AdviceEntertainment

What to Do on a School Holiday

I love going to school; the only problem is, that it's a holiday for the school. I have to wait until the year is over. I'm bored and I need something to do. Please help me.

By charlie

First, make a list of things you like to do or would like to learn to do, as: swim, learn a new stroke, ride a bike and time yourself over a distance and then try to improve your time, learn to do cartwheels, walk on your hands, etc. Of course, your mother would love it if you REALLY cleaned your room, empty the closets and drawers and reorganize, but don't do this in one day. One day, do the closet and next day, do the drawers. Learn to bake cookies. And, of course, read, if only 20 minutes a day. Refer to your list of things you would like to do and add more things as you delete some. Wash the neighbor's car, mow, sweep walks, walk dogs. The limit is your imagination. Have fun.

Charlie, you don't say how old you are. Most kids think they have to play all summer and be entertained. While that's pleasant enough, have you considered starting your own business? Junior Achievement is one source of information. Your parents may have good ideas. I have read of kids as young as five or six creating a product and selling it, or donating it to a worthy cause. I had my first baby sitting job in second grade (my parents were next door in case there was an emergency). Warren Buffett, the world's second richest man, began investing at age 11 and said he wished he had begun sooner. May I suggest an internet search for kids earning money? Best of luck with squelching your boredom!

If it your friends that you miss, see if there are events like day camps, vacation bible schools, summer lessons like swimming, playground programs that would give you something to do every day and someplace to go, and kids to hang out with. Most of those things in towns and cities are very low cost. If money is not a problem, there are all kinds of day camps for skills that you can go to -- some are the kind where you go and stay for a week or more, out the country. Look into these sorts of things. And READ.