What is This Plant? (Dracaena Fragrans)

Dracaena Fragrans is a flowering plant species that grows natively in tropical regions of Africa and is a common houseplant elsewhere. This page is about identifying and caring for a Dracaena Fragrans.

I received this plant 4 months ago, and the tips of the leaves are turning brown. I thought it was over watered so I stopped watering it and it still is losing the ends of the leaves. I am not sure what kind of plant this is, it has a cane type base. Thanks for everyones help.

Laverne from Omak, WA

Answers

This is a corn plant.I have several of them and the biggest one is over 6 feet tall! They can get real big. I don't know what I'm going to do if it continues to grow!

They are pretty hardy but they do loose leaves once in awhile. Make sure it gets some sunlight but not direct. Good luck with it.

By Souix, Greenbrier, Arkansas (Guest Post)

I think this is called a (Cane Corn Plant or Dracaena Fragans) here is a link to see the picture & a link to see the care of this Plant... My daughter has one.. When.the leaf tips go brown it's from underwatering it .. hope this helps www.ellisonsgreenhouses.com/.../Corn_plant_cane_3PP.jpg
forums2.gardenweb.com/.../msg0817225916922.html""""

I am not positive of the name but I had one that was the size of a small tree years ago and think it's official name is Dracena.

They originated in the tropics, so providing an area of high humidity or misting might help keep the tips on the leaves.

It does look like a corn plant. I'm not sure how to care for it, though I did have one once and it was not in direct light. I put it on the porch in the summer and it got wind-burned. We moved shortly after and left it.

They do have the most wonderfully delicious-smelling flowers though.

By (Guest Post)

It looks like a Yucca. Check in out on the web.

By LuLU, Chicago, IL (Guest Post)

It is a corn plant. Rule of thumb with any plant is, yellow leaves, too much water or not enough light, brown edges, not enough water. Indirect light would be best for your corn plant, or a north window.

By Roland (Guest Post)

This is a tropical plant. I've seen it grow in El Salvador, Central America. They call it IZOTE, and the flower is the National Flower. It is pompous in size and glows in the sun with pure white color. People eat it mixed with scrambled eggs or kept in vinegar as it will make a good tasty appetizer. It has a light bitter taste.

By Monica (Guest Post)

Dracaena Massangeana Cane. Doesn't take much water - a little at a time - keep it pretty dry.

It does like light, not necessarily direct light. Every six months or so, give it Miracle Grow, diluted in water.

By Ashley (Guest Post)

It is a Corn Plant, in the draceana family. Make sure it gets enough light - near a window and don't overwater it. If your water has chlorine, flouride or other additives, it could cause the tips to turn brown. Overwatering will usually cause whole leaves to turn yellow.

I am plant sitting for my boss and want to identify this plant so I can take great care of him. I've named him Robert. Robert Plant. Please help me figure out what kind of plant he is? Thank you!

Answers

Best Answer

I tend to agree that it is a corn plant. Although the Christmas ornament is somewhat blocking the view of the stalk of the plant. Hope Robert feels better quickly.

Here's another plant I was hoping to get identified.

Thanks,
Sharon from Missouri

Answers

I believe it is a dracaena

I did a search on google and found a lot of links, then I went to the image portion and I think I see a plant like yours.

Hope this helps.
Tina

By rosa (Guest Post)

DRACINA , related to corn plant

I have the same plant but mine is all green but it is a Dracaena Marginata.

By Katherine (Guest Post)

This plant is a dracaena, also known as ribbon plant.
If there is any leaf loss in the upper portion of the plant the top can be removed and rooted to form a new plant.

By Linne Dodds (Guest Post)

It's also called an Amazon Sword plant when you buy it for a Fish tank. It grows under water quite nicely .& then if you want you can take it out of the water & grow it in a planter , It grows quite nicely in either place .

Thank you for reminding me of it .

I need to know the name of this plant. How much water does it need?

By Trimzh

Home and Garden Gardening Plant Info What Is This PlantNovember 14, 2015
🐛
🌻
📓
😷
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/What-is-This-Plant-Dracaena-Fragrans.html