FleasPets

Switching to Advantage

I was wondering if any one knew if it was ok to use these products at the same time on a 4 year old cat? I have already put the collar on him, which seemed to make him itch more, and so I want to try advantage but wanted to know if I should remove the collar or if I need to wait a certain amount of time after removal of the collar to apply the advantage? Also, do you think I would need to treat the house after the cat has been treated or will they go away on there own once the cat has treatment?

Melissa from Fillmore NY

I don't know about using the two products back to back - I'd ask a vet first if it were me.

You will, however, need to treat your home. Just after treating my kitties, I used a home flea spray (available at pet supply or big box retailers) on the carpets and upholstery. After it dried I added a layer of Borax to the carpets and vacuumed. (Be sure to dump the vacuum immediately after vacuuming then take the trash outside.) Any bedding the kitties slept on was washed in warm water.

Doing these things gets rid of larvae and eggs that might be present and that will re-infest your kitties. I also found that it's best to do everything in one day. We have 4 happy, flea- free kitties as proof!

Please don't use them together. Could be very harmful to the kitty. Also, personally, I would not use any house spray and/or pesticide. Those are toxic to the animals and the humans. Once you begin the advantage treatment your problem will be solved. The fleas die off without a host. We used Advantage for our dogs and they (as well as the house) were flea-free within 24 hours.
I am personally allergic to fleas so it was important to me to get rid of them!

Barbara has given you good advice - don't use two products back to back. Consult your Vet for the safest method. I have used Advantage with great success. However, DO NOT use Borax. It's a poison (see the skull & crossbones on the box) and can be very harmful to your pet. There are better solutions at your pet store. Sometimes spreading orange or lemon peels can work effectively.

I have read not to double up on flea treatment. Use only one treatment at a time. Read the directions and stick to the amounts for the animals weight and length of time the dosage lasts. Whenever in doubt, always ask a professional. Often for questions like this, your local vet can give you a good answer and usually advice that is over the phone and free of charge, in some cases.

Treating your house: If the infestation is really bad, plan to leave the house for a day and put the cat outside if possible or leave with a friend, or take the kitty with you and find a good raid that is made for fleas in particular. Once everyone is out, spray your house and leave. Return in 5-8 hours should be sufficient. Again, when in doubt, ask a professional. I am sure a pest patrol company could give you great advice about this. It's a phone call away. Hope this helps. Good Luck.