Finding the Value of Old Encyclopedia Sets

Category Books
This page is great place to look for the value of old encyclopedias. Look below for feedback shared about the value of various encyclopedia sets. If you don't see your set listing, feel free to post a question.

Older encyclopedias are typically not worth much. On-line research for your specific set might help to determine value. This is a guide about finding the value of New Standard Encyclopedias.

Set of encyclopedias

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about finding the value of Collier's encyclopedias. Some old books may be rare and have great value. Others may be more difficult to place value on, but may have other uses.

Collier's Encyclopedias

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Many homes had these reference books because they were readily available at the supermarket in the 1950s. Although dated, encyclopedias can sometimes be sold in niche markets to crafters and some collectors. This is a guide about finding the value of Funk and Wagnalls encyclopedias.

Volumes of encyclopedias.

Read More... Was this helpful? 1

Although vintage or newer encyclopedias generally do not have much value, an antique set may. Research would be needed to see if your set is rare, a first edition, or has other value based on age or specific content. This is a guide about value of New Popular encyclopedia 1902.

book case with books

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Most Encyclopaedias are not worth much as they were mass produced and distributed. However, if you have a particularly old or rare set on Encyclopaedias, they may have some value for a collector. This is a guide about value of the New Educator Encyclopaedia 1948.

cover page and opposing page with photo

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

The value of older reference books is determined by a number of factors. The profusion of encyclopedias and the lack of the currency of their information often render them very low in value. This is a guide about finding the value of the Encyclopedia Americana.

Set of Americana.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Many homes have a little used set of encyclopedias on the bookshelf. This is a guide about finding the value of Chamber's encyclopedias.

Stack of encyclopedias.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about value of Richards Topical encyclopedia. There are a few websites and businesses that may help you determine the value of old reference books.

Volumes in crate.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have an encyclopedia that says Werner Encyclopedia, but it doesn't say Britannica. It is dated 1909 and was published in Akron, Ohio. I was hoping to get some information on that encyclopedia.

I have a ten volume set collection of Grolier's "The Book of Art" 1965. They all have the original book jackets and are in great condition. What is it worth?

By Iris

Answers

Best Answer

They have some for sale on Amazon's seller market here:

http://www.amaz … p;condition=used

Full sets are available from $40 to $80.

I have a set of 1961 encyclopedias from " The American Educator " and I'm wondering how much they are worth.

By Nancy R.

Answers

The place I always start with to try to find somethings resale value, is looking on ebay, it may not be very accurate, as some things never sell, but it is free, and usually fast. If not, you can probably search for that name and year, and in the list of sites, find someone that sells that very same thing, with a price they want for theirs.
Best of luck to you in valuing your books!

Nothing. Look at all that has happened and been invented since 1961. None of that is in your encyclopedias. Yet, all that is in your encyclopedias is in the new ones which are actually on CD and take up less space. You are better off throwing them out and making more room in your home.

If the covers are attractive, you may find someone who wants to use them for a craft, such as decorated books or a lampstand. I don't think they have a value otherwise.

They are worth 00000000. Sorry to say and no one will take them. Goodwill does not want them either. If they are of value to you, keep them, otherwise recycle.

I am actually looking for some vintage encyclopedias in great shape. I like the Brown and Gold, Burgundy and Gold, and Black and Red (typically Collier) sets. I think the craftsmanship and overall looks are beautiful.

This same travesty that is happening with encyclopedias is happening with other lovely books like the older Reader's Digest Condensed books, the ones with the awesome patterned covers. Book Stores won't take them, and folks almost can't give them away.

Right now I make shelves out of these books, as well as hollow book stashes. I understand some of you may think that is horrible, and that I am destroying these books. In my mind, this is one of the only ways to save these books so people of this generation can still enjoy them in some way, rather than just throwing them away.

Email me here (smartdesign at live.com), or at my Etsy shop (https://www.ets … op/FunEclecticHF) if you are interested in selling, or donating. Honestly I can't pay much (typically less than a dollar a book), and only have enough storage room for one or two sets at a time. I will consider partial sets as well, depending on price and condition. Thanks so much.

I have a complete 24 set of Collier 1987 encyclopedias in excellent continue willing to donate to anyone who can use them just cover shipping cost from NJ nice condition for anyone using to make crafts, etc.

What is the estimated value of a complete set of the encyclopedia Americana in perfect condition?

How much is an entire set of Americana encyclopedia 1904 (16 volumes) worth? They are in pretty good shape considering their age! Where can I sell them?

Answers

A complete set, if worth something, is more desirable than an incomplete set. Go to worhpoint.com or a local book dealer.

I have a complete set of World Book. Though you & I may think they should be worth something. Unfortunately with today's technology Computers have replaced the use of looking up anything in any research books. I have posted my set on e-bay and received no responses at all. I am sorry for the negative feedback. Good luck if you can sell your set.

I don't think it is highly saleable, unfortunately, though it may indeed be very interesting. You could try eBay for an idea of prices. Perhaps a museum of Americana might be interested.

Check out eBay for what people are trying to sell and even check the "sold" listings but I think you will find there are almost no buyers of books like this.

It is a shame to see these put in the trash but that is where they usually go if donated to Goodwill, Salvation Army etc.
They will not usually even let you leave them if they see what you have.

