Cleaning Wool Pants

I would like to try to clean 2 pairs of wool pants without taking them to the drycleaners or using the dry cleaning stuff you put in the dryer. I don't feel like these methods really freshen the clothing - they still smell dirty to me. Is it safe to wash them in the washing machine and hang them up to dry? I was thinking about using woolite. The fabric content on one pair says 99% wool and 1% other and the other pair says 60% rayon, 37% wool and 3% mohair. I'm not as nervous about washing the pair that is 60% rayon but I thought I'd better seek advice first. So, any advice would be appreciated!

Allison from TN

woolite will work,give it a try.
Remember to use cool water.

If you're going to try it, I would hand wash them & allow them to dry flat or hang over a shower rod & re-position them frequently. Good Luck. Maybe try just one before you chance ruining them all?

EVERYTHING wool I've ever washed in water, even in Woolite has RUINED! I STRONGLY recommend home dry cleaning, and only 4 lbs of fabric per load/packet. It's CHEAP and wonderfully cleans. If yours still smells dirty, do it TWICE. It may be because it has accumulated a LOT of body

odors/oils that need removing. Once clean, don't wait so long to clean it for any reason, remembering that every two wearings for the average person produces LOTS of oils/odors. The cheapest dry cleaning companies often have moth eggs that are then transferred to your woolens. I encourage you to rethink your conclusion , to PLEASE BITE THE BULLET and DO IT YOURSELF!! Then, don't buy anymore woolens! God bless you as you try to preserve what you have in the best/most frugal way.

If it's got wool, I wouldn't throw it in the washer. I'm betting that it would be ruined for sure.