What Is This Houseplant? Moses in the Cradle
As a house plant this plant requires very little water and bright sunlight, and is also known as Moses in a basket. This is a guide about what is this houseplant? Moses in the Cradle
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
I got this at the store with no tag on it. It was too pretty to leave behind and I'm wondering what it is and how I should care for it.
Any suggestions are welcome!
September 12, 20170 found this helpful
Looks like a Moses in the Cradle. It requires very little care or maintenance and will thrive if planted in a suitably bright, sheltered location. However, it does benefit from regular feeding during the summer to encourage abundant foliage growth and a healthy, productive root system.
September 13, 20170 found this helpful
You are right about these being pretty plants. It is known by several names but mainly oyster plant, Moses in the cradle/Moses-in-a-basket.
- These can be grown outside in zones 9 - 11 but make great attention getting houseplants.
- The biggest problem with growing these as houseplants seems to be over watering. Just be sure your plant is in a pot with excellent drainage and does not sit in a saucer.
- These plants like high humidity. Place your plant on a tray of wet pebbles but be sure the plant is sitting on the pebbles and not in the water.
- Moses in the Cradle houseplants need very bright light for at least 6-8 hours a day (not direct sun).
- Always allow the top inch or two of soil to dry out before watering.
Here are a couple of links that will give you complete care instructions as they do sometimes have disease problems but ones that are easily corrected.
Answer this Question...
September 18, 20170 found this helpful
I could also be, and I think it is, a cordyline, possibly cordyline fruticosa.