Winterizing a Window Air Conditioner

Category Weatherizing
Window Air Conditioner
Rather than removing your air conditioner from the window for the winter you may choose to leave it in place and winterize it. This is a guide about winterizing a window air conditioner.

I intend to keep my 10,000 btu window a/c in the window all winter. I bought a Frost King silver cover, but I want to insulate the sides. What type of insulation can I use that will be water proof? I don't want the winter sleet/snow or rains to destroy the insulation.

By betes51

When I had window units in my NW GA home, I winterised by using homemade covers that completely wrapped around the outside part of the units.

I sew and used vinyl tablecloth fabric to create pockets for that insulated foam board; I attached the cover to each unit by sliding the cover onto the unit then screwing in weatherproofed lathe strips all the way around. After the screws were in I went around the lathe strips with waterproof silicone caulking.

Worked a treat! No draughts, and no drips, kept the rooms those units were in a lot warmer from then on!

In the spring I just peeled off the caulk, loosened the strip and removed the insulated covers - stored those with the storm windows until the next autumn. After removing the covers I went back over the strips with the caulk gun to keep out the rain during the warm season.

Wish I had a picture or two to upload but any home sewer will understand what I'm talking about above and would be able to make the cover for you - all you'd have to do is cut the foam board and slide the pieces into the pockets, etc.

Hope this helps. I think you can buy those wrap-around insulated covers now at most DIY centres but the homemade covers worked great for me.