Use Newspaper Comics for Gift Wrap

If you still receive a copy of the newspaper, the colorful comics pages make fun recycled gift wrap paper. This is a guide about use newspaper comics for giftwrap.

I love giving gifts all year long. Years ago it hit me one day that sometimes my wrappings cost nearly as much as the gift itself! Now I use comics from the newspaper to wrap my gifts. I already get the paper, so it's free! People actually really enjoy the wrap too, they think it's cute.:)

This is a good idea for a winter holiday or birthday gift. Comics taken from the newspapers and cut out each day. Paste onto printing paper and put in a 3 ring binder from the dollar store. It makes an inexpensive book of comics for a person's favorite comic strip.

Or better yet, find an online archive of their favorite comic, and save the comics in order. Garfield.com has a vault that archives every comic ever published. Screen grabs of those put on a CD or printed out (there's a print option) would make a good gift, too.

By Saber Alexander from Omaha, NE

My tip is for wrapping paper. When wrapping a child's gift, use the Sunday comics. When wrapping a gift for the grandparents take a brown grocery sack and cut it open. Then let your child be creative on the side that has no store markings. Then use to wrap the gift.

By Claudia from Kentucky

I wanted to save money on Christmas wrapping paper. I started saving the Sunday comics to wrap children's gifts. However, when I went to use the comics, they had faded and are not pretty any more. How could I keep the colorful comics from fading?

By Marjorie from MI

Answers

what i recommend is the minute you harvest them you put an acrylic spray sealer over them www.homedepot.com/.../204677938

or use matte medium and with a brush and very carefully cover in 2 or 3 layers over the newsprint www.dickblick.com/.../

matte medium is a wonderful product and a good investment

these steps will ensure colorfastness and also make the paper less brittle

Air fades colors. Put in a dark room that is not humid.

When done reading the Sunday newspaper funnies, I put them with my gift wrapping supplies. For children's gifts instead of using tissue paper to make the ornate gift bag spray, I use the comics with a solid color bag. It's not only very colorful, but "green" and free!

By Tahloolabelle from Ventura, CA

Answers:

Save Sunday Funnies for Gift Wrap

I've always done that, the kids love it. (02/17/2010)

By Anna

Save Sunday Funnies for Gift Wrap

Great idea, and not just for the kids! (02/19/2010)

By Lelia Jo Cordell

This is an inexpensive gift idea for kids and other people who like to read the comics. For those who get a newspaper, or can have access to them, cut all the comics the recipient likes from each days' paper, and paste them onto computer paper, in order. The benefit of compilation books without the expense, and a fun way to recycle some newspaper!

Punch some holes in the page and put them in an inexpensive binder. If you want, get those tabbed notebook dividers to separate the different comics from one another. This works even better to give to people who don't get their favorite comics in their local newspaper, or don't get the paper, period.

By Saber from Omaha, NE

Answers:

Collect Newspaper Comics for a Gift

Great idea! I think back to when my dad was living and how I could have put all his Garfield comic strips into a notebook. I know he would have gone through it and enjoyed them over and over again. Thanks for sharing your really good idea. (10/30/2008)

By Carol