Winter Care for Your Chickens

With the snow as deep as it is now and with more to come, heading over and breaking frozen water bowls in the chicken coop in the morning is a cold proposition!

Since chickens sleep all night and do not eat or drink in the dark, I have come up with an idea that allows me a second cup of coffee without guilt. They always have pellets available to eat. I read that 100 grams of Iceberg lettuce is 95.5 grams of water. Now, when I hear the morning weather will be extra cold or nasty, I roll in a head or two when I lock up the coop after dark. They can hit the lettuce in the morning when they wake up, getting the water they need and finding entertainment as well poking it around. We both get what we need until I get the courage to trudge on out there!

By Susan from Long Island, NY

More Solutions

Our chickens absolutely love any special little treat we give them. So, on very cold days I'll cook up some oatmeal, enough for our flock of 16.

But of course you don't want to add any sugar or butter : )

Pets Birds ChickensMarch 3, 2016
🐛
😷
🌻
📓
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Winter-Care-for-Your-Chickens.html