Wildlife: Butterfly (Moth)

We were lucky to get a picture of this butterfly on the windowsill. I don't know what kind. If any one knows, would you let me know?

By James from Fitzroy Harbour, Ontario, CA How beautiful. I have a site I go to that might be helpful in the ID of this graceful creature.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=imageandfr=hp-pvnbandva=butterfly+identificationandsz=all (09/21/2009)

By Robyn Fed

RE: Wildlife: Butterfly

I believe it is a moth. We had a large one here sometime in early August in Michigan. I think it's this one, or if not, it's similar.

http://www.cirrusimage.com/polyphemus_moth.htm (09/21/2009)

By Kathryn Visser

RE: Wildlife: Butterfly

I also think that this is a moth. It really is pretty and I am glad that you got such a great photo of "him". (09/21/2009)

By Suzanne Bergholz

RE: Wildlife: Butterfly

It is a Lunar Moth. Very beautiful! (09/21/2009)

By Kathy Klahn

RE: Wildlife: Butterfly

The Cecropia Moth is North America's largest moth. It is a member of the family of giant silkworm moths. We had a cocoon one winter and waited for the moth to emerge in the spring It was beautiful! You can read more about them at this website:

http://www.wormspit.com/cecropia.htm. (09/22/2009)

By emmamamie

RE: Wildlife: Butterfly

Do butterfly bushes really attract butterflies and are they annuals? (09/22/2009)

By carole

RE: Wildlife: Butterfly

This is a Polyhemous moth. They get very large and are very beautiful, congratulations on getting a picture. I myself like to call moths butterflies of the night because many of them are just as colorful and beautiful as butterflies. (09/22/2009)

By Anna Shobe

RE: Wildlife: Butterfly

Lovely photo of the Lunar Moth. At least that is what I think it is. For the question about butterfly bushes. Yes, they really do attract butterflies. I have had one for two years now and they are a perennial bush. The bush likes a sunny location and I trimmed the spent blossoms on mine throughout the summer and it seems to keep producing new blossoms. Even now towards the end of September! (09/22/2009)

By Barb

RE: Wildlife: Butterfly

I googled it and it seems to be a Cecropia Moth. The Luna moth is a pretty green. I have not seen one of those in years. Nor have I seen this one. Lucky "you" to see this one (09/22/2009)

By Kathy