DogsPets

What Breed is My Puppy?

I have a new puppy and I'm not sure what she is. The people I got her from said German Shepard and Pit Bull, but I'm not sure.

By Amanda M.

Your darling pup looks more like a Shepherd-Boxer mix, I'm glad to say:) Going to be a stunningly handsome adult dog!

Check with a vet but my 40+ years as an AKC Boxer breeder (whilst living in the USA) tells me that is a Shepherd-Boxer head, Boxer chest and colouring, and the paws say Shepherd. The head especially rules out Pit Bull because it's more a Boxer shape (with a hint of Shepherd in the longer snout) - not flat across the top with close set eyes like a pit, but rather the typical Boxer 'top-knot' point. And super-smart, so be sure to take yours to a good training-obedience class:) (Inexpensive classes are usually available through local Parks and Recreation programmes)

You've got the makings of an amazing companion there!

Be sure to read up on both breeds because a mix like this will demonstrate both breeds specific behaviours - for example the Shepherd+Boxer in your puppy will double the protective instincts that luckily are coupled with extreme intelligence to understand a situation quickly - very unlikely your pup will grow to be overly aggressive but will be a great 'watchdog' able to suss quickly if danger to loved ones does or does not exist.

Too, expect your pup to be a little shorter and stouter than a Shepherd owing to the Boxer genes and that your puppy will mature much slower than the average Shepherd - most Boxers are not fully mature until around 3yo.

Can't stress enough that this mix will result in a super-intelligent dog who will try to run circles around you, so good training and consistent handling is important.