Cutting Pampas Grass

The edge of pampas grass leaves can very easily give you a nasty cut on your hand and fingers when trying to prune this decorative plant. This is a guide about wear gardening gloves when cutting pampas grass.

Some time back I wrote an article on the importance of wearing gloves while working in areas that might be infested with black widow spiders. One might do well to consider gloves when working in other areas, too.

I have a nice, long row of Pampas grass planted in front of a nice, long row of Arborvitae. They're both quite young. Pampas can be beautiful if it's kept clean. That means cutting back all the dead foliage each year. Today, I decided to give my Pampas their first flat top.

The Pampas sliced my finger. Never would I have thought Pampas grass blades could inflict such a painful wound. Did it smart? Well, I did a dance, and it wasn't so the neighbors would throw quarters at me. Mercy!

Any more barbering done to the Pampas means gloves. No exceptions!

Top Comment

Ouch! I'm glad to know that because I will not ever plant that type of grass.

I have black widows in the spring, and the are everywhere outside in the backyard. If I have to move stuff around, I would wear gloves for them too. I wish you a quick recovery for your finger which is injured!!!
---Robyn

Oh yes. If you look at each blade of pampas grass you will see that on both sides are saw tooth edges which will definitely rip your fingers open. I have some big Agaves too that not only have sharp needle points on the end but also have them up and down the edges of the blades. They have some kind of poison or something on them that stings and burns and is hard to heal. I always wear big thick gloves when I deal with them. Your finger really looks bad, I hope it is healed up by now. Also John son grass has saw tooth edges on them too.

Robyn, Cheryl,

The cut was really painful, but it is healing nicely. Thank you both.

Wow! That sure does look painful but I'm glad it is getting healed. I had some of this grass years ago and even wearing gloves I would get "wounded" so I have decided to grow other things instead - maybe some bamboo soon?

Take care and thanks for reminding us that even knowledgeable gardeners can still learn when to make changes.