Use Washer for Cleaning Vegetables

We put in a lot of potatoes,and carrots so when it comes time for cleaning, it is a lot of work. A friend of mine told me to put them in the washer in cold water, no detergents of course. It works great for cleaning when you have so many of them. I just put them in for 5 minutes.

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

Yes, I do this with mustard greens. I just make sure that I run the washer empty at least once before I load in the greens, and then when I feel that it is clean enough, I put them in and run them through. Works great! It takes a little time to clean the washer first, but its no more time than it takes to make sure the greens have no sand or dirt on them by hand. This way the washer does the work for me. And as a bonus, it tears up the greens for me!

Brilliant!

My Mother before she passed washed her greens in the washer too.

Doesn't the washing machine bang up / bruise your potatoes and carrots? And that leads me to ask how you store them. Back when I was growing up, on the farm, we stored our carrots in sandy soil (they lasted for months) and potatoes in a barrel in the cold room (also kept well for months).

Storage conditions were by no means pristine but we only had to clean a few at a time as we used them.