Finding the Value of Old Encyclopedia Sets

Category Books
This page is great place to look for the value of old encyclopedias. Look below for feedback shared about the value of various encyclopedia sets. If you don't see your set listing, feel free to post a question.

Older encyclopedias are typically not worth much. On-line research for your specific set might help to determine value. This is a guide about finding the value of New Standard Encyclopedias.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This is a guide about finding the value of Collier's encyclopedias. Some old books may be rare and have great value. Others may be more difficult to place value on, but may have other uses.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

Many homes had these reference books because they were readily available at the supermarket in the 1950s. Although dated, encyclopedias can sometimes be sold in niche markets to crafters and some collectors.

This is a guide about finding the value of Funk and Wagnalls encyclopedias.

Although vintage or newer encyclopedias generally do not have much value, an antique set may. Research would be needed to see if your set is rare, a first edition, or has other value based on age or specific content.

This is a guide about value of New Popular encyclopedia 1902.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Most Encyclopaedias are not worth much as they were mass produced and distributed. However, if you have a particularly old or rare set on Encyclopaedias, they may have some value for a collector.

This is a guide about value of the New Educator Encyclopaedia 1948.

The value of older reference books is determined by a number of factors. The profusion of encyclopedias and the lack of the currency of their information often render them very low in value.

This is a guide about finding the value of the Encyclopedia Americana.

Many homes have a little used set of encyclopedias on the bookshelf. This is a guide about finding the value of Chamber's encyclopedias.

This is a guide about value of Richards Topical encyclopedia. There are a few websites and businesses that may help you determine the value of old reference books.

I have a set of 1961 encyclopedias from " The American Educator " and I'm wondering how much they are worth.

By Nancy R.

Answers

The place I always start with to try to find somethings resale value, is looking on ebay, it may not be very accurate, as some things never sell, but it is free, and usually fast. If not, you can probably search for that name and year, and in the list of sites, find someone that sells that very same thing, with a price they want for theirs.

Best of luck to you in valuing your books!

Nothing. Look at all that has happened and been invented since 1961. None of that is in your encyclopedias. Yet, all that is in your encyclopedias is in the new ones which are actually on CD and take up less space. You are better off throwing them out and making more room in your home.

If the covers are attractive, you may find someone who wants to use them for a craft, such as decorated books or a lampstand. I don't think they have a value otherwise.

They are worth 00000000. Sorry to say and no one will take them. Goodwill does not want them either. If they are of value to you, keep them, otherwise recycle.

I am actually looking for some vintage encyclopedias in great shape. I like the Brown and Gold, Burgundy and Gold, and Black and Red (typically Collier) sets. I think the craftsmanship and overall looks are beautiful.

This same travesty that is happening with encyclopedias is happening with other lovely books like the older Reader's Digest Condensed books, the ones with the awesome patterned covers. Book Stores won't take them, and folks almost can't give them away.

Right now I make shelves out of these books, as well as hollow book stashes. I understand some of you may think that is horrible, and that I am destroying these books. In my mind, this is one of the only ways to save these books so people of this generation can still enjoy them in some way, rather than just throwing them away.

Email me here (smartdesign at live.com), or at my Etsy shop (https://www.ets  op/FunEclecticHF) if you are interested in selling, or donating. Honestly I can't pay much (typically less than a dollar a book), and only have enough storage room for one or two sets at a time. I will consider partial sets as well, depending on price and condition. Thanks so much.

I have a complete 24 set of Collier 1987 encyclopedias in excellent continue willing to donate to anyone who can use them just cover shipping cost from NJ nice condition for anyone using to make crafts, etc.

What is the value of a Modern World Encyclopedia set? It was published by Hazel, Watson & Viney, 1935.

Answers

Best Answer

About $20 or $30. You can wait until they're 100 years old to reach more value or find someone who will buy them for more for repurposing efforts.

