Finding the Value of Chamber's Encyclopedias

Category Books
Stack of encyclopedias.
Many homes have a little used set of encyclopedias on the bookshelf. This is a guide about finding the value of Chamber's encyclopedias.

I have a set of 15 Chambers encyclopedias from 1973 in very good condition. I was wondering if these are worth anything?

By Derren D.

Best Answer

No. Old encyclopedia are not worth anything. It is difficult to give them away. Sometimes people use them for crafts, such as paper carving or for lamps. Advertise on something like freecycle to see if someone will take them off your hands. No charity will take them.

I have an 8 volume set of Chamber's Encyclopedias from 1890. It is in pretty good condition. Is there anyone or anyplace that buys old sets like this?

Answer Was this helpful? 1

You can try online book sellers & collectors, EBay, Craig's List. A good place to start your research:

http://www.book  book-values.html

I have an encyclopedia entitled Chambers's Encyclopaedia of Universal Knowledge volume 5. It looks to be from the late 1800s. Does this book have any value?

Answers

This is not a complete set. Most of these books, even if they are old, don't have value unless they are rare first editions. You could take it to a bookseller to make sure.

Thanks for your timely response

These books do go up for sale on eBay but are slow sellers.

Here are a couple of eBay sites with Chamber's Encyclopaedia books for sale. Just remember - being up for sale (at any price) does not mean the book(s) will ever sell.

http://www.ebay  ers-encyclopedia

http://www.ebay  d=p2045573.m1684

Unfortunately, unless you can find someone who collects archaic information, the books no longer have value (from an academic perspective). The contents are outdated.

How much are my Chamber's encyclopaedias worth? They were reprinted in 1969. They are white with dust covers and in mint condition.

By Chris

Nothing.

Well, short but sweet but not necessarily true. On ebay, older sets range from 13.95 to 59.95. However, that is what is being asked, not what anyone is buying them for, and until they do buy them, we don't know if they are being sold.

Do you have a local museum that might like them? Perhaps an assisted living place where they still love books? Sadly, Encyclopedia's have gone the way of the betamax, but they might be a real coup to someone who has no computer. I would put them on Craigslist and see if you have any takers.

Good Luck. PBP

People occasionally use them for crafts and art projects. I don't think anyone would pay for them, though. I wouldn't. 1969 isn't vintage or anything.

I own a 1955 set of Chamber's Encyclopedias. It consists of 15 volumes and 2 volumes of Chambers Encyclopedia World Survey 1960 and 1961.

They were hand made in London, England and are bound in red leather and embossed with 24k gold.

I would like to sell them and I need to know their current market value.

By Juliette W.

Sorry. They are worth nothing. You can't even donate them to a library. They won't take them.

You might find someone who wants them for crafts or art projects. Try posting them as giveaways on the local Kijii or Craigslist or whathaveyou.

I am wondering what value a set of 8 encyclopedias from 1892 might have.

EBay has many sets and single volumes of around 1870 forward and has a set of 1889 for $39.99. You can try further online searches, auction houses, book collectors, etc,. for more information.

I have a collection of Chambers Encyclopedia of Universal Knowledge 1908, printed by J.B. Lippincott Philadelphia. Does anyone know if they are worth anything?

By Joe

Old encyclopedias are worthless after 1923 so yours may have some value. You can try an online search for EBay, Craigslist and other similar to see if someone is trying to sell your 1908 year for possible values or try this site to start calculating value:

http://flipsy.c  s-Worth-Anything

Is a complete set of Chambers Encyclopedia published in Edinburgh in 1876 worth anything?

By Faye V.

Found many older encyclopedias for sale online-EBay, Craigslist, etc., including Chambers 1876. One set of all was offered for $400. Other individual volumes run $10-45. Most old books such as these are usually sold to old book collectors and have little value.

I have 4 volumes of Chamber's Encyclopedia (1860 version) in good condition. Does anyone know an approximate value of these books?

By Susan D.

Yes, about $80-120 a piece.

I have 10 volumes of Chamber's Encyclopaedia 1860-80, in quite good condition.
I like them because they look really nice in the bookshelves. Unfortunately, I no longer have enough space for them. Are they possible to sell?

