Finding the Value of Encyclopedia Britannica Encyclopedias

Category Books
Sets of these often updated reference books are not as useful as they used to be, since the advent of the computer. This guide is about finding the value of Encyclopedia Britannica encyclopedias.

Hi, for everyone asking questions as to the value of Encyclopaedia Britannica sets, the basic guideline is that the 1st up until the 8th Editions have great collector values, defined by condition. The 9th and 10th Editions are so numerous that they are of small value; up to maybe $3-500 in good condition. Anything after the 11th, 12th, 13th (1910-1928) is basically worthless.

This is a guide about value of Encyclopedia Britannica 1768. While the date in the title may lead you to believe that your encyclopedia set is very old, it is important to know that they have been reprinted numerous times over the years. In order to get an accurate value, you must know what the actual copyright date is for your set.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I have an Encyclopaedia Britannica published in 1963. It also has a complementary bible and two year books as added extras. It is in its original bookcase. Is it worth any money or collecting?

By J. Scott

Answers

Make sure yours are not the R.S. Peale reprints. If your set is original it's worth something most likely :)

I <might> be interested in purchasing them if the price is right. What is your thinking on price?

Anonymous

I have Britannica encyclopedia volume 1-24, additional volumes of year 1961-1967 all in the original cabinet. How much is it worth?

I have volume 13 of a set Encyclopedia Britannica, copyright 1948. It is in n perfect condition. What would it be worth?

Answers

Best Answer

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

We have the whole set, 1974 Britannica Encyclopedias 1-23 and Index, which was handed to us. I am wanting to know how much they would be worth.

Answers

Best Answer

Encyclopedias that are +100 years old are valuable to collectors as long as they are in good condition. Depending on the year of the book, condition of the cover and pages will determine the price. However, encyclopedia that only date back to 1974 have no value whatsoever.

If you try to donate the books to a school, library, or thrift store, they won't accept them. These institutions receive so many encyclopedias that they normally end up sending them to a paper recycle center.

Selling the books online will prove rather expensive when you try to ship them to the buyer.

Your best bet is to put these out at a yard sale and see if anyone would like to buy them from you. If the books are nicely illustrated, a few crafters will take the books to make crafts with them.

It is very hard to get rid of these books because they have no real value to people. All the information is readily available online and people no longer need these types of reference books.

How can I tell how old a set of three Britannica encyclopedias are? They're a set of three, volumes 1, 2, and 3.

We found in prime condition some Encyclopedia Britannica, volume 3 1768, publisher William Benton. The only problem is there is not a complete set. These are beautiful books; they look like they have never been used. How much would these books be worth, considering they are not a full set?

By Dianna L.

Answers

Hi, please let me know if you still have the Encyclopaedia Britannica 1st Edition volume 3 that you mentioned in your post. You can email me at mrmima AT yahoo.de

Hey Dianna, do you still have the books? mail me at mrmima AT yahoo.de please.

What's the value of a 1990 set of encyclopedia Britannica?

By Alicia from St. Croix, VI

Answers

Best Answer

You can check online for old book collectors for price possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

How much is a set of Britannica Encyclopedias published in 1989 worth? Where can I sell them for a good price?

By Charlene

Answers

Best Answer

Old encyclopedias have no value. You will be hard pressed to give them away. Charities and Thrift shops will not take them. No one wants them. If you are lucky, you could advertise them on something like Freecycle, and perhaps you might find someone who wants them for crafts. I have seen people make sculptures or lamps out of them. You will never sell them.

Where can I obtain a 1797 Encyclopedia Britannica?

I have a brand new 2010 Encyclopedia Britannica set. It's never been opened, including year book, full set boxed and wrapped. It's the final printed edition. It's been stored in a dark dry place, currently located in Australia. I am considering selling, it was purchased and I still have the receipt. It's never been opened due to having worked overseas.

I have a 15th edition Encyclopedia Britannica, heritage edition. How much are they worth? Will/could they increase in value in the future?

I am just wondering how much a set of 1969 Encyclopedia Britannica 23 volumes, white in color is worth. I saw it on eBay for $899 and wondering if it is accurate.

Thanks.

