Finding the Value of Collier's Encyclopedias

Category Books
This is a guide about finding the value of Collier's encyclopedias. Some old books may be rare and have great value. Others may be more difficult to place value on, but may have other uses.

I have a full set of 16 volumes of Collier's Encyclopedias copyright 1992. It is still in new condition. What are they worth?
Thank you.

Answers

Best Answer

I am so sorry to have to tell you BUT I doubt if your set of Encyclopedias are of any value money wise. They are so out-date that a lot of the information is of no help today.

Most high school kids and college students get their information on the internet and also go to the library to look any thing up.

Have you considered donating them to a local thrift shop, you will find most will give you a receipt that you can then write off on your tax form.

I have a full set of Collier's Encyclopedia with Bibliography, plus 10 year books from 1973 to 1982 and a Funk & Wagnalls dictionary, International Edition and am looking to find the value in order to sell them.

Answers

Best Answer

Encyclopedia sets are difficult to sell but there are buyers for some so it is up to you to do your research to determine the price someone might pay as well as where they may be selling.

• This set is not too popular and does not appear to have a high resale value.
  • It does appear that some sets are selling for $65-$$150 but I did not see your edition among the sold. You do not state the year but I assume it must be before 1973.
  • Shipping is costly for these sets and also a difficult task so many sellers list this type of set as "pick up only" and that means a potential buyer would live in that city.
  • There seems to be more individual books being sold from this company but the prices vary (around $6-$10) and it takes a long time to sell even one book.
  • eBay, amazon and Abe's books are the biggest book sellers so those are the sites you should check for what others are asking for this brand of books.
  • Most sellers keep books/sets listed for months and even years and sometimes they never sell.
  • Here is what is currently listed on Google:
  • www.google.com/search?q=Collier%27s+Encyclopedia...
  • Ad

• Here is what has sold on eBay over the past several months:
  • www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&...
  • You may be able to find something that will help you but you may want to think about listing them on your local Craigslist as people like to see items like this and there would be no shipping involved.
  • You could list them at whatever price you wanted and reduce it if no one shows an interest.

I have a mint condition Collier's Encyclopedia set with two dictionaries. Are they worth anything or what can I do with them?

Answers

Best Answer

My husband is a part time antique auctioneer. In our area, at the most, they would bring $25.

Usually they are thrown away. However, different areas of the US and world value things differently. It all depends on if someone wants it and how much they are willing to pay for it.

I have a full set of Collier's Encyclopedias. There are 8 volumes. What price could I sell it for?

Answers

Best Answer

I have sold books just like this before. YOu can expect to sell them for $5 to $8 each.

The real problem is, a lot of folks don't want these anymore, thanks to the internet.

I have 24 volume set of Collier's encyclopedia, 1968 to 1977 year books, and A through LOBAR, LOBATE through Z are they worth anything.
Thanks.

Answers

They are worth very little. Encyclopedias over 100 years old are antiques and have value

I have a complete (24 vol.) set of Colliers Encyclopedias, 1994 edition.
They are in new condition, what might they be worth?

Answers

In general, eBay.com or amazon.com are places where you could find out what these sorts of books cost. Though there's not a very lively market for these, they still have some value, especially as a set. When I was selling books I could expect to get anything from $60 to $200 for a set, but it took a long time, even years, for the right shopper to come along.

If you really want to get rid of them, you could find out their value, donate them to a school and take a tax write off

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias, dictionaries and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.
You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

The majority of these encyclopedias are of little value. You would be better off donating it.

It is a shame that nice books like this are rarely worth very much and sometimes even difficult to give a way. Most of your thrift stores will not take them because that take up so much space and many time just do not sell - even with a 5.00 price tag.
The Internet has made these a thing of the past.
Maybe you can find a family that home schools or someone that does crafts as these may be the only way to give them away.
You can place an ad in Craig's list or Freecycle and maybe find someone to pick them up - otherwise you may just have to discard them.

I have a full set of Collier's Encyclopedias dated 1963. Are they worth anything?

I was wondering what a set of Collier"s New Encyclopedias, copyright 1921 would be worth if anything?

Thank you.

I have a full set volume 24, 1964 Colliers Encyclopedia and I was wondering how much is it worth?

I have a full set of the 1921 Collier's New Encyclopedia. Can anyone tell me what they are worth?

Answers

If you can hold on to these a few more years they will be worth something. The only time an encyclopedia or set of dictionaries has any value is when they are over 100 years old.

If you are looking for a price to sell this encyclopedia you might get around 20 or 30 dollars for it. However, it is unlikely that many people will be interested in this book.

