water melts, it is absorbed into the soil slowly, rather than just running down the sides and out the bottom.

This saves water, frustration and also, since a full freezer is more energy-efficient, it saves electricity. Sometimes I mix soluble fertilizer/food into the bottles and feed the plants this way, too. None of the fertilizer is poured out into the saucer, either.

By Linda from Vista CA

Answers:

Use Ice To Water Houseplants Slowly

Great Idea! (09/18/2008)

By L M

Use Ice To Water Houseplants Slowly

Do you just turn the water bottle upside down or do you have to put the mouth of the bottle into the soil? (09/19/2008)

By Carolyn

Use Ice To Water Houseplants Slowly

I just turn the bottle upside down, propping it on the lip of the pot, the hanger or the wall-or an adjacent pot. Not necessary to put it into the soil. (09/20/2008)

By Linda