Using Hedge Apples for Pest Control

Do you cut the hedge apples in half before placing them around your house for pest control or leave them whole?

By Glenda from KS

Best Answer

You use them whole, but think long and hard before you do this! I did this as I don't like spiders and thought this method would be great as it doesn't involve chemicals. Well, what ended up happening was a ton of gnats came to visit, drawn to the hedge apples. :-( I won't do this again.

You are supposed to put them in dishes. I used them for years, never got gnats!

I had them in several indoor places last year and all they did was shrivel --no other bugs!

We always get headge apples before the first freeze. Then we take a Sharpe knife an put as many holes as possible an fill the holes with as many whole cloves as possible. Then we get a net with small holes in it to help hold in the cloves.

This keeps them from not spoiling. An to last up to 6 mos. or longer. We tried just sitting them out an the same thing happened. My mother read this year's ago in dear Abby in the Kansas city star newspaper. You can buy the net at hobby lobby ECT.

I have read a lot on line about hedge apples, but have seen nothing about cutting them in half. I cannot locate a source for buying them, so if you have them or know where to get them, would you please post the info. on Thrifty Fun. I hear they are very good at keeping spiders away and a friend in Florida wants to try them for roaches. Thanks in advance. Joan from Chesterfield, MI

I pick hedge apples in the fall. They are also called Osage Orange and we live in Osage county Kansas.

I put them on eBay and sell them.

I live in Mansfield Ohio and they are on my tree in the back yard. I use them to repel spiders yearly

Anonymous

They are all over missiouri

Did you ever get some ?

Anonymous

What is the name of the tree do you know by chance

Anonymous

you can buy them , go to hedge apple.com

Leave them whole

I have used hedge apples thinking they would get rid of spiders, instead the spiders made nests around the hedge apples because the bugs were attracted to the sticky syrup that drained from them as they rotted. I tried using them whole and halved with the same result.