What Breed Is My Puppy?

Category Dog Breeds
Puppies take a bit of growing before it they look like their parent's breed. Here are questions and answers about all sorts of different puppies and what they might be combined with.

My puppy is 5 1/2 months old. I rescued her from a shelter 2 months ago. I have no history on her. The vet at the shelter thought she was a mix of German Shepherd and Belgian Malinois. Her ears are huge but so cool. She is the smartest dog I have ever seen!
Any thoughts? Thanx.

By mama T*

Answers

Best Answer

The vet may be on the right track. Another idea is part Pharaoh hound. www.dogdict.org/pharaoh-hound-18.html

I would really like to know the breed of my new puppy. He looks full German Shepherd, but I'm still skeptical about it.

By Tyler

I am wondering if my puppy is a Shepherd/Golden Retriever mix. I was told she was a Golden/Lab, but this little girl is 9 weeks old and weighs almost 15-20 pounds already. She is huge and her color is different.

By diana from Puyallup, WA

Answers

I think you've called it with Shepherd/Retriever. Her face surely looks Shepherd. Either way...she is cute!

I'm not sure what she is other than beautiful! You are so blessed. Thanks for sharing.

I think you're right on it with the GSD/ Golden Retriever. We had a rescue boy a while back ( crossed the Rainbow Bridge a few years ago) who looked a lot like her. The giveaway being the fuzzies on those cute little ears for the Retriever part of her; also the form of her snout, and the markings and body build are definitely Shepherd.

She's going to be a big one. I'll bet around 75 pounds full-grown. If her temperament is anything like our old Max was. She'll be smart and a sweetheart. Hugs to that pup!

I would say that you have a Shepard mix and so what if she is mixed she is adorable. I bet that she will top the scales at 75 plus pounds at full grown age. It is good you are getting her this young AS she will be very protective of you and your home. Please have her spade and stop innocent animals lives being put to sleep each day. I worked for the SPCA years ago and I imagine 20 to 30 animals were put down each day because of having no owner to go home with or to. Beautiful animals that no one wanted, it was very, very sad to witness.

Good luck to you and your new baby!

She's the Adorable breed.

I got my puppy on Tuesday. He was advertised as a Staffordshire Bull terrier, but his face is very slender and his legs are long. Could someone please help me and tell me if they think he looks a bit Pit Bull?

By Rosanna from London, UK

We found a stray puppy roaming the streets. No collar, not a runner, so we think she was "left" to find a new home. She's the sweetest thing ever and loves people. I have a German Shepherd already and young children, so I'm not sure if we can keep her. On top of that, it looks like she could be part Pit Bull. I don't want to offend anyone, but I don't think this is the appropriate family for a Pit Bull. Could she be a mix maybe?

By Heidi

Can you tell what breed my puppy is? I can't tell because if she is Chihuahua. Why is her head not a perfect apple shape? Her ears are totally up.

By LanCe from Manila, Philippines

My family (3 kids - 8, 6, and 4) just adopted this puppy from a rescue that stated her mother was a Border Collie and her father was a Lab. Many, many people have asked if she is a Pit Bull. We are new dog owners and were hoping for an easy to train, gentle dog that would love, but not hurt our kids. We know that Pit Bulls can be sweet and easy going and lovable so long as you are great trainers, but we are dog owning newbies, so we are worried that we are not the right family for a dog that needs really, really good trainers.

I also can't stand the critical and harsh comments so many people make about Pits, it feels stressful already! So far it seems there is some growling and play biting going on, but otherwise she is a very sweet dog. Thoughts?

By Debbi

Answers

Best Answer

I agree with the previous answer - your gorgeous pup looks like a Lab-Border Collie. That head tilt, those stunning blue eyes, the quintessential BC 'snout blaze' plus the chocolatey Lab coat colour are dead give-aways.

Ask your vet to be sure, a DNA test will tell you absolutely but is pricey - last I heard in the US a canine DNA test can run $300USD.

I raised Boxers in the US 40+years before relocating to the UK. The uninformed (read silly hysterical types looking for an excuse to moan) frequently insisted my Boxers were 'pit bulls' - no matter what your dog looks like there will always be some uninformed person trying to be a know-it-all. Don't let people upset you but rather go with your vet's advise.

For everyone's sake, if the dog makes you nervous please rehome it with a family able to take on a Border Collie-Lab mix - the growling you're hearing now whilst at play is part of the BC trait behaviour. As the dog grows expect herding behaviours too, should you choose to keep the dog. After consulting your vet to be sure of the breed mix, get some books or go online to those breeds sites to learn what to expect from your puppy as it matures - including how long the breeds take to full maturity. Boxers and many of the large breed dogs (erm, like Labs:) aren't fully mature until around three years old!

If you love the dog and are fair, patient, and conscientious, there is no need to be the next Barbara Woodhouse (Walkies! Lol:), your local recreation and leisure centre more than likely offers low cost puppy training classes.

You can also learn from breed-specific library books, YouTube videos, and first and foremost - a good canine vet.

We recently took in a puppy, that was on her way to the pound. I know she is mostly Black Lab, but was just curious what everyone thought she was mixed with.
She is 3 months old and we've named her Lilly.

