Finding the Value of Old Encyclopedia Sets

I have the Student's Encyclopedia with atlas. It is a 6 volume set published by Estes & Lauriat 1883. Does anyone have an idea how much this set is worth in fair to good condition?

Answers

Best Answer

These books are collectable because they are over 100 years old. Often encyclopedias come up for sale, but are not offered much because they are under 100 years. This set can start at $20 per book and ranging up into the $100's -www.ebay.com/.../bn_55472753

Best Answer

Can you please share photos of the set, along with photos of the cover of one, the spine, the edges of the sides, and the inside page of one of them which shows all of the publishing info and details.

It is almost impossible to give a value without seeing exactly what you have.

Can you also please elaborate on the condition: are the pages all intact? Is there any cracking in the spine or covers? Are the pages tanned/yellowed/brittle? Are there any ripped or missing pages? Any ink/pencil/dirt marks/stains or water damage? Are there any smells (even if it is just the old paper smell)? Condition is VERY subjective and buyers are looking for very specific details that help determine condition. Your fair may be my poor and your good may be my excellent. It is just hard to use words like that especially about old books.

Unfortunately age has very little do with value as there are old books that are worthless and newer items that have huge value. It is all about what people collect and want, if there are many on the market or few, and most importantly about condition.

Hopefully with more info, I can point you to some sold items so we can figure out an average value in today's crazy marketplace!

Thanks!!

Answer this Question

335 More Questions

I have a complete set of Canadian 1967 Centennial encyclopedias in excellent condition. What would it be worth and what is the best way to market the set?

Answers

Best Answer

Any type of books like this are considered outdated and not worth much at all. Collectors seek books that are over 100 years old. Normally you should try to sell them locally and you are looking around $15 to $25 for the set.

Best Answer

Unless the set is complete and over 100 years old, it is virtually worthless. Donate it and take a tax deduction.

Best Answer

Can you please post a photo of the set, tell me how many volumes, and also show the inside of one of the books where it gives all of the publishing info?

I have asked around to some Canadian friends and they are not sure what you mean by encyclopedia related to the Centennial.

There were a lot of things published for the Centennial and related Worlds Fair events so they are curious what you have, as some still do have value among collectors.

Without seeing it or knowing more about what you have I don't want to comment on value or how to sell it.

Looking forward to learning more.

Thanks!

Answer this Question

From what I gather these are the first edition Century Dictionary in 10 Volumes 1889 De Vinne Press and the Cyclopedia of Names 1894. I have looked countless hours and have never seen this style leather binding.

Do I have something special here? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

Best Answer

I found on Ebay, Century dictionary/ encyclopedias year 1897, going for $675.00 in fair condition. Yours should be around that or a little more. A collector may pay you a premium if you advertise or do auction/bid!

Best Answer

On E-Bay they have sets of enyclopedias from 899.00 to 20.00 dollars.You can go on E-Bay and give your e-mail and they will contact you if they get a set in.Then you can see what they are worth.Usually there not worth anything because of technology people don't want them.

Best Answer

Books like this in great condition should be sold through an auction house that specializes in these types of sales. There are a lot of book collectors out there that would more than likely be interested in books like this. Please do yourself a favor and contact a book autction house and speak with them. Pricing on eBay or other places like this is not the true value of these books. The only way to get a fair price for these is in an auction.

Answer this Question

I have a set of 1961 encyclopedias from " The American Educator " and I'm wondering how much they are worth.

By Nancy R.

Answers

The place I always start with to try to find somethings resale value, is looking on ebay, it may not be very accurate, as some things never sell, but it is free, and usually fast. If not, you can probably search for that name and year, and in the list of sites, find someone that sells that very same thing, with a price they want for theirs.
Best of luck to you in valuing your books!

I have a complete set of Odhams Encyclopedia, printed 1966 in English. Are they worth anything?

Answer this Question

I have a set of 1911 United Editors Perpetual Encyclopedia 40 volumes (I am missing 1 volume). All 39 volumes are in excellent condition.

Are they worth anything? I hate to just throw them out.

Answer this Question

Do old sets of encyclopedias have any value? Can they be donated anywhere or do they have to be recycled?

