Finding the Value of Encyclopedia Britannica Encyclopedias

Category Books
Sets of these often updated reference books are not as useful as they used to be, since the advent of the computer. This guide is about finding the value of Encyclopedia Britannica encyclopedias.

Hi, for everyone asking questions as to the value of Encyclopaedia Britannica sets, the basic guideline is that the 1st up until the 8th Editions have great collector values, defined by condition. The 9th and 10th Editions are so numerous that they are of small value; up to maybe $3-500 in good condition. Anything after the 11th, 12th, 13th (1910-1928) is basically worthless.

I have an Encyclopaedia Britannica published in 1963. It also has a complementary bible and two year books as added extras. It is in its original bookcase. Is it worth any money or collecting?

By J. Scott

Answers

Make sure yours are not the R.S. Peale reprints. If your set is original it's worth something most likely :)

I <might> be interested in purchasing them if the price is right. What is your thinking on price?

Anonymous

I have Britannica encyclopedia volume 1-24, additional volumes of year 1961-1967 all in the original cabinet. How much is it worth?

Anonymous

I have a set from 1948 complete with book of the year also beginning in 1948 all the way through 2011

I have volume 13 of a set Encyclopedia Britannica, copyright 1948. It is in n perfect condition. What would it be worth?

Answers

Best Answer

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

I have a set of Encyclopedia Britannica 1768, I have all but 2 books in the set, which are 18 and 19. Are they worth anything?

By Meredith

Answers

Best Answer

Because these books are so old, I would contact an antique book dealer in your local area. They can give you a good assessment based on the rarity and condition of the books. Most encyclopedias and other reference books are not worth anything at all, unless they are from before 1840.

How can I tell how old a set of three Britannica encyclopedias are? They're a set of three, volumes 1, 2, and 3.

We found in prime condition some Encyclopedia Britannica, volume 3 1768, publisher William Benton. The only problem is there is not a complete set. These are beautiful books; they look like they have never been used. How much would these books be worth, considering they are not a full set?

By Dianna L.

Answers

Hi, please let me know if you still have the Encyclopaedia Britannica 1st Edition volume 3 that you mentioned in your post. You can email me at mrmima AT yahoo.de

Hey Dianna, do you still have the books? mail me at mrmima AT yahoo.de please.

What's the value of a 1990 set of encyclopedia Britannica?

By Alicia from St. Croix, VI

Answers

Best Answer

You can check online for old book collectors for price possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

How much is a set of Britannica Encyclopedias published in 1989 worth? Where can I sell them for a good price?

By Charlene

Answers

Best Answer

Old encyclopedias have no value. You will be hard pressed to give them away. Charities and Thrift shops will not take them. No one wants them. If you are lucky, you could advertise them on something like Freecycle, and perhaps you might find someone who wants them for crafts. I have seen people make sculptures or lamps out of them. You will never sell them.

Where can I obtain a 1797 Encyclopedia Britannica?

I have a 15th edition Encyclopedia Britannica, heritage edition. How much are they worth? Will/could they increase in value in the future?

I have a set of Encyclopedia Britannica 1768 that is in its own little bookcase. How much is it worth? On the top of the bookcase is a much larger book that fits into its own notch.

I am just wondering how much a set of 1969 Encyclopedia Britannica 23 volumes, white in color is worth. I saw it on eBay for $899 and wondering if it is accurate.

Thanks.

Answers

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

I have 26 volumes of the encyclopedia Britannica, I didn't know there was as many as 29 in the 11th edition

I have a complete set of 1911 (11th ed.) leather bound, gilded edges, Cambridge University Press, Encyclopedia Britannica. Are they worth anything? Every book is well preservered in pristine condition. No damage to spines.

By Naiomi V.

Answers

Most old dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online. An online search produced many possibilities of value, however, most were in the range of $20-$75 per set.

