Removing Bathtub Appliques

How do you remove those non-skid bathtub appliques without damaging the tub surface. We've tried all sorts of cleaners, Goo-Gone and turpentine and they still hang on. We moved into a place where the prior tenant installed them and they are very worn and very ugly. Help!

By Murph

Anonymous

I use razor blades. Single edge razor blades. Please do it carefully though and do it on a slant.
- Bonnie

I have been told to soak a cloth with hot vinegar and allow it to work in. Don't know if it works or not, but worth a try.

Anonymous

Try nail polish remover-the kind WITH acetone.
- Kimdedo

wd-40 will remove sticky stuff and remove with very little work

Just go to a beauty supply store, and buy some pure acetone. Actually, you can probably buy it at some hardware stores. It removes EVERYTHING.

WAIT....what kind of tub is it? I originally thought that I had read that it was porcelain...but as I re-read the original post, it doesn't say what type of tub it is. If it's not porcelain DON'T use the pure acetone on it! Acetone will also dissolve acrylic. I'm not sure about the fiberglass...but, I wouldn't chance it.
Other solution...heat gun...used VERY carefully

Try scraping them off with a the tool you would use to remove paint from windows. If that doesn't work, try using a heat gun first. Once the rubber part is off, clean the sticky stuff that's left off with a solvent. Then clean the tub with Soft Scrub.

Go to any Home Depot or Lowes store, in the paint dept. look for solvents and choose M.E.K.
It remove adhesives and much more, use very little on a cloth.

Try to avoid those nasty chemicals which you shouldn't be breathing/handling, including WD40. My appliqués come off easily, as the glue is drying out. A hair dryer may dry out the glue and make removal easy and nontoxic.

If the tub is porcelain, do as above and use a razor blade and then Softscrub or Comet or some other cleanser to remove the black marks that will ensue. It's possible that a sponge with a scrubbing pad and some baking soda would do it.

There is also something called Goop that removes any kind of sticker and is really nice to have for other adhesive removals. Not sure about any of this if your tub is vinyl. I'd look for the goop stuff and see what it says.

Best, Karen

This answer is like 16 years late, but the razor blade and acetone worked like charms!

I tried vinegar, no good. I tried straight Acetone, no good. Then I used the wife's hair dryer on high air and hot temp and they pealed right off. Cleaned the old stickum off with acetone and I was ready for the new stickers. 12 sticker off in about 15-20 minute.