Value of a 1896 Webster's Dictionary

Category Books
The value of old reference books, such as dictionaries is sometimes difficult to determine. Much depends on whether there is a consumer demand for your book. This is a guide about value of a 1896 Webster's dictionary.

My dictionary is in decent shape. The binding is good, some fraying on top and bottom edges. There are some loose pages that are blank, but the rest is in decent shape. It needs to be in the hands of someone who knows how to keep it from getting worse. Any ideas of the value and who could care for it?

By Bre

Many people have old books they think are important and want to sell. Most old dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities.
You can try this site to start:  book-values.html

Hi Bre,

Do you still have the Webster Dictionary? I am interested in getting it if you have it? please contact me at

my name is charity and i have a 1948 webster dictionary if ur interested

I have a 1933 pocket Webster dictionary hard cover, color maroon. FYI

What r u prepared to pay as i have one

I have come to own a 1896 reprint of the original Webster's Dictionary. I have tried to research it online, but have found no information. Is there any value to it? The spine was torn off when I received it. I would like to have it rebound. But do not want to take away from any value ot may have.

Thank you.

Most dictionaries have little value-a few dollars at most, especially those in rough shape. Even repaired books are not worth the repair cost. You can research online and try this book site:

Ad  book-values.html

If you still have it, I am very interested. My dad wants one for Christmas. I will pay $50 plus shipping.