Using Up Jam That Didn't Set Correctly

I recently made a batch of sour cherry jam that didn't set right. I didn't have enough cherries and tried to fiddle with the pectin amounts, oops!. To make the best of my mistake, I've had fun coming up with other ways to make good use of the unset jam and they've all worked well.

Here's what I've tried so far: ice cream topping, pancake topping, drizzled over a homemade cheesecake for a special occasion, layered in with batter of a cinnamon streusel coffee cake (yum!), mixed into oatmeal or cream of wheat hot cereal, and used in homemade granola/breakfast bars. Honestly, I think some of these were better than the jam itself so I'll have to make sure I "mess up" again next year.

Anyone else have any suggestions? I think I may be able to use it as pie filling as well.

By cs_jag from Hillsboro, OR

Answers:

Using Up Jam That Didn't Set Correctly

Great ideas! I like to use some homemade blackberry or plum jam in my barbecue sauce. I thin it with some apple cider vinegar, add a little of my store bought BBQ sauce, and then add some hot sauce to taste. Great flavor combination of sweet and heat. (05/04/2010)

By CardsFan

Using Up Jam That Didn't Set Correctly

I use jams inside a double layer cake for filling then frost it, delish! (05/04/2010)

By Diva53d

Using Up Jam That Didn't Set Correctly

You have come up with some great ideas. My neighbor gave me some strawberry jam last year that didn't set properly, and it was so useful that I am going to can 'smashed' strawberries myself this season! (05/04/2010)

By mbnorton59

Using Up Jam That Didn't Set Correctly

Thanks for the advice! I bet that cherry jam would be especially tasty as a filling for Black Forest Cake. I'm going to try the barbecue sauce trick too since I made blackberry jam. Followed the recipe on that one so it did set properly :) (05/06/2010)

By cs_jag

Using Up Jam That Didn't Set Correctly

I bet it would be good spread onto meats like chicken, turkey, or pork and either baked or grilled.

sounds delicious! (05/20/2010)

By fatboyslimsmom