Washing Small Items in the Dishwasher

Category Dishes
Dishwasher
Small items in the dishwasher inevitably seem to end up on the bottom of the washer. This is a guide about washing small items in the dishwasher.

Use a small bag to hold small items such as lids and baby bottle lids and nipples. The items will be clean, and they won't be thrown around the dishwasher. I especially like this hint because I can use an item I already have, and don't have to purchase those plastic holders that they sell for this purpose.

Source: E-mail from Kitchen Aid

How many of you have placed plastic bowls in the dishwasher only to find they have turned upright and are full of water? I line all of my plastic bowls up on the same side of the top rack of my dishwasher.

I then take a small bungee cord and hook it at the back and front of the rack over my bowls. This keeps them locked down in the dishwasher. If one bungee cord doesn't reach, I use 2 and after stretching them across the top of the bowls, I go under the rack and attach it so it will be tight across them.

By Angela from Lula, GA

Use rubber bands to help hold down lightweight items in the dishwasher.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

A lingerie bag is a great help in an automatic dishwasher for washing small, unbreakable items. Fill the bag, zip it closed and lay it in the top rack. Clothes pin it to the prongs if needed, if you feel it may bounce around. Items will stay in the bag, but the holes in it will let the items come real clean. This works great for plastic silverware, plastic figurines, and most anything that won't break.

By Laura from Elberta, AL

In the top section of our dishwasher we were having trouble with the plastic bowls turning right side up and filling with dish water. We found a worn out nylon rope hammock, cut down and bound the edges with machine or hand stitch. Then placed "S" hooks to hold the sides and placed it on top of the dishes in the top rack with the hooks on the side of the upper rack. It lets the water come through and prevents the plastic bowls from tipping right side up!

Judy