By Jenny Lynn from WA

My boyfriend got this puppy two days ago from an ad that said Golden Retriever and Australian Shepherd cross. The "breeder" showed up with the pup in one hand, anxious to get the money and leave.

The poor animal was in really bad condition. Her white fur was yellow and she smelled as if she was sitting in her pee and poo for days. We cleaned her and made her feel at home and comfortable. She's very energetic and has a great personality, but the more we look at her the less Golden Retriever she looks. She has a curly tail which is strange because Golden's tails aren't curly and neither are Australian Shepherds'. We would love your opinions!

By Cassandra G.

We just purchased a new puppy and I was wondering if you could tell me what breed you think she is? They told us she was a Heeler/Golden Retriever cross? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Her tail curls up over her back. She has a really fuzzy coat that is black, but shows red when in the sun. She is currently 10 weeks old and weighs a little over 10 pounds.

I was just given a puppy out of the blue. It was some random guy with three dogs and since the puppy didn't let me go, he said I can have it. :)

Any who, I forgot to ask him if he knew what type of breed her mom and dad where.

So, I was hoping someone can help me figure out what type of breed she is by the pictures. She is 2 months, and is very playful.

By Connie from Los Angeles

I just adopted this puppy from a rescue a couple weeks ago. She was found living at a dump in a native reserve at 6 weeks old. Within the past week she's changed a lot and aggression has been showing a lot. I just want make sure my 4 year old will be OK and safe. He had been attacked by our previous dog at age 2. Knowing what kind of breed she is might help us on how to train her. We can tell there is obviously German Shepherd, but we are thinking maybe Boxer as well, since she is brindle colour and has those "sad" eyes and long legs.

My family just got a puppy! The animal control where we got him had little info on him. They said he was a mid to late April puppy, a coonhound/lab mix, I was hoping you all could give me your thoughts on what you thought he looks like. The vet already said he looks more like a march pup, making him 12 weeks. I was more wondering about what mix he is, any thoughts? This is Chuck under his favorite chair on our porch!

Shaya from Stevensville, MI

Answers

My dog looks very similar, other than she has blue eyes (pt husky), but they told us she was part Rotweiler, which I doubt. I think she's part shepherd.

By Paula (Guest Post)

I don't know what your puppy is, but he is adorable! Oh my gosh! He is so cute with that little puppy face laying next to those big paws!

By Kathy (Guest Post)

A co-worker has a dog that looks just like your puppy, even has the little brown above eyes. Anyway, her dog was from a local family and he is part rottweiler, shepard and husky.

Looks like a lab shepard mix with a bit of hound in it. It's a beautiful dog and should be a loving one and also protective. Love those pretty eyes of his

By (Guest Post)

Our Winnie dog looks just like your puppy. He is Kelpie crossed with a dobi - but mainly keplie. They are so cute. Winnie loves his tennis ball and being part of the family. He follows us everywhere. He is loves running and being active. He is a real people dog - he likes sitting but the front door and watching the world go by.

His 2 flaws are that he has to meet everyone that comes into the house - otherwise he won't stop barking and he digs when he gets bored. We have several places in the garden for him to dig. I could talk about him forever. He is a wonderful dog. - Good luck with yours

By the color on him, I would say that he is part German Shepard or Rottweiler. I've had mixed breeds of both, and they tend to be short, chubby puppies, with big paws, and stout bodies. He sure is a cutie!!!

H absolutly looks like black and tan coonhound (check the breed on the net, that's the name of the breed). I have one and he's a wonderful dog. Just remember that that breed is bred to hunt, so he may want to do it on his own when he grows up. But mine is an excellent family dog, very gentle and good.

By SunshineRose (Guest Post)

There is a dog DNA test that can tell what breeds your dog is. Relatives did it to find out what breed their rescue dog was.

I just adopted a rescue puppy. They said he is a Lab mix. I see Pit in him, but some say no. I am just wondering if he looks like anyone's puppy. He is 16 weeks, and weighs 18.5 pounds and is about 15 inches at his shoulder.

I got my puppy as a mongrel but a lot of folks have said he looks like a pit bull. Not that it makes much difference as I adore him. I would just like to know if he's a pit or not. Thanks.

By sam mcgowan from Scotland

I have a great puppy that I adopted from the shelter. There they told me that he was a Pit mix. However, I think he's a Great Dane/ Shepherd mix. His vet says he's a Lab/Pit mix. I would love to have his DNA tested, but I don't which company is the most accurate. Do you?

My pup is 3 months old and 25 lbs! His paws are huge so I know he'll be at least 65 lbs. What breed do you see in him? He loves to play, sleep, and chew stuff, but only when I leave. He's smart and learned to sit in one day and go down in two days.

Thanks.

By 143dime from Alhambra, CA

What breed do you think my new puppy is?

By Omar from San Francisco, CA

What kind of mixture is my puppy? I can definitely see the Chihuahua side, but multiple people have told me she does not look full bred.

I want to know if my puppy is a Belgian Malinois? I was told he was a Pomeranian Chihuahua mix, but he definitely doesn't look like it to me. Can you help me?

Load More

Pets Dogs Dog BreedsMarch 25, 2020
👒
🐰
🌻
🐛
😷