Value of a Set of World Book Encyclopedias?

How can I get rid of or donate a like brand new set of encyclopedias I brought I believe in 1987. I also have the year in review beginning in 1988 to I believe 1995. It has some other sets that go with it. They are basically new. My children never used it for school work only to look up information. Most volumes haven't even been opened.

These are worth very little. You can donate it and take a tax deduction.

There are a lot of these to be sold, they are only worth more when they are over 100 years. Right now $25 to $50.Maybe a collector or auction could get you a better price!

The set of just the encyclopedias without the other materials just sold on eBay for $55, but the SELLER paid the shipping so he/she probably netted about $10-15 after fees and postage because they are quite heavy to ship.

There has been a small resurgence of sales in encyclopedias and related books but you have to be in the right place--which is in a community that is heavy with artists--those who do paper crafts an tear them apart and those who do sculptures and assembles and construction--who turn them into tables, lamps, and other really cool things.

Artists don't like to pay a lot for them, so you would probably make $5-20 depending on how much the artists wanted it.

If you have an artist community or a place like we do in Pittsburgh called Center for Creative Resuse, they can tell you if they will take them (donation).

Where I am no thrift or consignment store or bookstore will take them (sad).

We do have (if you go into the city) one place that will take them for recycling (again--sad).

I did recently find this nice website which offers a few other options--I have not checked it all out yet, so if you have luck with any of the sources--please post back! That would be wonderful to know how else will take them!encyclopedias:

livegreen.recyclebank.com/.../what-can-i-do-with-used-reference...

Thanks for asking!

Years ago before the internet and all the information being available at our fingertips these books were sold used for hundreds of dollars. However, today they are considered outdated and worthless because the information online can be updated so quickly. If you try to sell books like this online the shipping cost is more than you will make for the sale of the item. People are just not interested in books like these today. You will be lucky if you can get $25 to $50 for the set of books. I would try to sell them locally to avoid shipping costs.

Consumer Advice Collectibles BooksOctober 28, 2019
📓
🐛
😷
🌻
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Value-of-a-Set-of-World-Book-Encyclopedias.html