New Furniture Smells Like Mildew

I have lived now for a year and a half in our new custom built home. Everything is new, but for the last few months I have been smelling a mildew smell in the bedroom. We have pin pointed it to the Cherry wood of the dresser and headboard of the bed. The furniture store laughed me off since we have had it for over a year now. Any suggestions on why the wood would start to smell or could this become a health issue? I am not sure where to go with this. Thanks.

By Dawn Bading from Hanover, PA

Anonymous

Not everything is necessarily a stores fault. Could have happened at the time the trees were felled, during manufacturing, moving, storage or even your own bedroom might be closed up too tight/not enough ventilation. Here's a link that should be helpful to remove the odor/mold:
http://www.ehow  e-mold-wood.html

Have you heard about the Chinese drywall in Florida? Could be the furniture was made with something not too healthy. Have it checked out.

I've got the very same thing going on right now. I purchased a new dining room table at a clearance furniture outlet in April. Now 6 months later, I've been smelling mildew in my dining room and have finally tracked it to the table (the last thing I thought to check!). I can't return it because the sale was final.

The table is not finished on the underside so I'm going to try flipping the table and spraying the underside with lysol or some anti fungal agent. I've never heard of anything like this happening before. If anyone has any suggestions that wouldn't involve refinishing the table or taking it outside as I live in a condo, I'd love to hear them.