Canning artichokes is a great way to preserve them for later use. Artichokes will go bad quickly once they are ready to eat so canning them when they are ripe will maintain their freshness longer. This is a guide about canning artichokes
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
August 15, 20120 found this helpful
Artichokes are a strange looking vegetable that kind of looks like a pine cone. It is green and the petals come up around the center. I would start with baby artichokes rather than the hearts for my first venture in canning in oil. The artichoke should be firm and green. Check the leaves around the bottom of the artichoke and remove any tough ones.
- Wash the artichokes well and cut them the size you enjoy. We like the bite-size canned ones. If you do decide to do the hearts, you will probably quarter the hearts.
- If you don't have Ball or Kerr jars in your kitchen, you need to purchase them. You will also need jar lids and bands for the canning. Artichokes canned in the Italian way need virgin olive oil. You may have spices that you particularly like or you may want to experiment with others that you have handy. Garlic is not recommended because it can grow botulism spores.
- Some spices you may want to use or make a mixture to add to the jars. Pepper corns, oregano, cloves, parsley, and coriander to name a few.
- Once you have cleaned the artichokes and cut them, remove any fuzz you see. Next you want to blanch them for a few minutes in water-and-vinegar. Drain them well by patting them dry with a couple of soft towels on top and towels beneath them.
- Pack them in the jars. Cover them with olive oil. We prefer very virgin olive oil but pick your favorite. Add any spices that you like.
- Tap the jar on the counter gently to remove air bubbles. You can also slide the spatula down the jar side to be sure you get all the air out. Seal it tightly and store it in a cool, dark place. Don't open any jars for a few weeks to give the spices a chance to flavor the artichokes.
Have an Italian supper.