Using an Above Ground Swimming Pool

I just bought my son a huge above ground swimming pool for his birthday party. I have run a little short on cash and do not have the money until this following payday to purchase chemicals. I was wandering if it is safe for a bunch of kids to go swimming in it just for the day of party? The water is freshly being put it now, and no one has yet been in it.

Best Answer

"SAFE" is a subjective quality. Many kids swim in lakes, rivers, oceans, etc., with no problem, however, these waters are different than a wholly contained pool. There may not be a medical problem in allowing the kids to play in untreated water, however, if a kid or some kids become ill later, the parents may place blame on you for allowing their kids in untreated water. I believe it would be a "safer" plan if you could find a way to buy the required chemicals.

i HAVE A 14 X 5 FOOT ABOVE GROUND POOL AND ALL i HAVE EVER DONE TO KEEP IT CLEAN IS POUR 2 GAL. OF Clorox every few weeks. ( but, don't use store brands... use only the good stuff)

never had and problems with my pool it stay's clean all the time.
I do have a sand filter system hooked up to it.
I have a very good friend that is a professional Pool cleaner and he is the one that told me to do this many years ago. and it's worked for me.

You need the chemicals, mainly so you can prove you put them in in case someone's child gets sick and your pool is suspected.

I used to put my kids in a very large inflatable, filling it the day they swam and draining it when they were done. If the kids swim the day you put the water in, it should be okay.

As a mom, I would have no problem with that. I assume you are using treated water from a city system. Or drinkable water from a rural home system.

If you have concerns, you could inform the parents of these children, and they could decide for themselves if their kid can swim in your pool. Certainly if it was a small pool, no one would worry about it.

Yes, there's enough chlorine in the water your putting in for it to be safe for a couple days