Value of 1768 Encyclopedia Britannica

Category Books
This is a guide about value of Encyclopedia Britannica 1768. While the date in the title may lead you to believe that your encyclopedia set is very old, it is important to know that they have been reprinted numerous times over the years. In order to get an accurate value, you must know what the actual copyright date is for your set.

I have a set of Encyclopedia Britannica 1768 that is in its own little bookcase. How much is it worth? On the top of the bookcase is a much larger book that fits into its own notch.

Answers

Best Answer

If you have an actual 1768 set, it may be valuable and you can get a value estimate at an auction house. However, the 1768 set was reprinted in 1971 and was designed to look as the authentic original, stains and all. If you have the 1971 print, it is worthless.

Best Answer

My husband auctions part time. sadly, most books are not worth much, and often get thrown away at the end of auctions due to no one bidding on them, or if they get added into another lot, the purchaser throws them away rather than haul them home.

Best Answer

You may find that the large book in the back is more valuable. It has amazing Mylar like pages showing parts of the human body.

As I remember, it was more of a reference book that did not get outdated as the regular volumes. It makes a really interesting coffee table book.

I have a set of Encyclopedia Britannica 1768, I have all but 2 books in the set, which are 18 and 19. Are they worth anything?

By Meredith

Answers

Best Answer

Meredith, the front cover date of 1768 is the date of publishing, which doesn't mean you have a First Edition set. I suggest you open the books and take a look inside, I am sure you will discover that what you actually have here is a later Edition.

Best Answer

I doubt that this is a 1768 set. The "1768" in the seal on the cover shown refers to the first edition, and I think in this case that's all it is--an anniversary reference.

I had a facsimile set of the first edition and it was three or four volumes.

Best Answer

Sorry, these are NOT from 1768. That is just the date of the first edition and the seal on the front of all EB from whatever year includes that date. You have to look inside on the first few pages to see when it was actually published and printed.

I have a set that I'm wondering the value of. William Benton publisher. Copyright 1968.

Answers

Best Answer

Your books look like they are in excellent shape. Unfortunately, they don't have much of a resale value. People are only interested in paying for books that are 100+ years old. The older the book the more valuable it is.

Basically, all you can do is offer these on Craig's list to someone in your area. You might be able to receive around $25 for the set. Most schools or donation centers will not longer take them. They have way too many now and the information in these books is easily available online.

Best Answer

Actually, you have a very decent set and you may be able to sell your set for $100-$300 but the downside is that it may not sell for many months.

• Your set is the 200th anniversary (14th edition) and has more value than most vintage sets.
  • 3 sets have sold over the past few months (eBay) and the selling prices were $150 -$335 but I do not know how the condition or extra books compare with your set.
  • www.ebay.com/.../i.html?_odkw=Encyclopedia+Britannica...
  • There are sets listed on eBay, Amazon, Abe's Books, and other sites.
  • Asking prices vary widely and number of books also vary on each listing.
  • Ad

• Examples:
  • www.amazon.com/.../ref=tmm_hrd_used_olp_sr?tag=thrif06...
  • www.abebooks.com/.../
  • If you review some of these listings you will know how your set compares and have a better idea of the value of your set.
  • Shipping is expensive and a difficult task and that is why so many sellers list their sets as "pick-up-only" so the person has to be in their area.
  • Craigslist is a good local place to list as any place you list you may have to continue listing for several months to ever see a buyer.
  • Most on line sellers have sets listed for months and even years and sometimes books never sell (especially at a high asking price).

What is the value of a 1768 Britannica Atlas? It is in perfect condition with a white/cream hard cover. It is 246 years old.

By Jenny H.

Answers

Best Answer

I am afraid you are confused by the date printed on the front of your Edition. Please look inside your books for more information, I do believe the white/cream covers indicate a possible 15th Edition, which is unfortunately almost worthless however, they do possess wonderful decorative charm for display.

Best Answer

You're correct they were NOT printed in 1768, it's just the title of the series. You have to look inside the books and see the published date.

An Encyclopedia Brittanica 1768 full 24 book set printed in 1947 is worth about $200-$250 if you can find an interested buyer that is.

I have the complete set of the 1768 Britannica encyclopedaedia. My mother purchased them when I was a girl. I'm 62 now. They are in arguably leather covers and the bookcase still like new.

Answers

Best Answer

If you want to sell the book for the best price possible, you'll need to go to an auction house. They are basically the only ones who can get a fair value for a set of books like yours. Considering they are in good condition except for the 2 I see on the bottom, you should receive a nice price for these. I just a little curious, did your mom purchases these as used books. I think that you might have miss typed the date on these books and instead of 1768 it should be 1968. I would check again. Because if they are from 1968 which they look like, this one could be possible then they aren't much at all.

Your book cover is not the same as the cover of a book back in 1768. However, searching online the colver of your books looks more like a book purchased in 1968.

I'm sorry but you can only get around $25 for these at the most. They are just old and not highly sought after.

How do I find the value of a 30 volume, 1768, historical, rarely available complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica?

By Oleg

Answers

Best Answer

Take it to an appraiser. Not an appraiser who wants to buy it. You will get a low price. Take it to one who will appraise it for insurance purposes and you will get a more accurate value. A jewelry store could probably put you in touch with one.

Best Answer

Are you positive this is the 1768 edition (the first year published)? According to multiple web sources about Britannica, the first edition had only 3 volumes (published in Edinburgh, Scotland); you say your edition is 30 volumes.

I have a 1768 Encyclopedia Britannica set. The copyright is 1971. Here is the first book which is the index. I also have volumes 1 - 23. Is it worth anything?