Hi
I'd be very interested in purchasing these from you if they're still available. I'd give a fair price. They're not really valuable....but I'm a clergyman and there are some articles about baptism and faith that are not available in later editions so they are of interest to me. Thanks for your consideration (619)312-5102

Please be careful when you take online advice! Your encyclopedia is very valuable. Please check out the following link: http://www.alib … ica-11th-edition . A leather edition is the last listed on the page. Most encyclopedias are not valuable any more. Yours is likely the most valuable edition.

I have a 1957 or 1959, 24 volume Encyclopedia Britannica set along with 5 world books for the years of 1959, 1960, 1961, 1963, and 1965. I am questioning their approximate worth or value.

What is the value of a 32 volume set of a 1926 Encyclopedia Britannica?

This set of Encyclopedia Britannica was updated and republished in 1979, by International Encyclopedia Britannica Inc. Library of Congress card no. 77-94292. It is a set of 30 volumes. They are all leather bound. I am looking for a price or cost of such a set. Is this set of any value anymore? Otherwise I will donate it to any organization that wants them. Thanks.

I have the complete set of Encyclopaedia Britannica or: a Dictionary of Arts and Sciences compiled upon a new plan in which the different sciences and arts are digested in distinct Treaties or Systems. It is illustrated with 160 copperplates by a society of Gentlemen in Scotland. There are 3 volumes. It is in mint condition. It was published in Edinburgh; printed for A. Bell and C. Macfarquharand, fold by Colin Macfarquhar, at his printing office, Nicolfon-ftreet M.D.C.C.L.X.X.I year-1771

By Emily P from Atlanta, GA

Answers

If you do a search on eBay with this term "1771 Encyclopaedia Britannica". You'll find several for sale. They currently range from $55 to $180. If you are a register eBay user you can also look at completed items. Looks like the last set to sell was $79.95. The nice thing is they all have pictures and descriptions on eBay so you should be able to match it up to what you have. Good luck!

If you really do have original 1st edition 3 volume set of the Encyclopaedia Britannica, please contact me for more information at mrmima AT yahoo.de

Hi Emily P. Do you still have your set of Encyclopaedia Britannica from 1771? If you want an appraisal please email me with more information to mrmima hat yahoo dot de

Hi Lewissan, obviously you are not aware that the items you have found on the websites you listed are 'Facsimilie' copies. The original 1st Editions are worth several thousand pounds.

I'd like to know the value of a complete and original, copyrighted, 24 vol. encyclopedia Britannica, from 1929, in its original wooden case furniture (2 feet 26 inches W x 2 feet 30 inches H x 1 foot 13 inches D, approximately) that I've just inherited. It looks vintage, but is in excellent condition. It seems it was mainly used as a decoration item. Thanks.

By Sandra T.

Answers

I would take it to a pawn shop. I don't think you're going to get very many answers on this website.

Try looking them up on Ebay.

This looks to be in good shape but most of the time old encyclopedias do not sell well. They never are as worth as much as you think. I had some from when my mom taught country school in the early 30's and couldn't get rid of them. Best place to look as someone suggested is ebay.

That's the first printing of the 14th edition. With the original bookcase it's collectible. See original advertisements for that set on eBay. It came out a month before the stock market crash. You might get $100-$250 for it.

I use PDF versions of the 9th, 11th and 12th editions freely downloaded at Archive.org and print versions of the 13th edition (1926), 14th edition (1957) and 15th edition (1991) as well as the DVD software 15th edition (2011).

How do I find the estimated value of a complete set of a 1994 edition and four year books from 1943-47?

By John M.

Answers

I'm 99.99% sure it is all worth nothing other than possible sentimental value.

In my limited experience, encyclopedia sets are worth very little, but contact a book appraiser for a professional opinion. The yearbooks are interesting, especially to someone born in a particular year. You might want to check with your local library, too. Good luck!

I have to agree with Garnett and Bella.

