Finding the Value of World Book Encyclopedias

Category Books
Old reference books such as encyclopedias may have some resale or collector's value. This is a guide about finding the value of World Book encyclopedias.

I have a set of World Book Dictionaries (24 volumes). The copyright is 1988. Is there any value for these?

By heli

Answers

Best Answer

Most old dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. You can check online for old book collectors, on Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly.

Best Answer

A lot of people see these on Ebay for $100 to $200 and get excited. But that's just the price they're listed at. That doesn't mean they actually sell for that. They don't.

Most old Encyclopedias, with the exception of something extremely rare, aren't worth the cost of shipping them to a buyer.

Does anyone know please the approximate value of 1948 era The World Book Encyclopedia set in decent condition? I believe one volume is missing.
Thank you in advance.

Answers

Best Answer

Only a few years/sets of any brand of encyclopedias are valuable and most of those are newer sets. Older sets are many times even difficult to give away because they are difficult for even thrift stores to sell.

• A "set" with one book missing is even less valuable but some sellers do list them by single books for $8-$15. Most never sell.
  • There is no era - only a last publishing date for the set.
  • Here are all of the encyclopedias listed on eBay (world Book) and Etsy (all brands). You can go through and see how they are listed and selling (this is all brands - not just World Book).
  • www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_nkw=encyclopedia+world+book...
  • www.etsy.com/.../encyclopedia_set
  • Here is a set of 1948 World Book that sold in 2016.
  • www.ebth.com/.../4743996-1948-the-world-book-encyclopedia...
  • You might try listing your set on Craigslist so there would be no shipping costs.
  • You can ask whatever price you wish and just reduce the price if no one shows an interest.

I have a complete set of the 1992 World Book Encyclopedia. What is its value?

Answers

Best Answer

All the information contained in these books is old and outdated. The books are now online and updated all the time.

If the books were published in 1902 instead of 1992 they would be worth something today. %Right now you just have a set of old books that is outdated that you might be able to sell for $25 locally.

I have an ex-library set of 22 volumes of the 2014 World Book in excellent condition. How can a non-profit group market the set to make the most money for a public library?

Answers

Best Answer

If you Google 2014 World Book Encyclopedia you will most likely find that asking prices run from $100 to $500 but you may not find what any of these actually sold for.

• The fact they are ex-library does reduce the value but if they are still in very good condition, then you may still be able to ask $100-$300.
  • These sets are difficult to sell so do not expect any fast results no matter where you list them for sale.
  • Since you are working with a non-profit you may want to try listing on your local Craigslist as anyone interested could see the books and there would be no shipping involved.
  • If you list them, you could start your price higher ($450) and see if you receive any calls. If no interest is shown then you can reduce the price until they sell.
  • Craigslist is easy to use and mostly free where other on-line sites may pose a stiff learning curve unless you are already listing other items.
  • Here is a link to present listings on eBay that will give you an idea as to seller's asking prices. Bear in mind that many of these sellers will keep relisting their items for many, many months or even years.
  • Ad

• www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4840...
  • Here is a link to sets presently offered on Amazon.
  • www.amazon.com/.../ref=tmm_hrd_used_olp_sr?tag=thrif06...
  • The following link will show you sets that actually sold on eBay in the past few months.
  • www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&...
  • Here is link to the World Book web site that has a brand new 2014 set listed $299.
  • www.worldbook.com/World-Book-Encyclopedia-2014

I listed the links so you can see that placing a value on a set like this is not an easy task as the true value is what someone will pay.
I hope you can realize a nice price as libraries are always in need of extra funds.

I have the 1964 set of World Book encyclopedias with study guide. It is time to let them go are they worth anything?

I have a set of World Book encyclopedias from around 1959 and a set from around 1980. What would be their value to sell?

Thank you.

Answers

Sad to say, these encyclopedias are worth very little. You would be better of donating them and taking the tax deduction.

I have two questions about two encyclopedias that I have. I have one that has the World Book B 2, copyright 1979 and the other one that I have is the Encyclopedia Americana volume 14, Hawaii to Index of Refraction. It has a map when you open it and then copyright is 1952, but it also has other copyrights 1957, 1927, 1929, 1931, 1932 and it goes on and goes on. I need to know the value.

Answers

Antique and vintage items are only worth what people are prepared to pay. Your best bet is to see if anyone is selling, or even better, has sold, anything similar on Ebay. Your books are not really that old. I have antique books, including books that are about 200 years old that are no more valuable than any modern second hand book. It is possible that you may be lucky enough to have a rare book in your hands, but sadly unlikely. You need to go see a real expert in person

Those books are not old enough to have any great value. With the internet, info is so easy to get on any topic, which makes encyclopedias outdated and not worth much. Except maybe to someone who doesn't have access to the internet. Even so, the books have outdated info for the most part.