Answers

Best Answer

The true value is the ones that are 100+ years old. In some cases you can list them in your area and try to sell them this way. A lot of times you can earn around $50 for the set. Normally people are no longer taking donations of old encyclopedias and a lot of times people need to recycle them.

Best Answer

You could try a auction/bid for them to try and get the best price! Although unless they are over 100 years they do not bring in more than $50 most of the time! Maybe there is a collector out there who wants to add to there personal library!

Answer this Question

I have an encyclopedia that says Werner Encyclopedia, but it doesn't say Britannica. It is dated 1909 and was published in Akron, Ohio.

I was hoping to get some information on that encyclopedia.

I am trying to find the value of a complete set of the 1954 World Scope Encyclopedia.

Answer this Question

I have a 1958 set of the World Encyclopedia in good condition. Do they have any value/

Answers

Best Answer

Different years/editions of encyclopedias are valued for different reasons so occasionally a set will be of value.

• The 1958 set was not a "stand out" set but there have been several sets sold on eBay this year which is a little unusual. The sets did not sell for a lot of money but still - money is money.
  • Here is the link to the sets that sold so you can see if one is similar to your set. There are two different bindings (you did not say which binding your have) but it looks like both are selling. The sets sold for $12 - $80 but packing and shipping is a real job.
  • www.ebay.com/.../263546295290?hash=item3d5c9553fa...
  • You may want to think about trying to sell them on your local Craigslist as the price may be close to the same and there would be no shipping involved.
  • Craigslist is easy to use (they show instructions) and usually free but you would need several photos and a good description.
  • eBay is more difficult and unless you list the set as "pick up only" you would have to pack and ship and shipping cost only adds to what the buyer is paying but no more money to you.
  • You can start higher and lower if no one shows an interest.
Answer this Question

What is the value of a Modern World Encyclopedia set? It was published by Hazel, Watson & Viney, 1935.

Answers

Best Answer

About $20 or $30. You can wait until they're 100 years old to reach more value or find someone who will buy them for more for repurposing efforts.

Answer this Question

I am wondering what a complete set of Standard America Encyclopedias copyright 1937, copyright The University Society MCMXVI is worth?
The set was printed and bounded in the United States of America by

The Cuneo Press, Inc.

Answers

Best Answer

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias, dictionaries and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.
You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

Answer this Question

What is the value of a set of 10 Harmsworth Encyclopaedias manufactured in 1906?

Answers

Best Answer

The 1905-1906 Harmsworth Encyclopedia set only has 8 volumes but you say you have 10 books.
There are several different editions with the name Harmsworth that you have to careful when doing research:
Harmsworth - Business...
Harmsworth - Home Doctor....
Harmsworth - Household...
Harmsworth - Wireless...
But the biggest edition listed is the Harmsworth's Universal Encyclopedia.

I cannot find any evidence of current value for this set.
It appears that doing research shows that most books/sets are listed for sale in the UK (that may be where you are located?) but only one set has sold over the past several months. and that was sold for $18 plus shipping.

www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=harmsworth...

Sellers who list this type of books usually post them and they may not sell for years or even sell at all.
You could try your hand at posting your set but be sure to show very good pictures and description of condition.
Start at any price - $150? plus Media shipping (books) and reduce it if no one shows an interest. You might also make it 'make an offer' to see if someone bites.
You can also think about posting it on local venues for 'pick up only'. Maybe on Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, etc.

Answer this Question

I have a set of Newnes Family Encyclopaedias volumes 1-4 , and the Newnes Family Dictionary. All are I think from 1960 and are in very good condition. Would they have any value and are they a collector's item?

Many thanks.

Answers

Best Answer

Just to give you an idea of the value of the books I see an Newnes Family encyclopaedia from the 1950s being sold online and the asking price is $5. Granted this one is not in excellent conditon but the asking price is a good indication of the worth of these books. Collectors always look for books that are over 100 years old. You might be lucky to sell your set for around $20.

Answer this Question

How much is a complete collection of World Scope encyclopedia worth?

Answers

Best Answer

$15-$25 unless it is from before 1918

Answer this Question
Load More
Consumer Advice Collectibles BooksFebruary 20, 2012
🎉
🎄
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf13085847.tip.html