I have a mint condition full set of 1948 World Scope Encyclopedias - unabridged with copyright dates of 1945, 1946, 1947, and 1948. Are they worth anything?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Answers

Best Answer

You say mint condition - does that mean they were never used?

• This set "1948 World Scope Encyclopedias" could probably be valued at $75 to $175 but how long it would take to sell would be anybody's guess as most any brand/year of encyclopedias are very slow sellers.
  • There are really only a small number of people (in the world) who are interested in older sets (or even new sets for that matter).
  • But there are always exceptions and sets do sell and some are valuable so you may have to do a little more research yourself.
  • Sets are very expensive to ship and also very difficult to pack (have to be packed in such a manner that keeps them safe during their trip).
  • Amazon has some sets listed - may not any be 1948 and in different conditions but the thing with Amazon is their shipping cost is $3.99 or free and no regular seller can touch that price.
  • You will usually find that sellers will state "pick up only" on their eBay listings which means the seller is only going to sell within their area - no shipping.
  • Here are some sets presently listed on Amazon so take a look as most close years (of this brand) are pretty much the same except maybe a change in bindings.
  • www.amazon.com/.../ref=dp_olp_used_mbc?tag=thrif06-20
  • www.amazon.com/.../ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_used_olp_sr...
  • You should check your local Craigslist for a similar set or just check sets of all kinds to get an idea as to what others are listing.
  • Sadly, asking prices are no indication of value - only selling prices count.
  • You may want to try listing on Craigslist as you can start your price at any level and raise or lower according to the interest shown.
  • Always keep personal safety first when showing items listed on Craigslist.
  • Remember, good pictures are necessary to sell an item.

I have an encyclopedia that says Werner Encyclopedia, but it doesn't say Britannica. It is dated 1909 and was published in Akron, Ohio. I was hoping to get some information on that encyclopedia.

I have a set of Richard's Cyclopedias Vol 1-24. It is the complete set in an attractive binding with embossed ship design on the front. Published 1933. Any ideas on the value?

Answers

Best Answer

Wait to sell until they are 100 years old. They will be considered antique then.

I have a complete set of the 15th edition of Britannica as well as a set of Britannica Great Books of the Western World. I also have a set of 1970 Compton's Encyclopedias. How do I evaluate the worth?

I have a ten volume set collection of Grolier's "The Book of Art" 1965. They all have the original book jackets and are in great condition. What is it worth?

By Iris

Answers

Best Answer

They have some for sale on Amazon's seller market here:

http://www.amaz  p;condition=used

Full sets are available from $40 to $80.

What is the estimated value of a complete set of the encyclopedia Americana in perfect condition?

How much is an entire set of Americana encyclopedia 1904 (16 volumes) worth? They are in pretty good shape considering their age! Where can I sell them?

I am not finding this particular set either on eBay or elsewhere. Do you know what year these would be? The value?

Thanks

Answers

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias, dictionaries and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.
You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.
*

Copyright 1971

I have a copy of The Children's Encyclopedia by Arthur Mee, volumes 1 to 10. They are in excellent condition. I would just like some information on this set, as well as, if they are worth anything.

I would be grateful for any information thank you

I have a full set in excellent condition. It is a first edition. What is the value? I am looking to sell.

By Kat

Answers

I see this question asked a lot. Usually, they are worthless except for craft projects, because they are so outdated with incorrect information. You might try selling them as a set online but shipping will be probably more than the encyclopedias are worth.

Encyclopedias that are over 100 years old or have some other historical significance might be worth something. In that case, I would take it to a bookstore that specializes in old or rare books.

Good luck, let us know what the outcome is?

I have two encyclopedia collections and I'm wondering if they are worth anything. The first one has 18 volumes and is the Illustrated Home Library Encyclopedia, copyright 1957. The other one is a Encyclopedia Britannica collection 24 volumes, 1768. There's a few other books there as well.

What is the value of a set of Appleton's encyclopedias dated 1901?

I have a full set of 15 volumes of the Chambers's Encyclopaedia New Edition 1959. Can you please advise the value of same?

Load More