Cleaning the Oven

To clean your oven, spray with oven cleaner at night (I use Easy Off lemon scent). The next day, use a wet sponge to wipe off the oven. Use gloves and a bucket of water, as you'll have to keep washing the sponge. It makes oven cleaning much easier.

By Thriftygirl from Boston, MA

I just cleaned my oven that had burned spill. I soaked a wash rag with Lysol antibacterial Kitchen Cleaner; spray the spill and cover with rag wait about 1/2 hour and wipe off.

When cleaning the oven, we have found that of all the cleaners that can be used for the job, Windex (or any generic window cleaner) is what gets it the cleanest, and it doesn't harm the stove or oven at all! You just spray it in the oven, let it set for maybe an hour, doesn't even have to be that long, and then when you come back, you can just wipe it clean. Anything that stays on, just spray those spots again, and let it sit for another hour while doing other things.

It takes all the scrubbing out of cleaning the oven.

Also works great for cleaning the hood above the stove, and for cleaning the shower! :)

Source: Mom

By Hallie from Black Hawk, SD

Answers:

Cleaning the Oven

It's the ammonia, so you could make your own spray quite cheaply with ammonia and water. (01/23/2011)

By Sherry Johnson

How do I get an oven clean? I have already used Easy Off on both hot and cold oven. It still isn't clean. This was a brand new oven 3 months ago! I can't imagine how the tenant did this! Any other ideas?

By Linda from Orange, CT

Answers:

Cleaning the Oven

The oven is most likely as 'clean' as it's going to get by now and, sadly, the stains are set in and simply are not removable.

I feel for you because I've been a landlord in your position before but short of suing the former tenant for a new stove (which is a really tough case to win for stains) the stains will just forever be there now. :-( (12/01/2010)

By Deeli

What cleaning solutions are best for removing baked on grease, etc. on an oven?

By sheila from Waverly, MN

Answers:

Cleaning the Oven

I make a thick paste of kosher salt, baking soda, and add a tiny bit of lemon/water/whatever; and apply it thickly. It cleans fabulously. Once cleaned, put foil in the bottom to make it easier to clean next time! Do let it sit a while. It will clean it right up. (10/23/2010)

By katrina

What is the easiest way to clean a baked on oven? I have an electric stove, apartment size, and I have a hard time getting down on my knees. I need an easy solution please?

By Roxanne from Oelwein, IA

Answers:

Cleaning The Oven

You can use a foam mop with long handle to reach in the oven without getting on your knees. Good luck. (09/16/2009)

By kathleen williams

Cleaning the Oven

For the future, so you don't even have to clean the oven, just make sure you bake everything with a lid on it and/or foil or a baking sheet under it ;-) For now you probably should just ask a family member, friend, or neighbor to help. (09/18/2009)

By Deeli

Cleaning the Oven

Also remember, that certain oven doors open about 6" then slide up and off the hinge bracket, so you or someone can get in a lot closer. Using lemon scented oven cleaner also helps, as well as putting it in there the day before you plan to clean.
Good luck! (09/18/2009)

By Sandi/Poor But Proud

Cleaning the Oven

I am lucky to have a portable steamer from Shark and I steamed my oven cavity, hinges and all. I moved into a house that has a 30-year old double oven on the wall (this oven is a workhorse), but it really cleaned it up well. After I wiped up the stuff that settled on the bottom of the oven, I steamed the bottom of the oven to clean that part. I had to clean the floor below from the grease and gunk from the hinges, but that was easy. I have a bird in the house and try to avoid using chemicals whenever possible. This steamer has been a blessing. (09/20/2009)

By Barbara Smith

I have a self cleaning oven but don't use it as frequently as I should. My oven has baked on food and the glass in the door is so dirty!

Does anyone have any suggestions on the easiest way to clean this?

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

Home and Garden Cleaning AppliancesMarch 23, 2011
🍀
💘