Value of 1958 World Book Encyclopedia

I have a nice set of 1958 World Book encyclopedias with the updates for years to follow. Are they valuable or should I try to take them to Goodwill?

Hi,

I have seen these for sell ranging from $75.00 to $250.00. It is wonderful that you have such a vintage set of encyclopedias!
I remember looking through some in elementary school and thinking they were so wonderful!

Blessings,

Robyn

Most encyclopedias dont have value unless they are complete and over 100 years old. The best route for you financially is to donate them and take the tax deduction

To get an idea of how much encyclopedias are going for you could check on eBay.

1. https://www.ebay.com
  2. Search > 1958 World Book Encyclopedia
  3. Left hand side under show only > check SOLD
  4. You will be able to see how much these are going for.

If you wish to hold onto these longer, they would potentially be more value. If you need the space, you could sell or donate (and get tax write off for donating).

This gentleman, who I do not know, but hope to contact soon for some of my own items, charges to do appraisals. If you really want to spend money, you could contact him.

booksappraised.com/

I don't see any on eBay which is one the best ways to value your own pieces. You could check back often and find an exact match that SOLD and that would give you today's market value.

Sadly, most encyclopedias have no value and most Goodwill stores (at least in Pittsburgh) will not take them.

It used to be the Center for Creative Reuse (a place that takes things for artists to use for crafts) would take them, but I am told even they stopped taking them because of a glut.

If you are crafty, you could turn them into neat crafts that will sell. Like this lamp is one of my favorite ideas (I wish I made it):

www.pinterest.com/.../