When to Harvest Zucchini

Category Vegetables
This is a guide about when to harvest zucchini. Knowing when to harvest your zucchini will ensure that you get the flavor and texture that you prefer. One benefit of more frequent harvesting is that you can increase your overall yield for the season.

I am probably being stingy about wanting as much zucchini as possible from one that I pick and I let it get large, but not yellowed or wrinkled.
Is there a better way to judge when to pick one? I have included an image of one in 13"x9"x2" pan.

Answers

Best Answer

Picking zucchini.

• The smaller ones about 6 inches are tastier.
  • The more you pick the bigger crop you will get.
  • They should be ready 45 to 55 days after planting.

Sounds like you're harvesting zucchini properly! You can harvest any time at Farmer's Markets they have all sizes! It depends on your preference. :)

Reference: www.thespruce.com/how-to-harvest-zucchini-2540052

The early, small squash (about 6 inches) are the most tender and flavorful, and picking frequently can lead to a larger crop.

I always pick mine before they start to bulge out too much, because I prefer the tenderness of the early ones. I always miss some though so I have a combination of sizes. I find the bigger ones have a more bitter taste so I usually use them in baking.

If you like the larger ones, no reason not to let them grow as long as you like.