Finding the Value of World Book Encyclopedias

Category Books
Old reference books such as encyclopedias may have some resale or collector's value. This is a guide about finding the value of World Book encyclopedias.

I have a set of World Book Dictionaries (24 volumes). The copyright is 1988. Is there any value for these?

By heli

Answers

Best Answer

Most old dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. You can check online for old book collectors, on Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly.

Best Answer

A lot of people see these on Ebay for $100 to $200 and get excited. But that's just the price they're listed at. That doesn't mean they actually sell for that. They don't.

Most old Encyclopedias, with the exception of something extremely rare, aren't worth the cost of shipping them to a buyer.

I have a full set of the 1924 World Book encyclopedia. I am wondering if they are worth anything to sell. I feel bad because they are just sitting in my living room.

Answers

Ive seen them on Etsy for $40-$100

I have the 1964 set of World Book encyclopedias with study guide. It is time to let them go are they worth anything?

I have a set of World Book encyclopedias from around 1959 and a set from around 1980. What would be their value to sell?

Thank you.

Answers

Sad to say, these encyclopedias are worth very little. You would be better of donating them and taking the tax deduction.

I have two questions about two encyclopedias that I have. I have one that has the World Book B 2, copyright 1979 and the other one that I have is the Encyclopedia Americana volume 14, Hawaii to Index of Refraction. It has a map when you open it and then copyright is 1952, but it also has other copyrights 1957, 1927, 1929, 1931, 1932 and it goes on and goes on. I need to know the value.

Answers

Antique and vintage items are only worth what people are prepared to pay. Your best bet is to see if anyone is selling, or even better, has sold, anything similar on Ebay. Your books are not really that old. I have antique books, including books that are about 200 years old that are no more valuable than any modern second hand book. It is possible that you may be lucky enough to have a rare book in your hands, but sadly unlikely. You need to go see a real expert in person

Those books are not old enough to have any great value. With the internet, info is so easy to get on any topic, which makes encyclopedias outdated and not worth much.

Except maybe to someone who doesn't have access to the internet. Even so, the books have outdated info for the most part.

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias, dictionaries and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.
You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

I am curious. I have 1972 World Book encyclopedia collection of 228. I am wondering if there is any value. They are in great condition.

I have an old set of World Book Encyclopedias copyright 1933. Can anyone tell me what it might be worth?

I also have an old set of McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology 7th edition 1992. Can anyone tell me what this might be worth also?

How much would a 1929 World Book Encyclopedia set be worth? It is a 10 book set in excellent condition.

Answers

Im interested... they may be worthless to some people but I still think they are nice & would like to put on my shelf to use 

I have a set I would love to sell. Like new. If interested contact me at email below.

I have a set of volume 1 through 4 mechanical encyclopedias from 1897 but I am interested in selling if anybody is interested in pictures My eml is babyglove at the yahoo. I'm not sure if we are able to write out an email or not so I had put it that way

I have the entire set of 1973 World Book encyclopedias. What might they be worth if I were to sell them?

By Lisa V. from Lake Worth, FL

Answers

We get asked this question very regularly. Unfortunately, there are a glut of these types of encyclopedias. Unless they are very old or rare, they are pretty much impossible to sell. You might consider donating them to a school or retirement home as sometimes people use books for art or craft projects.

Good Luck.

Jess is right... I couldn't even sell a set of 1932 books I had at one time.

I don't think they have any real value in this new technical world. First of all, there would be many subjects that are missing new information. History would not be up to date. nor medicine, just to name a couple. And with computers in almost every home, the current information is available in an instant, no matter what the subject is. I had a set from 1973 at one time. I am so glad that I sold them as soon as my children were out of school. I kept the 2 volume dictionary, and still use it today, but so glad that I don't have the rest of the set packed away somewhere.
Harlean from Arkansas

They have no value at all as encyclopedia. You may find someone who can give them to for some sort of craft. Some people carve into them and make sculptures out of such books. Some people use them as lamp bases. However, no one is going to pay for them. Advertise them to give away on Kijii or freecycle or something like that.

I have a full set of World Book Encyclopedias, copyright 1979. They are in excellent condition. How much would they sell for and where can I sell them?

I also have a full set of Young Students Encyclopedias, copyright 1977. These are showing a bit of yellowing from age, but otherwise are in good condition. How much would they sell for and where can I sell them?

By jenj

Answers

Your best bet is to recycle them. No one can sell, give away, donate or dump-and-run a set of encyclopedias these days.

Sorry...with the unlimited knowledge available on the internet, they're nothing but a 'door stop'... recycle.

Since questions about the value of various sets of encyclopedias are appearing on this website every single day, the obvious answer is that they are worth nothing for selling purposes, since obviously most people don't want them anymore!

If you have a set in good condition, why not keep it? Most of the information is still accurate, such as the articles on art, history, biographical information, etc. You can always go online for updated information and the latest information in the sciences, sports, etc. In addition, encyclopedias have wonderful illustrations and photos. They will never be totally useless.

