BooksCollectibles

Value of 1872 Webster's Dictionary

I have volume 1 and volume 2 of Webster's Dictionary copyright 1872. Any idea what's it worth?

These are over 100 years old, and are considered antiques. Take them to a couple of book dealers.

Thanks Judy. I was going to have a garage sale and wondered if they might be worth anything. I didn't think of a dealer.

Before trying to sell them off at a yard sale I'd visit a local auction house in your area for antique books and have them take a look at them. These can be copyrighted in a certain year, but it will depend on when they were actually printed. The condition and the print date will determine the value of your books.

I know you say the book (s) are copyright 1872 but is that the actual publishing date?

• Main reason I ask is because it appears the true 1872 was only one book and 2 volumes were not published until many years later.
  • Maybe we could give a better answer if you posted pictures (especially the copyright page) and stated the condition.
  • Here are some listings for 2 volume sets presently on eBay (and asking price). Actual price paid could be entirely different.
  • www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_odkw=webster+dictionary+2...
  • Here is a link to the actual sets sold on eBay over the past several months.
  • www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&...
  • Maybe you can look at some of these and see if your set matches.