It is true that most sets of encyclopedias are not very valuable and if listed on any auction site they are slow to sell even if the price is low. Although 1921 makes these books 96 years old most people think they would be valuable but even this age books are sometimes difficult to even give away. Thrift stores and library book sales do not want them as they do not bring very much money and usually do not sell. No one wants to deal with the weight or they room they require.
There are some sets listed on eBay (one of the largest auctions for books like this) with different asking prices. Condition means a lot with books like this as generally only collectors are interested. There have been a few sets sold since June of this year but there is no way to tell how long they were listed before they sold as sellers usually list books like this for months and months (even years). Also, shipping is expensive and a lot of trouble. Many sellers list these as "pick up only" so that is about the same as listing on a local Craigslist.
The value of this set right now would be approximately $65 (in very good condition) but still may not sell. here is a link to the sets listed on eBay presently and the second is a link to what recently sold on eBay.

http://www.ebay  8HYAAOSwr7ZW7DpY

https://www.eba  d=p2045573.m1684

Keeping these books for 10 years may not increase the value very much.

I have a full set of Collier Encyclopedias, it's a big set with hard back, black covers. Does anyone know what I can do with them, are they worth selling? I also have several Zane Grey storybooks. They are western stories. If anyone knows a collector or and info it would be nice!
Thanks

Answers

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

Zane Grey Book
http://www.zgws.org/colctrfaq.php

Your encyclopedias will probably even be difficult to give away as even thrift stores will not usually accept them anymore.

However - your Zane Grey books will sell if you list them on eBay or Amazon. How much each book is worth is something you would have to check out as some are worth more than others. Just search eBay with your book titles.

I have a complete set of Collier's Encyclopedias and yearbooks, copyright 1965. They are in excellent condition. Who will buy these and what are they worth?

By Charlotte

Answers

No one needs them. People get their information online.

I have a set of Chambers's Encyclopaedias, Revised Edition Volumes 1 - 10, published in New York by Collier Publisher in 1895. They are not in the best condition, but are intact. Can you tell me what they might be worth or where I should go to find out?

Answers

Considering the set of Encyclopedias is over 100 years old it has a value. Also, it appears that you have the complete set of encyclopedias.

Step 1
In order to receive a fair value for this set I would suggest contacting an antique book seller in your area.

Step 2
The value is determined by the condition of the books, binding, and pages.

Step 3
These books are offered on eBay, but I feel the asking price and actual selling price isn't a fair estimate of the books.

Step 4
Abebooks has an online site that can help you determine the value of your books. https://www.abe  ook-values.shtml

Step 5
Biblio is another site that helps people determine the value of their older books. https://www.biblio.com/book-value

Step 6
I would also try checking with Antique & Collectable book appraisals in your area. If you need help finding one you can check on this website. They also might be able to help you appraise your books. https://www.val  categories/books

Does a complete set of 1965 Collier's encyclopedias have any value?

Answers

What is the value of a complete set of 1921 Colliers Encyclopedia in good condition? I also, need info on value of 1955 American International Encyclopedia?

Answers

The 1921 set may have some value as sets after 1923 are worthless (including the 1955 set). Some collectors may be interested in purchasing-you can check Craig's List, EBay, auction houses for potential values. This site may also help:

http://www.book  book-values.html

I have the complete set set with bibliography. What is the value of this set and where could I sell it?

Answers

I have a set of 25 Collier's Encyclopedias By Macmillan Educational Company. I have different volumes from 1950-1987. How much are they worth and where can I sell them?

By Pretty L

Answers

Sadly most are not worth anything. You might try to sell them at a garage sale.

I have 24 Collier's Encyclopedias, year books from 1985 - 1993 and A - Z Dictionaries. I would like to sell them. What could I get for them?

By Ursua

I need to know value of a collection of 1975 Collier's Encyclopedias.

By DR

Answers

Most old books have little value now-a few dollars at best. The internet has vast banks of information both old and current, and constantly updated, so old books are essentially just dust catchers. You can try craigslist and other selling sites for possible old book collectors but they would primarily be interested in ancient books-centuries past.

How much is a set of the National Encyclopedia published by. P.F. Collier and Son Corporation, with a last copyright date listed of 1937, worth?

By j a n from Harrison, AR

Answers

Most old encyclopedias are not worth anything. This set is old enough that it might have some collectible value, but don't get your hopes up. You might check on eBay or with a second hand book seller.

What is approximate value of 1950 1st edition Collier's Encyclopedias?

By Debra from Battle Ground, WA

Load More