Windex to Polish Jewelry

I work at a silver and native American jewelry store. We use Windex (I've never tried an off brand of glass cleaner), and an old soft toothbrush to get into hard to reach areas.

Using the hot water/salt method mentioned in today's article (or powered tide with no bleach which is what I recommend), so long as you also let the jewelry air dry. Oxygen and humidity is what causes the tarnish in the first place!

Aluminum foil method is very good for heavily oxidized pieces without delicate or loose stones. If the piece still needs some love use the toothbrush with the tide to "detail". If it just needs to be brightened or has pearl or other delicate stones, Windex is the ticket! If the piece is still not shiny enough for you, finish with a polishing cloth. Lastly, keep your sterling silver in zip lock bags when not being worn or used (air = tarnish).

Source: Mom and Pop jewelry store I work at!

By Teri Matheny from Dallas

Just refill your jewelry cleaner with straight ammonia.