Vaccinating a Puppy

My dog had parvo when he was about 11 weeks old. He was cured from it, but was never given his full vaccinations as a puppy. What vaccines does he still need to get?

Best Answer

Normally there is a set of 4 vaccinations a puppy gets. I'm not sure the exact name of them. I just know if you live in the US your dog has to have a rabies shot. Then there is the yearly vaccination, which he get 2 of them. One is given first and the second one is given 4 weeks later. This protects him for a year. Then after this they are given once a year. I think the first one they gave my puppy was for Parvo at 6 weeks old. Then he had his yearly one 2 weeks later, 2 weeks after this he had his second Parvo and 2 weeks after that his yearly.

Best Answer

I would suggest you call your vet's office and have them check your dog's chart to be sure you have the correct info as well as a time line when each shot/vaccination is needed.

• If you call your vet you can also ask about the cost of these shots and since you will be charged for a doctor's visit each time, you can ask if some can be combined and maybe be good for your dog and you.
  • Here is a schedule for a puppies first year but your dog may have already had some of the suggested shots.
  • www.dummies.com/.../

You definitely need a rabies vaccine. Im pretty sure he needs tetanus as well. Any vet will tell you what shots the dog needs.

A minimum of 2 multivalent vaccinations (including distemper and parvo) then additional vaccination against rabies at least. Anymore is optional or depends on the situation. It is best to consult your vet.

This is a vaccination schedule for dogs based on their age.

Reference:
www.dummies.com/.../
www.canismajor.com/.../vaccine.html