AntiquesCollectibles

Value of a 1927 White Rotary Electric Sewing Machine

Can someone point me in the best direction on how to research the accurate and fair value of this old sewing machine for my mom. As seen in the photos it is in a cabinet.

I'm willing to do the work, I really just don't know where to start. I do live in an area that has some little antiquey types of small towns close by (Cameron, NC, Pittsboro, NC). I would appreciate any advice/help anyone can send my way! I have more pictures also, if needed.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

There are several style cabinets for this machine and this along with outward appearances will be the determining points for the value of this machine. Working order is also a factor but repairs can be made to the machine that cannot be made to the cabinet.

These machines are popular so you will always find several for sale on eBay (the most popular auction site).
The problem with items like this is the cost or inability of shipping which means that most listings (anywhere) will be for "pick up only" which means only people in your immediate area would be looking to buy your machine.
That limits your selling area so most of the time you would be just as well off with posting an ad on your local Craigslist or any other local auction site.
Craigslist is very good because anyone interested in your machine can see the actual product. Of course, there are always safety precautions to take when selling locally.
You can always start at a high price ($300 - $500) and lower the price if you are not getting any "takers".
Craigslist is very easy to use just be sure to put lots of information and lots of photos - especially of the cabinet.

You can keep checking listings on eBay but you will always find a wide difference from one seller to another as they are just trying to get whatever value they feel is true to their machine. If you go to the sold listings you will rarely find a machine that sold for that much money. It is generally a good idea to list locally as you control everything and can choose to sell or not.
Here is a link to recently sold machines (just White machines) on eBay so you can see the price differs from what sellers are asking for their machines.
https://www.eba  d=p2045573.m1684

Here are some links to machines currently listed for sale on eBay (9/9/2017).

http://www.ebay  d=p2047675.l2557

http://www.ebay  75.c100011.m1850

http://www.ebay  75.c100011.m1850

Dear Cybergrannie, Thank you so much for such an excellent answer!!! You are the Best!! I'm screenshotting everything right now to show my Mom so I can keep her in the loop, your answer gives us some great discussion points!!! I have already been wondering about that shipping issue!!!  I'll be back, (in my Arnold S. voice) Thanks again!!! 

Anonymous

You are very welcome. I hope you and your mom have enjoyed having this nice machine as they are like us grannies

Not too many of us around anymore.

Ebay has an ad for a similar machine for $399 Canadian dollars, which is equivalent to about $332.17 US dollars. This machine comes in a case, not a table, so yours is worth a bit more.

Thank you! 

It is worth about 300 dollars.If you want to be sure study E-Bay for 2 months on the actual sales, and not just the listed price.

Thank you!

I'm seeing them for sale for $250-$300 on eBay

Thank you!

Thank you!