I volunteer at our local Hospice Thrift Store and we never accept them because they generally always go to the trash bin.

I am not finding this particular set either on eBay or elsewhere. Do you know what year these would be? The value?

Thanks

Answers

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias, dictionaries and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.
You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.
*

Copyright 1971

I found the date... it is 1942. Thanks

Have a complete set of 1960 Encyclopedia Americana and yearly updates to and including 1966. Is there a market for them and if so can you suggest a contact. Thank you
Virginia

I have a copy of The Children's Encyclopedia by Arthur Mee, volumes 1 to 10. They are in excellent condition. I would just like some information on this set, as well as, if they are worth anything.

I would be grateful for any information thank you

Answers

Most books of this type have very little value, but if I were you I would take them to several book dealers and get their take on it.

I have a full set in excellent condition. It is a first edition. What is the value? I am looking to sell.

By Kat

Answers

I see this question asked a lot. Usually, they are worthless except for craft projects, because they are so outdated with incorrect information. You might try selling them as a set online but shipping will be probably more than the encyclopedias are worth.

Encyclopedias that are over 100 years old or have some other historical significance might be worth something. In that case, I would take it to a bookstore that specializes in old or rare books.

Good luck, let us know what the outcome is?

What is the value of a set of Appleton's encyclopedias dated 1901?

I have a full set of 15 volumes of the Chambers's Encyclopaedia New Edition 1959. Can you please advise the value of same?

I inherited a set of 10 encyclopedias, and I'm wondering what their value is. They were printed in the Union of South Africa by Cape Town Ltd., during the apartheid era. I am not sure of the date as I cannot find one. The publisher is the Consolidated World Research Society Ltd. London.

I have the 1911 Catholic Encyclopedia by Robert Appleton. How many books are in this set and are they worth anything?

Is this set (which is pristine, they still creak when opened) worth anything at all? They are complete and with the case. Any idea?

I am trying to find out the value of a set of the New Book of Knowledge from 1898. It is missing one volume.

I have a full set of American People Encyclopedias in decent condition. What would they be worth? They are 1958 edition.

Thank you.

What is a full set Collier's Encyclopedia published in 1932 worth?

How much would a set of 1884 German encyclopedias be worth?

We have volumes 1-10 of The New Book of Knowledge. I've searched all over the web and numerous other sites and found nothing. They have been in the family since just before 1995. What is the price range for selling them?

I am wondering what a complete set of Standard America Encyclopedias copyright 1937, copyright The University Society MCMXVI is worth?
The set was printed and bounded in the United States of America by
The Cuneo Press, Inc.

Answers

I have set of w.f.quarry encyclopedia dated fro 1917 thru 1935 how much of value

I am very interested in these encyclopedias if you are interested in parting with them. scoffron at yahoo.com

I have a full set of encyclopedias from 1966 and plus the child crafting books that they also came with. Who do I need to talk to about to determine how much they are worth now?

By Sarah

Answers

It's my understanding that encylopedias per se are not worth any money - perhaps the child books would fetch a bit - but don't count on it. The best you can probably do is to donate it to a school, library or thrift shop & then take the deduction for the donation.

Why is it that almost every other question on this Thrifty Fun site is about the value of old encyclopedia sets? Cut them up into triangular strips and make beads from them. The encyclopedias are worth nothing. Nobody wants them anymore.

Most schools, libraries and thrift shops won't take them as donations. See if you can find someone who will use them for some sort of craft.

What would be the value of 5 encyclopedias from 1865? They are in pretty good shape with the exception of one which lost some of the outer binding. The pages inside and binding are very good. I believe they are called "The American Encyclopedia." I've had books from that era that were literally falling apart, unreadable, and unopenable basically, but these are not like that.

By M Korn

Answers

Just advertise them on Craigs list or ebay. They are worth what someone is willing to pay. Otherwise you can pay an appraiser to tell you.

Generally speaking, encyclopedias are not worth much. I think someone was asking recently on here about a set of 1950 ones and the concensus was they are not worth much.

Hello, If you still have this set, I would be interested in making an offer.

I have a full set of World Wide Encyclopedia published by Books Inc. I think it was published the end of 40s. It is in good condition. How can I learn the value of this please?

I have encyclopedias from 1993 that are People and Places from A to Z and was wondering how much they are worth. They are 23 years old so I was wondering how much I should sell them for.

I have a set of circa '60s encyclopedias in perfect condition, that I need to know the value of and how and where best to sell them. I also have a set of year books from the same time (era) that are perfect.

There are 20 volumes in an excellent condition. What would be the price to put it in eBay?

Does anyone know how much these are worth? I have a set of 12 of the Annual Cyclopedia. I tried to find info online, but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

I have encyclopedias from the 1800s. I am wondering what they are worth.

I have a mint condition, 15 volume set of the American Standard Encyclopedia copywright 1937, 1937, and 1938. Is it worth anything?

Answers

What is a 1956 Britannia set dedicated to Dwight D. Eisenhower & Queen Elizabeth the second be worth

I have a set of Meyers Konversations -Lexikon 1909 editions volumes 1-19. I am curious as to their value, if any?

Load More