Cheap Entertainment (aka Thrifty Fun!)

Tips for having a good time without spending a lot of money. Post your ideas.

Check out the local library. They often have many family oriented videos, CDs, and DVDs. You can check these out, (usually for longer than a rental!) and they are free. You can pop your own popcorn and just have family night movies!

Deb

Set a dollar limit on what you are willing/able to spend on entertainment. The number of high quality concerts, plays, demonstrations, and community events is completely amazing. Check newspapers, get on mailing lists, and above all, volunteer for non-profit organizations--you'll have an active social life for free (or cheap!)

By Margaret Sasse

The library has books, magazines, cd's, videos etc that are great entertainment. I also trade books with friends. Just grabbing a book and going to a local park is fun. The kids can play while you read and keep an eye on them.

Another great fun idea is a pack of cards or old board games like Monopoly or Trivia Pursuit are lots of fun too and you can sometimes find them in thrift shops,

An ex-neighbor of mine, once a week would load up her kids & go to McDonald's for a cheap meal & play time. She'd take along a book & watch the kids. She said it was one of the most inexpensive things that she & the kids could do, while her hubby was at work.

My cheap entertainment is playing the piano for hours. The time just flies and I keep my fingers very limber (I have osteoarthritis) and keep up with my music.

There is an outdoor Fraze Pavillion in town where there are outdoor concerts all summer long. Many, many people sit in chairs or blankets on the lawn all around it and enjoy hearing the "free" concert . Many bring coolers. I saw heard Duran Duran live and it was awesome!