Removing Odors From New Furniture?

Category Odors
New furniture often is delivered to your home complete with its own array of odors, coming from the chemicals used in the manufacture of the furniture and upholstery materials. This is a page about removing odors from new furniture.

I purchased a 5 piece of new all cherry wood Amish bedroom set. It came with a very strong odor which is so strong I feel like I could pass out from the smell. What is the cause of this?

I called the store for help about this. They are kind of giving me run around. Also when I run my hand over any piece of it, it feels sticky and not smooth.
Could the makers of these pieces not have done a proper sanding, staining, and varnishing? I am not a carpenter, but something had to be done wrong when making this. I thought I was purchasing good quality furniture and by no means was it cheap.

I would appreciate any insight that you can give me. Thank you very much in advance for your time in giving me some kind of answer.

Answers

Best Answer

It seems that the word "Amish" usually means (to most people) the product will be top of the line and are willing to pay for that named item.

• The truth is that problems can arise with "Amish" items the same as they do with other companies.
  • If you purchased this furniture new then you should insist that it be picked up and do not accept a "replacement" set until you check it out in the store.
  • No furniture should feel sticky as that means the finish has problems and may always feel this way.
  • Some furniture may have a slight odor problem but it should not last more than a few days at the most but most high quality furniture will not have that odor to begin with.
  • If the company gives you a hassle about picking up this set then I would contact the company that you financed it through or if "cash" was used then contact your bank and make serious complaints so they can help you through this process.
  • Advertisement

• Be sure to stress how strong the odor is and that you cannot breath around it and therefore cannot use it. Also mention the sticky feel of the finish.
  • If somehow, this does not work then I would suggest you seek help from a local TV station as they do have people who help with problems like this.
  • You may have to really go the whole route with this company or this set may have a permanent home in your garage.

The unit is 6 months old from Harvey Norman. I think it is melamine. It has a terrible chemical type smell. I have washed it and put perfumed things in drawers, but nothing helps.

By Carol H. from Sydney

Answers

Just a thought, but are you sure it is the vanity and not a smell coming out of the walls or the water pipes? If you think it might be the pipes, talk with a plumber. If you have something dead inside the walls that could be it, also.

I would talk with the people you bought it from and maybe they can suggest something to kill that smell of the melamine without harming it. What about a box of Baking Soda? I figured if it keeps the smells out of the fridge why not your cabinet, can't hurt to give that idea a try course it might take a few days but see what happens. Good Luck!

Try talking with the place you bought it from they might have an idea or maybe you can try some Baking Soda, I figure if it works in the fridge why not your cabinet, put a box underneath and on top of the cabinet and see what happens after about a week, can't hurt to try it.

If the vanity is melamine . It is the melamine it has an extremely stron chemical odor that last for months and more!

I am currently looking for something to stop it. Someone online recommended Odor Sponge but don't know if this works

Just been delivered a wood sideboard from Harvey and have been overwelmed with the diesel/petrol fumes..making the whole flat smell and causing headaches and nausea..they are coming out tmorrow to check..let's see what they say.

I purchase a dining table and 6 chairs Amish OAK, the smell is offensive. I covered then up with plastic to avoid the poisonous smell. The smell stick in your mattress, your bedding, your clothings hard to get rid of it. Winter in Michigan, having my windows open to breath. wondering if I can put them on the curve.

I bought a kid's bedroom 10 days ago, when they installed it, and before cleaning it, I started smelling a very bad smell. It didn't smell like lacquer or chemical toxic smell. We contacted the company and they said no one else complained. Is there any solution to remove the smell? I can't put the kids inside I am afraid of toxic damage. Thank you.

By Zeina Daher from Lebanon

Answers

I don't know if your situation is the same as mine, but back in February we purchased a new couch and recliner. I got the worst headache and sinus problems after that. I think I was probably having a reaction to the furniture (sometimes I get headaches and sneeze when shopping for clothes -- probably the dyes and sizing on them). It lasted for a good 2-3 weeks. Eventually I got better.

If you can, leave some windows open to help air your the new furniture. I don't remember ours having a "bad" smell. Just new furniture smell. Best of luck!

Many new products exude the lacquers & chemicals & glues, etc. used in their manufacture. I would try to air out the furniture as much as possible - even leaving it out in a garage or similar area, until the gases are totally gone (with the smell). That's one advantage of old wooden furniture - no chemicals!

I would insist they take it back. Doesn't matter if no one else complained - you are! It could be toxic, especially if made in China! As the other posts indicated they had reactions to some type of toxic element. I would not take chances and insist on them taking it back!

Oh, that's the glue that they are using and also the materials that they are making the furniture with. Make sure you stand strong on this and make them take it back. All this composite material that they make some of the furniture with are toxic.

Did you hear about the people who are in those FEMA trailers in Louisiana and how they are all getting sick from the fumes from the walls that were made in China? Don't expose your kids like you already said you won't their lives are way too important.

The aired out the furniture does not work. This are chemicals who come out with the slightest of heat in the house. Has nothing to do with pipes, or anything from the house. My Amish furniture offensive smell was circulating in the heater ducts. We were thinking was from the sewer. all were checked and all were clean, finely we figured out the smell was coming from the dining table. Washed it several times, aired it out and in few days, here we go again. That offensive smell my lungs cannot take. I will strip them off on put them on the curve. I purchased the Amish furniture from an individual, not directly from Amish people. The Amish people in Michigan told me, Amish furniture do not give odors. so why this one has lots of odors.?

I have lived now for a year and a half in our new custom built home. Everything is new, but for the last few months I have been smelling a mildew smell in the bedroom. We have pin pointed it to the Cherry wood of the dresser and headboard of the bed. The furniture store laughed me off since we have had it for over a year now. Any suggestions on why the wood would start to smell or could this become a health issue? I am not sure where to go with this. Thanks.

By Dawn Bading from Hanover, PA

Answers

Not everything is necessarily a stores fault. Could have happened at the time the trees were felled, during manufacturing, moving, storage or even your own bedroom might be closed up too tight/not enough ventilation. Here's a link that should be helpful to remove the odor/mold:
www.ehow.com/how_2002474_remove-mold-wood.html

Have you heard about the Chinese drywall in Florida? Could be the furniture was made with something not too healthy. Have it checked out.

I've got the very same thing going on right now. I purchased a new dining room table at a clearance furniture outlet in April. Now 6 months later, I've been smelling mildew in my dining room and have finally tracked it to the table (the last thing I thought to check!). I can't return it because the sale was final. The table is not finished on the underside so I'm going to try flipping the table and spraying the underside with lysol or some anti fungal agent. I've never heard of anything like this happening before. If anyone has any suggestions that wouldn't involve refinishing the table or taking it outside as I live in a condo, I'd love to hear them.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsJuly 6, 2013
🐛
🌻
📓
😷
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Removing-Odors-From-New-Furniture.html