Finding the Value of Old Webster's Dictionaries

Category Books
Trying to find out the value of old books can be daunting at times. This is a guide about finding the value of old Webster's dictionaries.

Old dictionaries are often not worth much because so many were printed. However, if your dictionary is a rare printing it may have some value to a collector. This is a guide about value of a Webster's encyclopedic dictionary 1891.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Some old rare printings of dictionaries can be valuable. This is a guide about value of a 1904 Webster's international dictionary.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

The value of old reference books, such as dictionaries is sometimes difficult to determine. Much depends on whether there is a consumer demand for your book.

This is a guide about value of a 1896 Webster's dictionary.

What is the value of a Webster's International Dictionary from 1928 (India paper edition)?

Answers

Best Answer

Many people think old Dictionaries have a value. Your dictionary is from 1928. Therefore, it isn't 100+ years old.

• There is a set of 2 Webster's International Dictionary from 1928 listed on eBay. The price they are asking is $25.48, but the shipping cost is $56.35.
  • Shipping any book is rather expensive and normally shipping costs more than the book.
  • When selling your book the most important thing to consider is the condition of the book. The cover, binding, pages determine the value of your book.
  • Is your dictionary bound in reddish leather brown, with gold writing?
  • What condition is this book in?
  • This book comes up for auction quite frequently so it doesn't make it a rare book or one that is sought after often.
  • At auction if this is in good condition it would sell for around $165.00, if it is in excellent condition it sells for around $200.00
  • It is difficult to give you an exact price considering you didn't post a picture of your dictionary and if it is bound in leather or not. This is the closet I can give you for a price.

I have a 1934 Abbot's Selected Webster's Dictionary of the English Language. The cover is messed up, but how much do you think it would be worth?

Answers

Best Answer

As of today the books aren't worth too much at all. Today they consider books 100+ years old have value. As for yours, they are still not old enough to be worth much.

You have two choices. Box them up and keep them around for a few more years or you can try selling them off. You won't get that much for them if you try to sell them now.

I have a book I'm looking for the correct selling price. It is a Salva-Webster's dictionary (gold letters) - English-Spanish and Spanish-English. It was compiled by Dn. J. Gomez, PhD. It included a geographical and biographical encyclopedia and colored maps. It is the new and thoroughly revised edition 1938.

Answers

Best Answer

If you tried to sell this now, you'd not earn much on it. Too bad it is a bit older because all books over 100 years can earn a good price.

This book can still have value and the only way to find out for sure is through an auction house in your area. They would be the best people to contact to appraise this book for you.

I am trying to find value of a dictionary I own. It is a Webster's - An American Dictionary of the English Language, published in 1900. It is a revised edition of the original dictionary first published in 1828.

What is the value of a Webster's Twentieth Century Dictionary published by Publishers Guild, Inc. in New York, NY in 1939?

Answers

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias and reference books but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

1924 Laird &LLee's Webster dictionary

Value of 1955 dictionary

I have a 1904 international webster dictionary in poor condition what's it worth

I have a copy of the Consolidated Webster's encyclopedia reference dictionary. There is no date, but there is a colored picture inside the cover Do not know age or value? The hard cover is worn.

Answers

Best Answer

Normally, all books have a cover page or a page that explains the date, publication and all the other information about the book. It appears yours is missing or you can't find it. The only way to do this is through an auction house in your area. They have all types of experts for auction houses that can determine this better than anyone else. I would go there and ask for their advice on this.

I have a 1947 Webster's Illustrated tower dictionary and atlas with encyclopedic supplements. I have read other questions and I'm sure that it's not valuable, but would it be if there was a misprint? Savannah and Brunswick Georgia are in the wrong location on the atlas. I haven't seen anything on web about that so I was wondering.

Answers

Best Answer

Books dont have value unless they are over 100 year old. Your book isnt that old yet.

What is the value of a 1943 Webster's New School and Office dictionary self-pronouncing?

Answers

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. You can check online for old book collectors, on EBay, Craigs List and other retail sites for possibilities. Everything is now online and updated constantly so old books are just that-old.

the value of a new Webster,s international dictionary 1923 lastest authentic edition, the
Merriam series with reference history

value of 1923 wbsters dictionary, india paper edition

This book is old you. can hardly turn the pages it was published in1945 Noah webster the unabridged dictio ary

i have a 1946 webster dictionary what is it worth

I have a Peabody's Webster's dictionary with no copyright. It looks extremely old. Can anyone tell me how to get a price for it?

Answers

Best Answer

Many people have old books they think are valuable and would like to sell. Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value-a few dollars at most. Encyclopedias dated after 1923 are essentially worthless but crafters may be interested for the old pictures. Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., receive donations of tons of old encyclopedias but send them to recycling centers or dumps as they cannot use or sell them.

I am trying to find out if my 1960 Webster's dictionary has any value. It is 2129 pages long.

What is the value of a 1912 New Websterian Dictionary? It has a black leather cover.

I was wondering about the worth of the New Twentieth Century Dictionary, unabridged. 1943 is the publish date I believe.
Thank you.

I have a copy of the Consolidated Webster's Encyclopedia dictionary published in Chicago, 1951, Franklin J Mean editor-in-chief. What is this book worth?

I own a copy of Webster's Handy Condensed Dictionary Self Pronouncing. This dictionary's copyright date is 1919, and 1931, by Cupples & Leon Company. There are no pages ripped out or missing. I want to know what it's worth.

I have an 1855 Webster's dictionary. The pages are in good condition, but the cover is worn. It is leather bound.

What is the value of a Webster dictionary published in 1906? It is in good condition.

I have a copy of the 1923, Webster New International Dictionary. What is the value? It is an extremely large dictionary with a section in the rear showing pictures and names of misc. items, such as zoology, plants, etc.

By J.M.

Answers

EBay has many 1920-1930 Webster's Dictionaries for sale with prices ranging from $10 to $125. You can try to narrow down an EBay search for better results.

Keep in mind that something being listed on an auction site at a particular price does not mean that is the value. The value is what a very similar copy in the same condition sells for.

I found one example that sold recently for 25 dollars. I don't know which party paid the shipping.

I have a 1940 Webster's Universal Unabridged Dictionary of the American Language. I's in very good shape and I would like to know what it is worth?

Does anyone know the value of a hardback copy of the 1909 Webster's New International Dictionary with reference history, 6th edition printing dated 1927? This thing is amazing!

I have a Webster's collegiate Dictionary, Third edition of the Merriam Series. It is beautifully bound and has 1700 illustrations; G & C. Merriam Co- publishers; thin paper edition deluxe; copyright 1916.

Answers

Most old dictionaries, references etc., have very little value, a few dollars at most. You can search online, EBay, Craig's List, etc., and this site for possible value:

http://www.book  book-values.html

How much is the Webster's Encyclopedic Dictionary of the English Language copyright 1957 H.S. Stuttman Co. worth?

Load More