By Malin from Stockholm, Sweden

$80-120 a piece

We have a complete set, 10 volumes 1888-1892), of Chamber's encyclopedias, mostly in good condition for their age. I was wondering what they may be worth, if anything?

By Karina R.

There are dozens of questions on this site about the value of old encyclopedia sets.

It would be great if Thrifty Fun would just put a notice on the front page that old encyclopedias have no value. Then we wouldn't have to give the same answer a lot of different times.

Does Chamber's Encyclopedia of Universal Knowledge printed in 1885 have any value?

By Stephanie M

Go to Worthpoint.com on the web for $9.99/mo you can research all kinds of things. I just found out I have a book worth $130.00 and they also have an antique for sale section where you can advertise it.

Good Luck.

I was just wondering, I have a full Chambers's Encyclopedia - A Dictionary of Universal Knowledge from 1906. It is in good condition. Anyone got an idea if its worth any money?

By Vee

http://www.rare  products_id=4038

This site has an 1887 set for $425.

Just search for your set online, and you may find other sites with that date.

Best of luck to you!

I have 1897 Chambers's Encyclopedia in 10 volumes in good condition. Can someone can help me to know that how much it is worth?

I have a mint condition set of the Chambers's Encyclopedia set of 15 volumes from 1956 by George Newnes, plus three survey encyclopedias that match the other 15 volumes.
Does anyone know the estimated value of the entire set in excellent condition?

By Jaf. W

I have all 10 volumes of the Chambers's encyclopedia from 1924 W and R Chambers Limited, London and Edinburgh. They are all in great condition. What would the value be? Thank you.

By Gerda P

I have a 1923 set of Illustrated Chambers Encyclopedia, great condition, 10 volumes. All paint transfers with covering paper.

By Peter from Newry, Northern Ireland

How much is a set of 7 Chambers' Encyclopaedias by William and Robert Chambers 1888 worth? It is in good condition.

By Fiona S

I have a 1891, eight volume set of Chambers Encyclopedia.
How do I find out it's value?

By Connie M. from Youngsville, LA

I have a complete set of Chambers encyclopedias, from 1925, in good condition. How much are they worth?

By Chris

What is the value of a set of Chambers Encyclopedias from 1894? It is a full set A-Z.

By Stacey

I would like to find the value of the Chambers Enclyclopaedia New Editon 1895 Green and Gold and I am looking for volume VII: ROUT - PEAR.

By Mrs Baker

I have a 1924 set of green hardback Chambers Encyclopaedias. There are 9 volumes, in very good condition. What would they be worth?

By Sandy

I have a complete 10 volume set of Chambers's Encyclopaedia, published by William and Robert Chambers, limited London and Edinburgh, J.B.Lippincott Company, Philadelphia 1892.
It is a perfect conservation. I would like sell it. Any suggestions?

By Maria C.

I have a 10 volume set of the 1901 Chambers Encyclopaedias and I was wondering what their value would be? They are in good condition. Many thanks.

By Mark C

I have a set of Chambers Encyclopedias published by J. B. Lippincott Company. I am not sure what year, but they are very old. I have 9 of 10 volumes and they are in decent shape. Are they of any value?

By Mark M.

I have a set of Chambers 1901 encyclopedias. How much are they worth?

By Ed S

I have a set of Chambers Encyclopedias, New Edition 1888, in good condition. How do I find its value?

By Stuart V

What is the value of a 12 volume set of the Students Handy Edition of Chambers' Encyclopaedia? I could not find a date on any page, but on the title page it states "with very large additions upon topics of special interest to American readers; and giving American statistics of population down to the census of 1890'. All 12 volumes are in very good condition and they belong to my mother who is trying to downsize. Thank you.

By Grace W.

I have 15 volumes of Chambers encyclopedias and I was wondering if they are worth anything?

By Angela

How can I determine the value of a 10 volume, 1892 Chambers encyclopaedia set?

By Tracey from Penryn, CA

Answers:

Finding the Value of an Encyclopedia Set

I tried giving book sets to the local library, like the hard bound Readers Digest and National Geographic. They would not take them. And they said they wouldn't take encyclopedias.The same with most of the charities, they can't sell them and they don't have room to store them. If you happen to have a rare set, maybe a college or school would take them. You might try Overlookedbook AT aol.com and see if Maryjo can help you with ideas. Good luck.
(07/14/2010)

By Great Granny Vi