Find the Value of New Standard Encyclopedias

Category Books
Older encyclopedias are typically not worth much. On-line research for your specific set might help to determine value. This is a guide about finding the value of New Standard Encyclopedias.

I have the 1954 New Standard Encyclopedia by Standard Education Society. I have a 10 volume set plus the yearly updates from 1954 to 1962 which are pamphlets bound in a hard cover. Is there any market for these? They are very fancy and I would say in good shape.

By Craig L.

Answers

If you still have any of these, I would be interested. please contact me at franksoda AT outlook.com
Thanks

I am interested if you still have these.
Thanks
franksoda AT outlook.com

I have the set of these the 50th anniversary and the dictionary to it nice new condition from 1965

I have a full 14 volume set of New Standard Encyclopedias that are from 1972. We have decided to sell them to get some of the money we need to start a non profit foundation to promote S.I.D.S Awareness. The issue we have is that we don't know what the value of a set like this is or if there is any value at all. Anyone with any info about them please let us know. Thank you!

By Natasha S.

Answers

I doubt you could get much more than maybe ten dollars for these, unfortunately.

You might consider looking into a charitable license so you could sell fundraising raffle tickets with the set as the prize. Your local newspaper might give you a bit of ink in the community pages, and help you solicit a few more donations too, to 'sweeten the pot'.

Good luck to you in this. My older brother died due to SIDS in 1955 and I don't think my family ever really got over the grief.

I have a 1952 set of New Standard Encyclopedias consisting of 10 volumes. It is in excellent condition. What might this be worth?
Thank you!

Answers

Best Answer

First - are you sure you have a complete set? There were not very many encyclopedia sets published with only 10 volumes is why I am asking. This year and publisher may have been the exception.

• In general, most encyclopedias are not very valuable and many times even difficult to give away.
  • New Standard Encyclopedias are also known as Funk & Wagner so you can check prices on either name. eBay sells sets so you could check out their site for 2 or 3 months to get a better idea of what is selling and for what price.
  • Ad

• It seems the current value would be from $10 - $45 but may be difficult to sell even at that low price.
  • You may see some sets with asking prices much higher but those are just that - asking prices and rarely sell for high prices.
  • All most encyclopedias are very slow sellers and auction site sellers may keep relisting sets for months and even years and still may never sell them.
  • The Internet has almost all of this information and up to date material and it is free so not many people actually have any need for these books or want to use up space keeping them.
  • It is true however, some sets are exceptions but this brand was a lower end set and is rarely a collectors item.
  • Here is what one appraiser stated:
  • An asking price is probably not a selling price, but what a seller hopes to get.
  • What they actually sell for is another story. A story of what they're actually worth to someone, and I'm afraid to inform you, that value is for less then ten dollars.
  • Ad

• Ask yourself these questions. Were they mass produced? Do they represent current knowledge? Are there places where you can get the same knowledge today for free? See what I mean?
  • Most likely a buyer of these will use them as fuel for their wood stove.

If you are interested in selling your set, I would suggest you list it on Craigslist or any other local auction site so someone can take a look at the set and if sold, no shipping involved. You can ask whatever price you want and change it if no seems interested.

I have a set of 10 volumes of the New Standard pictorial edition 1945, and a 1945 and 1946 World Progress standard quarterly review. The encyclopedia set is in excellent condition, the reviews are worn.

Answers

If a set is complete and is over 100 years old, it has value. In your case, it is not over 100 years old. I assume it is incomplete as well.

BOOKS
Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Libraries, Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias, dictionaries and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.
You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

The only time an old set of encyclopedias is worth anything is when they are 100+ years old. Unfortunately, nobody is interested in purchases a set of books such as this. Schools, libraries, and donation centers won't accept these books any longer. There are way too many people trying to sell them or give them away.

Your best bet is to list them on Craig's list in your area for around $25 to $35 for the set. Maybe someone is interested in purchasing them to make crafts or other items such as wood for a fireplace. Selling them online would not be profitable because of the cost of shipping these books to the buyer.

There not worth very much.We have too much technology no one wants them anymore.

What is the value of New Standard Encyclopedia Vol 12 1983? Also, included is the Encyclopedia Dictionary & Popular Mechanics Do It Yourself books.