Answers

Best Answer

Taking a look at your books and seeing the cover and the condition of them, they are not from 1768. Yes, these could have information in them from 1768, but they are actually reproduced in 1971. In all reality this set isn't worth much at all. The books you have were not actually printed in 1768, but were printed in 1971.

I'm a bit surprised because on eBay people are asking $350 to $650 for this set. I'm a bit surprised to say the least. Sorry, but normally books that are reproduced don't bring such a high value as the ones from 1768. If you look up online you can see the difference in the cover and pages of these books back in 1768.

We found some volumes of the Encyclopedia Britannica, 1768, third edition, printed A. Bell. The only problem is there is not a complete set. How much would these books be worth?

I just would like to know the value of these. I have the full set in hard cover plus the Childrens' Encylopedia, 1960.

Answers

Best Answer

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias, dictionaries and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

I was wondering how much a 1768 Encyclopedia Britannica is worth?

Answers

Best Answer

If you have an entire actual 1768 set, it may be valuable and you can get a value estimate at an auction house. However, the 1768 set was reprinted in 1971 and was designed to look as the authentic original, stains and all. If you have the 1971 reprint, it is worthless.

I have a complete set, copyright 1961. It is in good condition, includes 24 volumes plus 2 dictionaries. The binding is red in colour. I would like to sell it and need an idea of its value.
Thank you and best regards.

By Claudia

Answers

Best Answer

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

Can someone assist me with the value for the 1768 Britannica encyclopedia? I have a full set of the white cover books.

By Brenda

Answers

Best Answer

What is value my 1963 Encyclopedia Britannica 24 volumes with original bookcase? The hard cover of each volume has 1768 written on it.

1963 Encyclopedia Britannica, William Benton ,Publisher Chicago:London:Toronto:Geneva
Dedicated by permission to the Heads of the two English-Speaking Peoples: John Fitzgerald Kennedy (President of the United States of America) and Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second.
The University of Chicago

The Encyclopedia Britannica is published with the editorial advice of the faculty of The University of Chicago and of a committee of members of the faculties of Oxford, Cambridge, and London Universities and of a committee of the University of Toronto.
"Let knowledge grow from more to more and thus be Human Life Enriched"

Answers

Unless a set is 100 years old or more, it wont have significant value

Encyclopaedia Britannica : Complete 24 Volume Set (Includiwww.abebooks.com/?cm_sp=TopNav-_-Details-_-Logong Index)
Various Authors
Published by Encyclopedie Britannica Ltd/William Benton, London, 1963
Condition: VERY GOOD ( AVERAGE) Hardcover
Save for Later
From J J Basset Books (Peter Tavy, United Kingdom)
AbeBooks Seller Since November 9, 2000
Seller Rating
Quantity Available: 1
View all 1 copies of this book
1 UsedfromUS$
505.19Filter by:Hardcover (1) First Edition (1)
Buy Used
Price: US$ 505.19 Convert Currency
Shipping: US$ 8.39 From United Kingdom to U.S.A. Destination, Rates & Speeds
Add to basket verified_user30 Day Return Policy
About this Item
This 24 volume set vary in condition from Very Good (AVERAGE) because of some damp stains to Very Good + (ABOVE

AVERAGE) with the exception of THE INDEX which can only described as Good (BELOW AVERAGE). The pages of the index are all fully readable, as are the excellent MAPS in the ATLAS portion of the index but the spine of this volume has been repaired with masking tape.POSTED AT OUR STANDARD RATES AND FULLY INSURED! (UK ONLY) .Please e-mail for further details NOT "Signed by the Author" Size: 4to - over 9¾" - 12". Bookseller Inventory # 000537
Ask Seller a Question
Bibliographic Details
Title: Encyclopaedia Britannica : Complete 24 ...
Publisher: Encyclopedie Britannica Ltd/William Benton, London
Publication Date: 1963
Binding: Burgundy Cloth
Illustrator: Black & White & Colour Illustrations
Book Condition:VERY GOOD ( AVERAGE)
Dust Jacket Condition: No Jacket
Signed: Not Inscribed or Signed
Edition: 1963 Edition.
Book Type: HARDBACK

Dear Fellow Collector,Thank you for your interest in XXXXXXXXX
After reviewing the information you provided, we have determined thatXXXXXXXXX is not the proper venue to sell your item. There is a set of this with the atlas and in the bookcase being offered for sale on abebooks.com for $794 retail.
Unfortunately, we have a minimum requirement of $5,000 estimated auction value to accept a consignment, and therefore we cant help you sell your books (we are no longer able to accept individual books with auction values of $500 or less as part of larger consignments).
Again, thanks for your interest, and please let me know if I can help further.

I have a set of 24 encyclopedias and a World Atlas (1952 edition, I believe) and was wondering if they have any value?

By Ed

What is the Britannica encyclopedia (full 24 volume set) printed in 1768 worth? It is in excellent to very good condition.

By John D.

I have the full set of 1768 Encyclopedia Britannica copyright 1972. There are 22 volumes, plus the world atlas, dictionaries, and index. It's in pretty good condition and I would like to know the value. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

By Christine from San Bruno, CA

I have an encyclopedia set from Britannica. It comes with 23 books plus the index and I was wondering if you could give me a price in which we could sell them? They are all in fair condition. I've been to my public library to see if they could give me any information about my books, but they couldn't. The book covers are gold, hard backs with blue lettering. If you could give me any information on my product it will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

By Isabel

I have a 1768 Britannica encyclopedia, reprint 1968, set 1-23 + index. What is the value of this encyclopedia?

By Mamu Italia