Value of 1768 Encyclopedia Britannica

Category Books
This is a guide about value of Encyclopedia Britannica 1768. While the date in the title may lead you to believe that your encyclopedia set is very old, it is important to know that they have been reprinted numerous times over the years. In order to get an accurate value, you must know what the actual copyright date is for your set.

I have a set of Encyclopedia Britannica 1768 that is in its own little bookcase. How much is it worth? On the top of the bookcase is a much larger book that fits into its own notch.

Answers

Best Answer

If you have an actual 1768 set, it may be valuable and you can get a value estimate at an auction house. However, the 1768 set was reprinted in 1971 and was designed to look as the authentic original, stains and all. If you have the 1971 print, it is worthless.

Best Answer

My husband auctions part time. sadly, most books are not worth much, and often get thrown away at the end of auctions due to no one bidding on them, or if they get added into another lot, the purchaser throws them away rather than haul them home.

Best Answer

You may find that the large book in the back is more valuable. It has amazing Mylar like pages showing parts of the human body. As I remember, it was more of a reference book that did not get outdated as the regular volumes. It makes a really interesting coffee table book.

I have a set of Encyclopedia Britannica 1768, I have all but 2 books in the set, which are 18 and 19. Are they worth anything?

By Meredith

Answers

Best Answer

Meredith, the front cover date of 1768 is the date of publishing, which doesn't mean you have a First Edition set. I suggest you open the books and take a look inside, I am sure you will discover that what you actually have here is a later Edition.

Best Answer

I doubt that this is a 1768 set. The "1768" in the seal on the cover shown refers to the first edition, and I think in this case that's all it is--an anniversary reference. I had a facsimile set of the first edition and it was three or four volumes.

Best Answer

Sorry, these are NOT from 1768. That is just the date of the first edition and the seal on the front of all EB from whatever year includes that date.

You have to look inside on the first few pages to see when it was actually published and printed.

What is the value of a 1768 Britannica Atlas? It is in perfect condition with a white/cream hard cover. It is 246 years old.

By Jenny H.

Answers

Best Answer

I am afraid you are confused by the date printed on the front of your Edition. Please look inside your books for more information, I do believe the white/cream covers indicate a possible 15th Edition, which is unfortunately almost worthless however, they do possess wonderful decorative charm for display.

Best Answer

You're correct they were NOT printed in 1768, it's just the title of the series. You have to look inside the books and see the published date.

An Encyclopedia Brittanica 1768 full 24 book set printed in 1947 is worth about $200-$250 if you can find an interested buyer that is.

How do I find the value of a 30 volume, 1768, historical, rarely available complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica?

By Oleg

Answers

Best Answer

Take it to an appraiser. Not an appraiser who wants to buy it. You will get a low price. Take it to one who will appraise it for insurance purposes and you will get a more accurate value. A jewelry store could probably put you in touch with one.

Best Answer

Are you positive this is the 1768 edition (the first year published)? According to multiple web sources about Britannica, the first edition had only 3 volumes (published in Edinburgh, Scotland); you say your edition is 30 volumes.

I just would like to know the value of these. I have the full set in hard cover plus the Childrens' Encylopedia, 1960.

Answers

Best Answer

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias, dictionaries and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

I was wondering how much a 1768 Encyclopedia Britannica is worth?

Answers

Best Answer

If you have an entire actual 1768 set, it may be valuable and you can get a value estimate at an auction house. However, the 1768 set was reprinted in 1971 and was designed to look as the authentic original, stains and all. If you have the 1971 reprint, it is worthless.

I have a complete set, copyright 1961. It is in good condition, includes 24 volumes plus 2 dictionaries. The binding is red in colour. I would like to sell it and need an idea of its value.
Thank you and best regards.

By Claudia

Answers

Best Answer

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

Can someone assist me with the value for the 1768 Britannica encyclopedia? I have a full set of the white cover books.

By Brenda

Answers

Best Answer

I have a set of 24 encyclopedias and a World Atlas (1952 edition, I believe) and was wondering if they have any value?

By Ed

What is the Britannica encyclopedia (full 24 volume set) printed in 1768 worth? It is in excellent to very good condition.

By John D.

I have the full set of 1768 Encyclopedia Britannica copyright 1972. There are 22 volumes, plus the world atlas, dictionaries, and index. It's in pretty good condition and I would like to know the value. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

By Christine from San Bruno, CA

I have an encyclopedia set from Britannica. It comes with 23 books plus the index and I was wondering if you could give me a price in which we could sell them? They are all in fair condition. I've been to my public library to see if they could give me any information about my books, but they couldn't. The book covers are gold, hard backs with blue lettering. If you could give me any information on my product it will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

By Isabel

I have a 1768 Britannica encyclopedia, reprint 1968, set 1-23 + index. What is the value of this encyclopedia?

By Mamu Italia