I have a complete set of 1911 (11th ed.) leather bound, gilded edges, Cambridge University Press, Encyclopedia Britannica. Are they worth anything? Every book is well preservered in pristine condition. No damage to spines.

By Naiomi V.

Answers

Most old dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online. An online search produced many possibilities of value, however, most were in the range of $20-$75 per set.

Hi
I'd be very interested in purchasing these from you if they're still available. I'd give a fair price. They're not really valuable....but I'm a clergyman and there are some articles about baptism and faith that are not available in later editions so they are of interest to me. Thanks for your consideration (619)312-5102

Please be careful when you take online advice! Your encyclopedia is very valuable. Please check out the following link: http://www.alib  ica-11th-edition . A leather edition is the last listed on the page. Most encyclopedias are not valuable any more. Yours is likely the most valuable edition.

How do I find the estimated value of a complete set of a 1994 edition and four year books from 1943-47?

By John M.

Answers

I'm 99.99% sure it is all worth nothing other than possible sentimental value.

In my limited experience, encyclopedia sets are worth very little, but contact a book appraiser for a professional opinion. The yearbooks are interesting, especially to someone born in a particular year. You might want to check with your local library, too. Good luck!

I have to agree with Garnett and Bella.

You may be able to give them away to someone who does crafts or art. There are people who make fantastic artwork/sculptures with altered books. Perhaps an innovative art teacher at a school would be interested in these for this purpose. Google "Brian Dettmer" to see examples of what kind of art can be made.

I have a set of Encyclopedia Britannica from 1964 with the Books of the Year from 1965 through 1981. What is my set of books worth?

I am just wondering what the value might be of the Children's Encyclopedia Brittanica 12 volumes, 1960 Edition?

I have a whole set of 1888 Encyclopaedia Britannica, ninth edition vol v. I would like to find out what it is worth.

I have a 1957 or 1959, 24 volume Encyclopedia Britannica set along with 5 world books for the years of 1959, 1960, 1961, 1963, and 1965. I am questioning their approximate worth or value.

What is the value of a 32 volume set of a 1926 Encyclopedia Britannica?

This set of Encyclopedia Britannica was updated and republished in 1979, by International Encyclopedia Britannica Inc. Library of Congress card no. 77-94292. It is a set of 30 volumes. They are all leather bound. I am looking for a price or cost of such a set. Is this set of any value anymore? Otherwise I will donate it to any organization that wants them. Thanks.

I have the complete set of Encyclopaedia Britannica or: a Dictionary of Arts and Sciences compiled upon a new plan in which the different sciences and arts are digested in distinct Treaties or Systems. It is illustrated with 160 copperplates by a society of Gentlemen in Scotland. There are 3 volumes. It is in mint condition. It was published in Edinburgh; printed for A. Bell and C. Macfarquharand, fold by Colin Macfarquhar, at his printing office, Nicolfon-ftreet M.D.C.C.L.X.X.I year-1771

By Emily P from Atlanta, GA

Answers

If you do a search on eBay with this term "1771 Encyclopaedia Britannica". You'll find several for sale. They currently range from $55 to $180. If you are a register eBay user you can also look at completed items. Looks like the last set to sell was $79.95. The nice thing is they all have pictures and descriptions on eBay so you should be able to match it up to what you have. Good luck!

I'd like to know the value of a complete and original, copyrighted, 24 vol. encyclopedia Britannica, from 1929, in its original wooden case furniture (2 feet 26 inches W x 2 feet 30 inches H x 1 foot 13 inches D, approximately) that I've just inherited. It looks vintage, but is in excellent condition. It seems it was mainly used as a decoration item. Thanks.

By Sandra T.

Answers

I would take it to a pawn shop. I don't think you're going to get very many answers on this website.

Try looking them up on Ebay.

This looks to be in good shape but most of the time old encyclopedias do not sell well. They never are as worth as much as you think. I had some from when my mom taught country school in the early 30's and couldn't get rid of them. Best place to look as someone suggested is ebay.

I have an incomplete set of the 1910 - 1911 edition (Cambridge University). It is bound in black leather and I am curious of its value. I have 19 of the 29 volumes, in excellent shape!

What is the value?

Load More