DishesCleaning

Using Automatic Pods in Older Dishwashers

Can I use automatic dishwasher pods in dishwashers that do not contain a basket to hold the pod? And if so, where do I place the pac in the dishwasher?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

If you already have the pods and want to use them, I would put them on the top shelf of the dishwasher. You can hold them in place using the glasses if necessary.

Once you have used up the pods, I'd switch to dishwashing powder instead of the pods. If an older model dishwashing doesn't have the correct rack for the pods you are wasting the soap inside of them. It is better to use standard dishwashing soap in your dishwasher.

Thanks. This sounds like a good idea. I bought the pods thinking it would be easier than the liquid that I was using. The liquid kept getting thick and hardening, so I thought the pods would solve my problem.

However, I did not realize you need a special holder for the pod. So, I was also thinking of putting the pod into a mesh bag (like what onions come in) and hanging it from the top rack. I want to use up all the pods before switching to powder.

Some people put the pod on the bottom of the dishwasher. The problem is that they get wet too soon and a lot of the detergent is lost. I would not use them.