General AdviceConsumer Advice

Using Lamp Oil in an Electric Oil Lamp

I have an electric oil lamp which has not been used in years, as it was my mother's. There was a special kind of oil she used to purchase at the same lighting store where she purchased the lamp, but it has since closed. Would regular lamp oil work? The oil heats up and cascades down strands of some kind of line that, to me, resembles fishing line, once you turn the lamp on. Any help?

By gayle from Rochester, NY

I got curious about the kind of lamp you were referring to. If it is, as I think, one of the rain lamps (with mono-filament line that the oil drips down), I had to look it up. I haven't thought of them in years!

I found a site that seemed to have some good information. Mineral oil is apparently what can be used; it can be found in the pharmacy of "big box" stores, or drug stores.

www.simnia.com/.../fluids.htm