Using Damp Rid?

Using Damp Rid - bag of crystallized Damp RidI placed Damp Rid in my closet and on the top shelves of my furniture after mold destroyed most of my clothes and shoes and some of my furniture, but yesterday when checking the Damp Rid bag in the closet I found the dripped water had crystalized. That did not happened in the previous 2 bags I used. Can you tell me why it happened?

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts

This is normal. After a few days the crystals will melt and the water will drip into the chamber.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 196 Feedbacks

If your issues are like ours were in our basement, you may be better off investing in a good dehumidifier. It ends up paying for itself in the long run. We started out with the Damp Rid product and it worked nicely, but the problem was too big for it. The other challenge for us is products like this are not good around dogs...so if you do have pets, be sure to keep them away from the container--esp.

when it turns to liquid. I use the water from the dehumidifier for my plants so even through my electric costs went up slightly, my water bill dropped slightly. Just a suggestion for long term moisture/mold control.

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks

You probably just checked the bag at different stages as that is the normal process - crystals to liquid - no matter which part of the bag/container it is in. Damp-Rid says a sudden change in temperature causes different changes.

• Damp-Rid products are expensive and are not really designed for a big damp/moisture problem. They are really designed to be used where a normal (small) amount of moisture may (or may not) occur but they are especially useful where any leather products are stored.
  • Advertisement

• It sounds like you may have a serious moisture problem and your first step should be to try and determine the originating source of the problem so you can try and stop it from getting into your house in the first place.
  • Damp-Rid will not remove mold or mildew - it will only remove the moisture that causes it but old mold/mildew with still be there until it is cleaned with a product that will kill the spores/fungus.
  • Please remember, you are still breathing the mold all the time you can see it and it can definitely cause health problems.
  • If you are renting your house/apartment then you should discuss this problem with your landlord as this is a hazardous situation and it would be their responsibility to take care of it immediately (and really should provide you another place to live until your place is completely clean and repaired).
  • Advertisement

• Here is an article about Damp-Rid.
  • damprid.com/.../
  • If you have no choice but to take care of this yourself then you should think about buying a dehumidifier as that is what it will take to remove the type of moisture you are describing. These units can be purchased from Walmart type stores or online but the larger units will cost more than $100. There are smaller units available if you need to put them in several places.
  • www.walmart.com/.../1072864_133032_1231459_112918
  • www.walmart.com/.../190979340?athcpid=190979340&athpgid...
  • If you are adventurous and want to make your own Damp-Rid that is pretty easy to do.
  • You will need some type of filler to absorb the moisture and that would be Calcium Chloride (most often used - same as in Damp-Rid), silica or silica gel cat litter. All of these can be purchased at your local stores. Some say the Calcium Chloride is the same as used from a pool supply store but that I have not checked out.
  • Advertisement

• Here is a link that explains how to make and set your own containers in place.
  • www.mygreenerliving.com/.../
  • www.mygreenaustralia.com/.../

I would also suggest you try to leave your closet doors open as much as possible and also burn a 40 watt light bulb in the closet until you correct your problem.

Home and Garden Cleaning MoldMay 22, 2018
🐛
🌻
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Using-Damp-Rid.html