Using Leftover Soap Pieces

When bars of hand soap are almost finished, getting the small remnants to stick together properly (so that they can be completely used up) can be a pain, and they certainly do not look quite right for use in the guest bathroom. If you simply stick soap bits together randomly, the ugly mass tends to hold dirty soap in the crevasses, and they tend to fall apart, anyway.

The suggested method is probably easiest with bath soap, where one uses a facecloth or sponge (or the net equivalent), although it works with smaller bars, just as well. By rubbing the sponge consistently on one side of the soap bar only, that side wears down quicker than the other, becoming concave, making it easier to ensure that the thin, remaining sliver of soap (from the almost used-up bar) fits snugly against either convex surface of a new bar.

Pressing them firmly together when both are wet results in what becomes a single, homogeneous convenient-to-use bar. If the two bars are the same color, they soon become indistinguishable as being joined components and the soap is used to the utmost benefit. What is more, your guest bathroom will not be disgraced.

And there is absolutely no waste, whatsoever.

I make my own lye soap for bath and laundry. I use left over bar soap. I stay in a lot of hotels and the soap from there I use also. I take a 5 gallon bucket that has my lye soap in it, I continually add the soap bars to it and fill it up with water. When the bars "melt" I run them through a strainer and use as laundry soap. I haven't bought laundry soap in over a year!

I love liquid hand soap, but I didn't like paying so much for it - as much as $7 a bottle. I started collecting soap slivers and adding them to a liquid soap container with water to make my own.

I went through my house and rounded up every novelty soap, hotel soap, etc., and put them all in a quart jar and added water. When a soap container needs refilling, using a funnel, I pour about a quarter to a half full of the "goo," add a shot of liquid hand soap (refill purchased at the dollar store), and fill with water. Then I add more water to the jar.

As the soap melts, it makes a nice creamy hand soap. The refill soap breaks it up somehow. I keep these containers in all the bathrooms, the laundry room, and the kitchen. You can also add old after shave or cologne to make it smell nice.

Could you tell how much left over pieces of soap to about how much water do you use to make your new soap! Fondly Jackie Flynn

How do you become a Thrifty Funuser

I do this, and I sort of eyeball it--it's probably 25% soap and 85% water, and then 15% blue Dawn. Every time I add soap to the containers I'll fill them less than half full, add hot water, and then a squirt of Dawn. Then I add more hot water to the mason jar.

I have a dog that needed to be washed under his tail from eating soft shell pecans. It was awful. So I brain stormed, I had some antibacterial soap I had to wash with before surgery and never knew what to do with it. Well, I got all my old soaps along with the soap from the hospital and put it in my small food chopper and chopped them all up and it came out real pretty from all the colors, and I store it in a pretty (see thru) glass container on the bathroom counter.

When I needed to sponge the dog I just put in a tsp. of the milled soap, in some warm water in a small bucket and cleaned him right up. I know it is also antibacterial too from the hospital soap mixed in.

Exactly the method I use. Works great and no soap is ever wasted.

What I do with my leftover bar soap or you don't have money to buy any laundry detergent use your leftover pieces of bar soap you can cut slices or you can just put a small medium piece and put it in a sock tie it and throw it in your laundry and it will make your clothes soft in your towels even softer you don't need fabric softener in the dryer the cheap Palmolive bar soap I believe can get for $4 or three $4 is the best

Make Your Own SoapNovember 15, 2010
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-08 10:15:05 in 872 msecs. ⛅️️