Answers

I am so sorry to tell you that this set of encyclopedias doesn't carry much value. For a set of books or encyclopedias to have a value they need to be over 100+ years old. Here are some ideas as to what you can do with these books:

Step 1
You can try selling them at a garage sale. I would suggest selling them in your area. This saves money on shipping.

Step 2
If there is a few do it yourself books you might want to contact a local organization in your area. Groups such as the Boys and Girls club might be interested in some of the do it yourself guides.

Step 3
You can try a book recycle center in your area and see if they buy these types of book to recycle. You can't donate them to a school, library, or even a collection center because they have too many. Most of them are sent to a recycling center because nobody is interested in buying them.

Step 4
You can hold on to the book or even give them to a family member. Some people will take these older books for the pictures in them. Some use them for craft projects.

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias, dictionaries and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

They are not worth anything.With all the computers and technology we have today no one even needs them anymore sorry.

1983s are not worth much at all. I recently sold my set to a lady who crafts items out of the, though-- you're more likely to get someone to buy them for such purposes.

I have a set of New Standard Encyclopedia, 1981, and The Science Library that is in mint condition. Can anyone tell me how to find out if they have any value?

By Claudia Anderson

Answers

I checked ebay and there is a set on there for $113.00 . That doesn't mean they will get it but it might give you some Idea. There isn't a real big call for these anymore since the internet made information so easy to get to.

Check www.abebooks.com. I did a search for "New Standard Encyclopedia" and the going rate from used booksellers for a set is $1.00. As a librarian, I'll tell you that encyclopedias are updated every year, so no one wants a set from 1981 for doing research. However, your encyclopedias could be re-purposed as stage props in a local theater production; used in an art project if there's artists in your town who work with old books or collage; used for door stops or to raise up computer terminals to eye level; or simply turned to pulp at your local recycling center. If you've got a freecycle group in your area (www.freecycle.org) offer them as a giveaway.

The pictures in them might be useful for kids school projects but I doubt anyone will pay anything for them.

I have a full set of the New Standard encyclopedia, copyright 1931. It consists of 25 books plus the study book and the 1933, 34, 35, 36, and 37 year books. I am just wondering how much this complete set with the upgraded extras that came with them would sell for. The books are in very good condition.

Answers

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

I have a set of The Book of Popular Science, copyright by Grolier (1961) - 1 to 10 and 1 copy of New Standard Encyclopedia 1968. They are in good condition.

By Shane D from Richards Bay, SA

Answers

Most old books have little value now-a few dollars at best. The internet has vast banks of information both old and current, and constantly updated, so old books are essentially just dust catchers. You can try craigslist and other selling sites for possible old book collectors but they would primarily be interested in ancient books-centuries past.

I have several encyclopedias from this era. I was wondering if they have any value, and who could I sell them to.

By Cindy Mc

Answers

Likely nobody. No one wants old encyclopedia. You could check with a store that sells antique books, but I doubt that they would be interested. However, these are quite old, so there may be some interest. Perhaps a pioneer museum would like them for a school display.

I have an entire set of the 2004 New Standard Encyclopedia. Almost all of the books are still in the plastic "wrapper" they arrived in. All are in brand new condition. What can I possibly sell these for?

By Kelly V from F.F., CA

Answers

Hi - it is sad but it is very difficult to even "give" sets away. Many library book sales will not take them The Internet is so easy and always up to date.

Try checking your set out on eBay or Craigs list and you may be lucky
and have a set that will sell.

I have a full set of the New Standard Encyclopedia, 1958 edition, plus 2 volume dictionary. These books are in excellent condition. What would be a resell value?

By Kathy M.

I have a full set, leather bound, New Standard Encyclopedias from 2006. Sadly, it is still wrapped in plastic. I paid over $3k. What is value now and best way to sell?

By Malea

I have a full set of New Standard Encyclopedias from 1965. Are they worth anything?

By Pam S

What is value of a set of New Standard Encyclopedia copyright 1949, Chicago Standard Education Society? It is in good condition.

By Deena from west Monroe, LA

I have a complete set (10), of New Standard Encyclopedias, printed in 1933. The whole set is leather bound and is in excellent condition. What is the value?

By Nancy

What would be the value on a set of New Standard Encyclopedias 1030 to date, Aiton's Encyclopedia 1910, Standard reference work 1912 and later?