You may be able to give them away to someone who does crafts or art. There are people who make fantastic artwork/sculptures with altered books. Perhaps an innovative art teacher at a school would be interested in these for this purpose. Google "Brian Dettmer" to see examples of what kind of art can be made.

I have an incomplete set of the 1910 - 1911 edition (Cambridge University). It is bound in black leather and I am curious of its value. I have 19 of the 29 volumes, in excellent shape!

What is the value?

I have a set of Brittanica Macropaedia/Encyclopaedia, Volume 5. I need to know what to do with it. Please advise.

I have a complete set of encyclopedias and micropedias with dictionaries from the late 1980s. I am just wondering what they could be worth. Unfortunately they are just sitting in a box collecting dust.
Thank you.

What would the value of a 1891 set of encyclopedia Britannica be in mint condition?

What is the value of a 1768 Britannica Atlas? It is in perfect condition with a white/cream hard cover. It is 246 years old.

By Jenny H.

Answers

You may find some information on Google or eBay but usually not worth a lot and takes a long time to find an interested buyer.
You might try Craigslist also.

I am afraid you are confused by the date printed on the front of your Edition. Please look inside your books for more information, I do believe the white/cream covers indicate a possible 15th Edition, which is unfortunately almost worthless however, they do possess wonderful decorative charm for display.

How much would a set of 1945 Encyclopedia Britannica in great shape be worth?

By Annnie from Brooklyn, NY

Answers

Sorry, old encyclopedias are worth nothing. No one will take them either. The information in them is mostly outdated. I often thought some of the pictures might be fun for children to cut out.

I'd agree that they are worth nothing unless someone wants to cut out the pictures for some thing or make fire starters.

Nothing. Even a set that is less than 10 years old (for tax purposes) can only be used at a small percentage rate. Your CPA can help you. We donated ours to a small private school and got a charity deduction. No collectible value, information is old the second it is printed. That is why they sell you the updated year book for $50. These books before the internet would get you quite a few years of study out of them. After the internet, zero. Sorry.

I have a set of Encyclopedia Britannica. How do I find out what edition and which year of plublication it is that I have? Also how do I find out the value of them?

I have most of the Britannica encyclopedias and I wanted to know if they are worth keeping or if I should invest in newer ones with more up to date information in them.

I have an almost complete set of the 1875 edition of the Encyclopedia Britannica. How little/much is it worth, in reasonable condition for its age? Many thanks.

I have a complete set of the 1960 Children's Britannica in decent condition. What is the ball park figure in terms of value and the best way to sell if I decide to?
Thanks.

I have two sets of Encyclopedia Britannica. One set is more than 55 years old, and the other is 20 years.

I inherited a set of Britannica Micropaedia (1-12) and Macropaedia (13-29) plus annual volume, Guide Book and indexes of A-K and L-Z. I is a fifteenth edition printed in 1985 in U.S.A. The Library of Congress catalog card number is 83-83118 and the International Standard book number is 0-85229-423-9. Can anyone help me to assess it's market value to date? Thank you.

How can I find the value of a set of leather bound Encyclopedia Britannica from 1903?

I have a complete set of the 14th Edition, 24 volumes, published in 1936 in good/excellent condition. Is this worth anything?

I have about 30 Volumes of the New Werner Edition Encyclopedia Britannica - with Revised American Supplement 1900. It has a light brown leather cover - in very good condition. Any idea of value?
Thanks.

What is a set of 1895 Encyclopedia Britannica worth?

I have recently acquired the Encyclopedia Britannica, supplement to the 3rd Edition, in two volumes from 1803. They are in rough condition, but still bound, complete, and readable. Are they of any value as is or should I have them restored?

By Jeff B

Answers

Your books may have some value , however you must do your own research on their value, condidtion, etc., if you intend to sell them. A very easy online search produces many possibilities-you can try auction houses in your area, old book collectors, EBay, Craigslist, etc.

Load More