I have no desire to "get rid of" my World Book set, even though it's from 1960, or the Americana set from 1988 that I bought used from the library I worked for. I still use them pretty often. I'd like to replace the 1951 Britannica set we lost to water damage, along with the bookcase that came with it, but I would only take it off someone's hands, never pay for it.

You can't sell them. No one wants then fir the "knowledge" that is in them. You might be able to give them to someone for arts or crafts projects. People make lamps out of them. Some sculptors carve into them. Schools do projects called "altered books". You can't donate them to charities like Salvation Army either.

I am trying to find out the value of a complete set of the 1938 World Book Encyclopedia.

What is the value of a set of 1972 "The World Book" Encyclopedias? I have the entire 21 volume set, including 20 book volumes plus (1) 1972 Year Book.
It is in excellent condition.

Answers

*

Anonymous

thank you for the information

What is the value of complete set of 1977 World Book Encyclopedias?

By Tammy

Answers

Many people have old books they think are important and want to sell. Most old dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc., have little value - a few dollars at most. You can check online for old book collectors, on Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly.

It is not worth the shipping to send it to someone. Libraries won't take them anymore. Sometimes papercrafters use the pictures for crafts. See if you know anyone who does this.

I have a complete set of 1968 World Book encyclopedias. How much are they worth today? They are in good condition.

By Lynette C from North Brunswick, NJ

Answers

Encyclopedia sets don't have much value. Usually nobody will buy them. Maybe your local recycling company would recycle them.

How much is the value of 1965 copyright World Book encyclopedia set, in good condition?

By Kristl

Answers

Unfortunately, thanks to the internet, encyclopedia sets have virtually no resale value. Maybe you could sell it at a garage sale? Good luck.

The previous poster is correct. There is almost no use for them and charities and libraries won't take them either. You may find someone you can give them to that may want them for some sort of craft project. Altered books are one type of craft/art project that people would use them for. I have also seen lamps made from books.

I have the encyclopedia World Book of games. It is a first edition, May 1945, limited edition c643. I has never been used.

Answers

*

I have a 1948 edition of the World Book encyclopedia by Field Enterprises Educational Corporation. What is the value?

Answers

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.
You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities.

Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

I have a full set of encyclopaedias entitled "The World Book" by The New Era Publishing Co. and was wondering the value of this collection and the date of publication. Any assisstance would be great fully accepted.

Answers

I would like to know how much and where to sell my set of the 1960 edition of The World Book Encyclopedia.

Answers

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

I have a set of World Book Encyclopedias, blue in color, with the newest copyright of 1949. I have the annual supplements from 1954 through 1973. All are in excellent condition. What is their value? Thank you.

Answers

Is this of any value?

Answers

What is the value of a full set of the 50th Anniversary Edition of the World Book Encyclopedia? It was printed in 1966.

By Jeannie

What is the value of the World Book encyclopedia set?

By Misty from Gallup, NM

Answers

Seems almost everyone has old books they think are important and want to sell. Most old dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. You can check online for old book collectors, on Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

Does anyone know a value for a 1925 10 volume set of World Book Encyclopedia?

By Marie J from Dallas, TX

Answers

I have a complete set, volumes 1-10, of the 1925 World Book. It is in fair to possibly poor condition. What might be the value?

By Belinda D

Answers

If they are in poor condition, then sadly they probably aren't worth much. And you have to think of how many of those were made back in that year. It's not something rare.

I have a set of the World Book encyclopedia, isbn 0-7166-0077-3. Mine is a set of 18, as I am missing books 1, 10, 13, and 20.

By Ricky from Columbia SC

What is the value of 1983 World Book Encyclopedia set?

By Laura D.

I have a set of 43 World Book encyclopedias about science, medicine, and health from 1989 to 1992.
How much would those be worth?

By Dil

I have a limited edition, 1975, World Book and Childcraft set. It has a blue jean cover and red handkerchief inside cover. What is the value and possible interest in this set?

By Gloria from Mount Joy, PA

What is the value of the World Book Encyclopedia, version 1972?

By Paula G.

I have set of 10 World Book Encyclopedias circa 1925 including a loose leaf annual. I am curious about their value.

By Jana from Denver, CO

I have A-Z, 10 volumes of The World Book Encyclopedia USA 1925. What is the value?

By Diana N.

Can anyone tell me the value of a full set of 1969 green and white World Book encyclopedias with dictionary and year books through 1979?

Thanks.

By Darlene R.

Anyone know the value of a complete set of The World Book Encyclopedias 1965, pristine condition? Set includes A-Z (21), Yearbooks 1965-1999 (33), and Dictionary (2 vol).

By Kb

I have a full set (A to Z) of Grolier's World Book of Knowledge, which are in excellent condition and are over 30 years old. I am looking to sell, but I am unsure of their worth.

By Brian D.

Load More