BooksCollectibles

Value of Old Webster's Dictionary

I have a Websters New Ideal Dictionary, 1927. It is 1006 pages long. It is abridged from Webster's New International Dictionary

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Your dictionary is not worth much. Bring it to a thrift store to sell and get a small write-off. It is better than nothing.

Value as a doorstop?

Most of these types of reference books (dating from 1923) are not very valuable, but of course, there is always the exception.

The condition and type of book (composition/material/paper/edition number for that year/etc) is what will usually determine the value and market value. Sadly, most of these wind up in the trash.
It seems that lots of people have old books/maps/etc they may think are valuable and would like to sell.
As a general rule, most old encyclopedias and dictionaries have very little market value. Seems such a shame to see wonderful references going to the waste bin.
Most of these are essentially worthless but crafters sometimes are interested in using the pictures. Recycling centers or trash bins usually receive the large number of these old books/sets that are donated to Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc., as they are just not in demand and do not sell very often.
You can check online for what is currently for sale and also what people are actually paying. What you cannot usually find out is how long (time) the sellers have been trying to sell their item (some sellers keep an item up for months/years before they sell).

You will have to do most of your own research as you are the one with the book in hand and can narrow down the search. Check on ETSY, eBay, Craigslist and other retail sites for information. Even just asking the question on Google will get you lots of information. Everything is now online and updated constantly as trying to get info on old books is a popular item.

One of the main things to remember is - old does not always mean valuable.

I also have one of these, as did my mother. It got my kids through papers for school homework assignments. My son once told me that one of his instructors had commented on the wealth and detail of information in a paper he had to write for one of high school classes, and his teacher asked him where he got it from. He told the teacher "Oh, my mom has this big old dictionary..." My kids are grown now, but my dictionary is still a timeless resource. Its worth? PRICELESS and it always will be, as education, no matter where comes from, has such great value. (I learned to read off the backs of cereal boxes and comic books.)

Mark Twain said, "I never let my schooling interfere with my education." Love that; there are so many sources of learning all about if we use them.

Another option is to look for libraries that have lost all their books in fires, etc. I think there is a list on the internet. Google such searches as "libraries that have lost all their books in disasters." "libraries in need of books," etc.
Hope this is helpful. Please cherish your dictionary for the joy it contains -- maybe give it t a grandchild if you have one - -or maybe hold it for when someone you care for gets their first apartment or home of their own. I think they will cherish it.

Anonymous

if there is no value as a book, there might be value for crafters.... many people use individual sheets as multimedia items.