Washing Wool Clothing

Category Wool
It is important to find the best way to wash your woolen clothes to maintain their size and shape. This is a guide about washing wool clothing.

I have a wool 60%, rayon, nylon blend coat. It was in my closet for a couple of months and got pretty dusty. I am allergic to dust so if I try to wear it I am overcome by allergies. Are there any suggestions, other than giving it a good shaking which I have tried, that would get the dust out of my coat? I want to see if there is anything I can do before I take it to the dry cleaner. Thanks.

By Dhg87 from San Antonio, TX

Answers

Tumble it in the dryer on the fluff or air setting for several minutes. That should get the dust off.

If it has been hanging for a very long time perhaps a dryer sheet when you fluff it in the dryer will help to freshen it up a bit

I agree with the others, put in dryer on air or hang it outside for a day, good luck.

Why don't you use the vacuum cleaner on the coat first? That way you get most of the dust out and then you can put it in the tumble dryer with a dryer sheet on the coldest setting for about 15 min. Alternatively, you can vacuum the coat first and follow up with a treatment of Dryel. That is far cheaper and handier than taking it to the dry cleaner.

Hope it helps. Roxanne

You can tumble it in the dryer on air fluff with no heat. But you know you will not kill the dust mites living in your coat until you take it to the dry cleaner. None of the aforementioned suggestions kills dust mites. I don't think even hanging it in the sun would do that.

Place it in a dryer with a damp towel. That'll get rid of the dust. If it's the dust mites that are bothering you, as Carol in PA suggests, use one of those steam mops -- if you have one. They are made to use not only on floors, but on carpet, pillows, mattresses, drapes, clothing, furniture, etc.

The grocery stores have kits for use in the dryer, possibly you could try one of those.

PS., you can also buy a plastic sheet that fits over the whole row of clothing in the closet and protects it from dust. I have one like this and am amazed at the amount of dust it collects.

I did a quick internet search and found one at Miles Kimball. http://www.mile  01322&num=96

I agree that vacuuming first then putting in dryer on fluff or air would be good, but before you do, spray all over with Febreeze Allergen Reducer fabric spray. That includes under any loose lining, down the inside of the sleeves etc. Perhaps a garment bag that repels dust is in order for this coat especially if it is stored every spring.

I would like to try to clean 2 pairs of wool pants without taking them to the drycleaners or using the dry cleaning stuff you put in the dryer. I don't feel like these methods really freshen the clothing - they still smell dirty to me. Is it safe to wash them in the washing machine and hang them up to dry? I was thinking about using woolite. The fabric content on one pair says 99% wool and 1% other and the other pair says 60% rayon, 37% wool and 3% mohair. I'm not as nervous about washing the pair that is 60% rayon but I thought I'd better seek advice first. So, any advice would be appreciated!

Allison from TN

Answers

woolite will work,give it a try.
Remember to use cool water.

If you're going to try it, I would hand wash them & allow them to dry flat or hang over a shower rod & re-position them frequently. Good Luck. Maybe try just one before you chance ruining them all?

EVERYTHING wool I've ever washed in water, even in Woolite has RUINED! I STRONGLY recommend home dry cleaning, and only 4 lbs of fabric per load/packet. It's CHEAP and wonderfully cleans. If yours still smells dirty, do it TWICE. It may be because it has accumulated a LOT of body
odors/oils that need removing. Once clean, don't wait so long to clean it for any reason, remembering that every two wearings for the average person produces LOTS of oils/odors. The cheapest dry cleaning companies often have moth eggs that are then transferred to your woolens. I encourage you to rethink your conclusion , to PLEASE BITE THE BULLET and DO IT YOURSELF!! Then, don't buy anymore woolens! God bless you as you try to preserve what you have in the best/most frugal way.

If it's got wool, I wouldn't throw it in the washer. I'm betting that it would be ruined for sure.

I have taken an emblem off the pocket of a man's wool blazer. There was a small amount of glue under the emblem. How can I remove the glue?

By Marietta H. from Lexington, KY

Answers

Use a med hot iron, put brown paper on top, between the iron & blazer so the iron will not harm the cloth, good luck.

Thank you so much. This worked and all the glue is gone. Blazer is just like new.

How do you remove cat urine from 100% Wool, dry clean only slacks?

AptGuy from Oregon

Answers

VINEGAR .. straight vinegar before you do anything else.
Soap, detergent, etc will only set the smell.

pour vinegar on it let set for a minute or two then gently rinse
with cool water. Then take them to the cleaners.

You might even skip the cold rinse and just take them to the cleaner with the vinegar in. Vinegar won't stain and the cleaners would get the rest out.

How do I get gum out of my good wool coat?

Nat from Copiague, New York

Answers

I am not sure, but try placing an ice cube to freeze the gum and patiently removed with tweezers. You may have to do this a number of times. Carla