Using the Oven for Canning?

I have heard you can use your oven instead of a hot bath for canning and wonder if it's true? It would be a lot easier, but I don't know what to do as far as safety and oven temperature and time. Any ideas?

By Jennifer

Best Answer

Yes, yes, yes. I put my jars, rings and lids on a large sturdy cookie sheet, adjust shelves in oven to size of your jars. Ball says 250 degrees F, I use 300 degrees F and about 20 minutes. Works very well.

did you put your jars in cold oven?

Have u processed green beans in the oven? I did tomatoes they did great but not sure about green beans

Do u put the lids on the jars

I have been using this method for years for my stew tomatoes and they turn out wonderful every time!!

Best Answer

Yes! Prepare everything as usual. Place in sterilized jars & put on seals. Put into a cold oven. Turn oven to 250 degrees for 45 minutes.

Turn off off and let sit inside oven overnight. You can hear the lids popping as they seal! Love this way so much better...and the color of the veggies is so much brighter!

and on down the road prepare to meet up with Mr Botulism:
www.who.int/.../
I would never, ever take a chance on canning in the oven! Pressure canner and water bath are the ONLY SAFE canning methods.

I am sure many people have tried this and feel it is safe. I am a big time canner and personally, I would never do it. I use a boiling water bath for items that can be water bathed safely, and I use a pressure canner for items that cannot be. I won't take a chance on my family.

I have tried the sterilization process in the oven when I make my freezer jams. I do boil some water for my lids though.

I have never tried it for other preserve projects, but would most definitely like the opinion of a professional to see if it is safe.

Food and Recipes CanningAugust 29, 2011
🌻
👒
🐰
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Using-the-Oven-for-Canning.html