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias, dictionaries and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.
You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

I am curious. I have 1972 World Book encyclopedia collection of 228. I am wondering if there is any value. They are in great condition.

I have an old set of World Book Encyclopedias copyright 1933. Can anyone tell me what it might be worth?

I also have an old set of McGraw-Hill Encyclopedia of Science & Technology 7th edition 1992. Can anyone tell me what this might be worth also?

How much would a 1929 World Book Encyclopedia set be worth? It is a 10 book set in excellent condition.

Answers

I have a complete set of 1968 World Book encyclopedias. How much are they worth today? They are in good condition.

By Lynette C from North Brunswick, NJ

Answers

Encyclopedia sets don't have much value. Usually nobody will buy them. Maybe your local recycling company would recycle them.

I have the entire set of 1973 World Book encyclopedias. What might they be worth if I were to sell them?

By Lisa V. from Lake Worth, FL

Answers

We get asked this question very regularly. Unfortunately, there are a glut of these types of encyclopedias. Unless they are very old or rare, they are pretty much impossible to sell. You might consider donating them to a school or retirement home as sometimes people use books for art or craft projects.

Good Luck.

Jess is right... I couldn't even sell a set of 1932 books I had at one time.

I don't think they have any real value in this new technical world. First of all, there would be many subjects that are missing new information. History would not be up to date. nor medicine, just to name a couple. And with computers in almost every home, the current information is available in an instant, no matter what the subject is. I had a set from 1973 at one time. I am so glad that I sold them as soon as my children were out of school. I kept the 2 volume dictionary, and still use it today, but so glad that I don't have the rest of the set packed away somewhere.
Harlean from Arkansas

They have no value at all as encyclopedia. You may find someone who can give them to for some sort of craft. Some people carve into them and make sculptures out of such books. Some people use them as lamp bases. However, no one is going to pay for them. Advertise them to give away on Kijii or freecycle or something like that.

I have a full set of World Book Encyclopedias, copyright 1979. They are in excellent condition. How much would they sell for and where can I sell them?

I also have a full set of Young Students Encyclopedias, copyright 1977. These are showing a bit of yellowing from age, but otherwise are in good condition. How much would they sell for and where can I sell them?

By jenj

Answers

Your best bet is to recycle them. No one can sell, give away, donate or dump-and-run a set of encyclopedias these days.

Sorry...with the unlimited knowledge available on the internet, they're nothing but a 'door stop'... recycle.

Since questions about the value of various sets of encyclopedias are appearing on this website every single day, the obvious answer is that they are worth nothing for selling purposes, since obviously most people don't want them anymore!

If you have a set in good condition, why not keep it? Most of the information is still accurate, such as the articles on art, history, biographical information, etc. You can always go online for updated information and the latest information in the sciences, sports, etc. In addition, encyclopedias have wonderful illustrations and photos. They will never be totally useless.

I have no desire to "get rid of" my World Book set, even though it's from 1960, or the Americana set from 1988 that I bought used from the library I worked for. I still use them pretty often. I'd like to replace the 1951 Britannica set we lost to water damage, along with the bookcase that came with it, but I would only take it off someone's hands, never pay for it.

You can't sell them. No one wants then fir the "knowledge" that is in them. You might be able to give them to someone for arts or crafts projects. People make lamps out of them. Some sculptors carve into them. Schools do projects called "altered books". You can't donate them to charities like Salvation Army either.

I have a full set of the World Book Encyclopedia including atlas. I'm looking to know the value.

I am trying to find the value of a 1953 set of World Book encyclopedias. It is a full set including Reading and Study guide.

I am trying to find out the value of a complete set of the 1938 World Book Encyclopedia.

I have a complete ten volume 1923 set of The World Book encyclopedia. Does it have any monetary value?

What is the value of a set of 1972 "The World Book" Encyclopedias? I have the entire 21 volume set, including 20 book volumes plus (1) 1972 Year Book.
It is in excellent condition.

I have a set of the World Book encyclopedia, isbn 0-7166-0077-3. Mine is a set of 18, as I am missing books 1, 10, 13, and 20.

By Ricky from Columbia SC

What is the value of complete set of 1977 World Book Encyclopedias?

By Tammy

Answers

Many people have old books they think are important and want to sell. Most old dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc., have little value - a few dollars at most. You can check online for old book collectors, on Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly.

It is not worth the shipping to send it to someone. Libraries won't take them anymore. Sometimes papercrafters use the pictures for crafts. See if you know anyone who does this.

What is the value of 1983 World Book Encyclopedia set?

By Laura D.

Load More