Value of 1768 Encyclopedia Britannica?

Category Books
This is a page about value of Encyclopedia Britannica 1768. While the date in the title may lead you to believe that your encyclopedia set is very old, it is important to know that they have been reprinted numerous times over the years. In order to get an accurate value, you must know what the actual copyright date is for your set.

I have a set of Encyclopedia Britannica 1768 that is in its own little bookcase. How much is it worth? On the top of the bookcase is a much larger book that fits into its own notch.

Answers

Best Answer

If you have an actual 1768 set, it may be valuable and you can get a value estimate at an auction house. However, the 1768 set was reprinted in 1971 and was designed to look as the authentic original, stains and all. If you have the 1971 print, it is worthless.

Best Answer

My husband auctions part time. sadly, most books are not worth much, and often get thrown away at the end of auctions due to no one bidding on them, or if they get added into another lot, the purchaser throws them away rather than haul them home.

Best Answer

You may find that the large book in the back is more valuable. It has amazing Mylar like pages showing parts of the human body.

As I remember, it was more of a reference book that did not get outdated as the regular volumes. It makes a really interesting coffee table book.

I have a set of Encyclopedia Britannica 1768, I have all but 2 books in the set, which are 18 and 19. Are they worth anything?

By Meredith

Answers

Best Answer

Meredith, the front cover date of 1768 is the date of publishing, which doesn't mean you have a First Edition set. I suggest you open the books and take a look inside, I am sure you will discover that what you actually have here is a later Edition.

Best Answer

I doubt that this is a 1768 set. The "1768" in the seal on the cover shown refers to the first edition, and I think in this case that's all it is--an anniversary reference.

I had a facsimile set of the first edition and it was three or four volumes.

Best Answer

Sorry, these are NOT from 1768. That is just the date of the first edition and the seal on the front of all EB from whatever year includes that date. You have to look inside on the first few pages to see when it was actually published and printed.

I have a set that I'm wondering the value of. William Benton publisher. Copyright 1968.

Answers

Best Answer

Your books look like they are in excellent shape. Unfortunately, they don't have much of a resale value. People are only interested in paying for books that are 100+ years old. The older the book the more valuable it is.

Basically, all you can do is offer these on Craig's list to someone in your area. You might be able to receive around $25 for the set. Most schools or donation centers will not longer take them. They have way too many now and the information in these books is easily available online.

Best Answer

Actually, you have a very decent set and you may be able to sell your set for $100-$300 but the downside is that it may not sell for many months.

• Your set is the 200th anniversary (14th edition) and has more value than most vintage sets.
  • 3 sets have sold over the past few months (eBay) and the selling prices were $150 -$335 but I do not know how the condition or extra books compare with your set.
  • Advertisement

• www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_odkw=Encyclopedia+Britannica...
  • There are sets listed on eBay, Amazon, Abe's Books, and other sites.
  • Asking prices vary widely and number of books also vary on each listing.
  • Examples:
  • www.amazon.com/.../ref=tmm_hrd_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition... (Affiliate Link)
  • www.abebooks.com/.../
  • If you review some of these listings you will know how your set compares and have a better idea of the value of your set.
  • Shipping is expensive and a difficult task and that is why so many sellers list their sets as "pick-up-only" so the person has to be in their area.
  • Craigslist is a good local place to list as any place you list you may have to continue listing for several months to ever see a buyer.
  • Most on line sellers have sets listed for months and even years and sometimes books never sell (especially at a high asking price).

I have a set of the Encyclopaedia Britannica 1768. It is a collection of 24 volumes, 2 dictionaries and a book of the year 1960. They all say copyright 1959. How much are they worth?

Thanks.

I have the complete set of the 1768 Britannica encyclopedaedia. My mother purchased them when I was a girl. I'm 62 now. They are in arguably leather covers and the bookcase still like new.

Answers

Best Answer

If you want to sell the book for the best price possible, you'll need to go to an auction house. They are basically the only ones who can get a fair value for a set of books like yours. Considering they are in good condition except for the 2 I see on the bottom, you should receive a nice price for these. I just a little curious, did your mom purchases these as used books. I think that you might have miss typed the date on these books and instead of 1768 it should be 1968. I would check again. Because if they are from 1968 which they look like, this one could be possible then they aren't much at all.

Your book cover is not the same as the cover of a book back in 1768. However, searching online the colver of your books looks more like a book purchased in 1968.

I'm sorry but you can only get around $25 for these at the most. They are just old and not highly sought after.

How do I find the value of a 30 volume, 1768, historical, rarely available complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica?

By Oleg

Answers

Best Answer

Take it to an appraiser. Not an appraiser who wants to buy it. You will get a low price. Take it to one who will appraise it for insurance purposes and you will get a more accurate value. A jewelry store could probably put you in touch with one.

Best Answer

Are you positive this is the 1768 edition (the first year published)? According to multiple web sources about Britannica, the first edition had only 3 volumes (published in Edinburgh, Scotland); you say your edition is 30 volumes.

I have a set of 1768 Britannica encyclopedias and need to know the value.

I have a 1768 Encyclopedia Britannica set. The copyright is 1971. Here is the first book which is the index. I also have volumes 1 - 23. Is it worth anything?

Answers

Best Answer

Taking a look at your books and seeing the cover and the condition of them, they are not from 1768. Yes, these could have information in them from 1768, but they are actually reproduced in 1971. In all reality this set isn't worth much at all. The books you have were not actually printed in 1768, but were printed in 1971.

I'm a bit surprised because on eBay people are asking $350 to $650 for this set. I'm a bit surprised to say the least. Sorry, but normally books that are reproduced don't bring such a high value as the ones from 1768. If you look up online you can see the difference in the cover and pages of these books back in 1768.

I was wondering how much a 1768 Encyclopedia Britannica is worth?

Answers

Best Answer

If you have an entire actual 1768 set, it may be valuable and you can get a value estimate at an auction house. However, the 1768 set was reprinted in 1971 and was designed to look as the authentic original, stains and all. If you have the 1971 reprint, it is worthless.

I have a full set of these books, all 24. The copyright is 1961. I was wondering if they are worth anything.

Please

I have the 1768 (copyright 1963) volumes 24 White Imperial Home Study guides, a World atlas, 1 volume dictionary, whole set including business and other booklets. There is no bookcase and it is missing part 1 of the dictionary. What is the value? I am trying to sell them.

We found some volumes of the Encyclopedia Britannica, 1768, third edition, printed A. Bell. The only problem is there is not a complete set. How much would these books be worth?

Answers

If it is over 100 years old, it should have value,even if incomplete. Take it to a couple of book dealers and see what they say.

I just would like to know the value of these. I have the full set in hard cover plus the Childrens' Encylopedia, 1960.

Answers

Best Answer

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias, dictionaries and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

I have a complete set, copyright 1961. It is in good condition, includes 24 volumes plus 2 dictionaries. The binding is red in colour. I would like to sell it and need an idea of its value.
Thank you and best regards.

By Claudia

Answers

Best Answer

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

Can someone assist me with the value for the 1768 Britannica encyclopedia? I have a full set of the white cover books.

By Brenda

Answers

Best Answer

I am afraid you are confused by the date printed on the front of your Edition. Please look inside your books for more information, I do believe the white/cream covers indicate a possible 15th Edition, which is unfortunately almost worthless however, they do possess wonderful decorative charm for display.

Load More

Consumer Advice Collectibles BooksNovember 30, 2017
😎
😷
📓
🌻
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Value-of-1768-Encyclopedia-Britannica-4.html