What to Use for Bunny Litter

Category Cages
Bunnies
A variety of absorbent materials can be used for the bottom of your rabbit cage. This is a guide about what to use for bunny litter.

Our daughter is 10 and raises rabbits. We used to use kitty litter in their cages, but when our warren got to 16 rabbits, I was easily spending $30 a month on stuff for the rabbits to eliminate on. Another breeder introduced me to using birch shavings in the under-trays instead. It smells nice and instead of claying up our compost bin, we now have something that breaks down easily. We even use it raw in our flower garden, and our flowers have never looked better!

By Kellie

Can I use Scoop Away cat litter as bunny litter? I have a Netherland dwarf bunny. brattykitty

cat litter works great. rabbits are quick learners

I use scoopaway for my 3 year old English Lop house bunny. No problems, whatsoever.

He also likes to share mini wheats with me for breakfast. Good fiber for both of us.

Jackie

WHY would you want to do that? Use the droppings in your garden. You will be amazed at the results!!!! This is great for veggies and flowers. My neighbor also uses our droppings, and both our gardens produce very large flowers and veggies.

If you have a compost, you can add them to that as well. If you have a rabbit, you have the best natural fertilizer around.

Laura in NH

And, to add to DDSS2000"s post....rabbit droppings can be put straight into your garden.... Not like chicken, sheep or cattle manure which has to sit for years before "mellow" enough to put on your garden. (We use to raise rabbits....wonderful experience for the kids!!) I can imagine that your Netherland Dwarf bunny must be soooo cute!! What treats do you feed it? We would give ours a little, little piece of banana as a special treat. He just loved it!! Don't give them too much, cause they will eat the whole banana if they could.

Please don't use clay cat litter for your rabbit. It can harm your bunny. Many use the litter successfully but it is still risky. Also don't use pine shavings.

Here is an excerpt from the house rabbit society about these litters. (http://tinyurl.com/3udol)

* clumping litters will clump inside the rabbit's digestive and respiratory tracts (the latter if they manage to make enough dust to breathe) causing serious problems and often leading to death

* pine and cedar shavings emit gases that cause liver damage when breathed by the bunny

Further down on the web page above it talks about good litters for rabbits. Ones made from newspaper like Yesterday's News or CareFresh are good. I use compressed sawdust pellets made for fireplaces. It is absorbent, controls oder, doesn't get on everything and it is cheap.

Again, please don't use cat litter for rabbits. It can be toxic.

coolchinchilla

I had a litter trained rabbit and it really is nicer than changing the papers in a cage. The main thing when choosing litter is to get a natural clay litter with low dust and little or no perfume. The rabbits do munch on it so keep it as natural as possible. The natural clay litter is really cheap at the feed stores, as is the rabbit food. If you clean the litter box daily it really keeps the odor away, and the rabbit is more likely to be consistent with using it.

I use Yesterday's News and that is the best stuff in the world! It dumps right out..never clumps and is very safe for bunnies..recommended by my vet. It is biodegradable newspaper bits.

Yesterday's News or Care Fresh for litter, never clumping, clay, or aromatic wood shavings. Why risk it if it's proven to be harmful. Ask your vet. :)

Or how about the economic route and use Hay and shredded newspaper! You already have that on hand bc bunnies need hay in their diets everyday and there is always newspapers about in everyone's home. I use hay and newspaper for my two house bunnies.

Bunny owners educate yourselve! http://www.rabbit.org is everything you need to know about proper care for rabbits.

Hi I just got new bunnies(2) they are both babies(I don't know how old) and are very very smart. I think one is a lop eared fuzzy lot and another probably is a dwarf.Anyways My question is can baby bunnies learn how to be trained and what to use. Many websites I have been to have said that newspaper shreddings are good so I willl start with them. And also my bunnies have stayed with me for (1 has stayed for 2 weeks and another has probably stayed for 1 week or less.

I found a stray bunny that came into my garage begining of this year. and since I never raised a bunny before, when I found out that bunny can be litter trained I was faced with the same question.

the cost of the comercial litter can be much higher than the cost of the rabbit pellets which can be bought from a feed store for less than $10 for a 50 pound sack.(no tax for animal feed) I take out a amount for 2 months and freeze the rest to keep it fresh and to prevent the vitamins from leaching out.

for a litter I use a paper shredder to shred newspapers.

(newsprint's ink is made from soybean and nontoxic). you can buy a shredder at Wal-Mart for around $10.(get the non-crosscuting shredder, it's cheaper and better for making a litter)

and lastly don't forget to feed your bunny unlimited amouint of hay which also can be bought from a feed store for as cheap as around $5 for a 75 pound bale(prices depends on where you are living and type of hay, where I live coastal burmuda hay is the cheapest timothy hay runs around 3 times as much-still very cheap)

this is so much cheaper than where I first went to get my supplies-a petstore

what makes a good littler box? i'm new to this and am confused right now because my bunny currently is using her food bowl for a lot of waste, even though she has a grated cage so her waste just falls away from her. she does most of her bathroom-visits away from her food but likes to "perch" on it and pee into the food. very bad for everyone involved! any ideas on how to make this a previous problem?

Hmm...There is some interesting information on this website.

to Ashley

maybe your problem is that your bunny wants to have a proper litter box. grated bottom is for your convenience not your bunny's, they are actually harsh on their feet. place a small basic cat litter box or similar plastic one on the corner where your bunny have been using as a urinal (where the food bowl is now) line it with a newspaper and fill it about 2 inches with a shredded newspaper and place some soiled foods and droppings. Since bunnies like to eat while they poop, place a hay box right in front of the litter box or you can even place some hay inside the litter box on the front end. This should take care of your problem. Just be patient since if your bunny is young, it might take a little bit longer.

to Ashley Hoeprich

maybe your problem is that your bunny wants to have a proper litter box. grated bottom is for your convenience not your bunniy's, they are actually harsh on their feet. place a small basic cat litter box or similar plastic one on the corner where your bunny have been using as a urinal(where the food bowl is now) line it with a newspaper and fill it about 2 inches with a shredded newspaper and place some soiled foods and droppings. since bunnies like to eat while they poop place a hay box right in front of the litter box or you can even place some hay inside the litter box on the front end. this should take care of your problem. just be patient since if your bunny is young it might take a little bit longer.

i think you should use a box for your rabbit or keep one near it.

NO CAT LITTER NO NO NO NO CAT LITTER

clay cat litter and clumping cat litters are bad bad bad

i use carefresh (i would use the white carefresh for sensitive buns) and it works great and makes wonderful compost

if you still have any questions, please read the first line a couple more times

Can I use cat litter for a rabbit?

By Nancy from Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island

I am looking for suggestions for what kind of litter we should for our rabbits. We were thinking organic litter. What kind should we get for a kitty box? How do we train them to use it? Please help!

By Mika from Melbourne