Removing Odors from a Couch

Category Furniture
Many different thing can cause your sofa to smell. This is a guide about removing odors from a couch.

My wife and I recently bought a nice sectional, but I think it was sitting in the furniture warehouse for too long. It had this weird odor that wasn't too bad, but you could tell there was some kind of lingering smell that wasn't to our liking. So I used two things: The first was Nature's Miracle odor and stain remover. It's a bio-enzymatic cleaner that kills bacteria and eliminates odor. I bought this from Petsmart. Just follow the instructions on the back of the bottle. The next day I used Febreze powder for carpets, rugs, and upholstery. I bought this from Target. Also follow the instructions on the back of the can. I had my couch smelling nice and pleasant.

Hope this helps!

This is a guide about removing cigarette odors from microfiber furniture. Cigarette odors seem to permeate everything in a home especially upholstered furniture and curtains.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

How do you get foot odor out of a couch? My in-laws were staying with us, and they had the stinkiest feet. They slept on my couch and now I can't get it out. What should I do?

Ashley from MO

Answers

Do you have or can you get a shampooer? If not I'd dust it real well with baking soda when nobody is home (or at night) to sit on it. After the soda has set for a few hours I'd brush it in some and vac. If it has cushions that can be taken outside that would help

Ashley: Stop by your local health food store and buy a small amount of Yucca powder. Add 1 TBS of the powder to 1 qt. of purified water and shake well to disolve. Put mixture in a sprayer and spray on the source of the odor. This eliminates ALL odors, including cat urine. If the odor is really, really bad you may have to spray in 2-4 times to completely eliminate. Remember to spray directly on the source.

Have you tried febreeze? Might take several applications, but it should help.

You need a product called Odorzout. It's all natural,safe around family and pets, and actually gets RID of the odor not just cover it up. You just sprinkle on the area and let it sit for 24 hours and it absorbs the smell. Then you simply vacuum it up. This stuff is awesome!!! Look up 88Stink.com. Best I've ever found.

Get a gallon of OdoBan at Sam's Club. It makes 32 gallons.
Take a spray bottle, fill 1/4 full of OdoBan and the rest water. Spray the courch really well, until wet. As long as OdoBan touches the object, the odor is permanently gone. Spray tennis shoes with it, mop your floors, clean bathroom with it. It does't cover an odor, it completely gets rid of it. I got rid of skunk odor by mixing it half and half. Great for diaper pails, washing down walls, etc. Many restaurants use it to clean the odor of food off the walls. A capful in the rinse water of your washer, will take all odor out of clothes and actss as a softner. I've used it for years and it replaces many products. Jo Ann, Sarasota, Florida.

Anonymous

Someone had a major wee wee accident spending the night on my sofa and it smelled awful ... I used Febreeze. The odor was gone with only two applications and Febreeze ingredients are fabric and environment safe.

I would wipe with soap and white vinegar then air outside when you bring it in. Use your Febreeze (it really works well)
Good luck.

"How Clean Is Your House" (on BBC) recommends sprinkling baking soda on fabric, rub with fingers, vacuum and then sprinkle crushed potpourri on it and let set for several hours.

Do not use on silk.

Real simple! Sprinkle the sofa with baking soda before you go to bed. Next morning vacuum well. Most other things just mask the odor not eliminate it. It also works on your carpet overnight.

I just received a sofa and chair from my mom that she purchased at an estate sale. It has an unknown odor to it and stains. I am most concerned with getting out the odors, it's quite bad. My mom said she shampooed it, I also tried using an upholstery cleaner. Can you please give me some more suggestions? I do own a steam cleaner. What kind of cleaner would you suggest?

Shelli from Tacoma, WA

Answers

We had a freezer that when the power went out the food went bad. The absolutely only thing that would get rid of the odor and we tried EVERYTHING was Irish Spring Soap. You could put opened bars of it in the cushions underneath. You can always use the soap afterwards. I have even put opened bars under my seats in my car to eliminate odors in it. Works too. Good luck.

Febreeze and Oxyclean

Lysol spray. I like Dollar Generals brand. Spray until wet! Let air dry for an hour or so and then cover with a sheet for a few days. Works here. Chell

Okay, so here is the deal: my wife spilled some cat food, fish cat food onto our couch. We have tried several different methods in removing this terrible, foul odor to no avail. We have tried: lemon juice, Febreze, baking soda, and Dawn dishwashing soap. Nothing will remove this terrible stench!

At this moment we have the cushions baking in our front yard (temp is currently 96 degrees) with a generous amount of baking soda. At last check, fish smell. Please, is there anything we can do to get rid of this nasty, fish odor?

By Paul from Las Vegas, NV

I have a cloth sofa with removable covers. I had a toddler over that had a potty accident on the sofa. I have removed the cover and cleaned it but it think the foam cushion is damaged also. My question is, how do I clean the foam or can I replace it at a reasonable price?

Erin from Lansing, MI

Answers

yes you can replace or use urine be gone it works great and neutralizes the odor.

You could also try sprinkling the cushion with bicarbonate of soda (baking soda). Leave for half an hour and vacuum. I did this on a carpet where one of my cats did a Number Two and it worked beautifully; no smell and stains afterwards.
Good Luck!

I have found foam tha can be cut to your sizes needed at Jo-Ann's fabrics..(and no I don't work at one..I've purchased one there) and then if it is too big and needs a little trimming..use electric knife to cut..works like a charm....hope this helps,deb

In our area JoAnne fabric has foam for sale, they have up to 5 inch thick foam. It can go on sale or use a coupon from the ad.

I hope you can get the smell out.

I would wash it in the bathtub with a little detergent, rinse well and dry it out in the sun.

How can I get the doggie odor out of my sofa? My dog took up residence on the couch.

Is there some way that I can make my couch smell better? I have washed the covers on the cushions but it still smells. Thanks,

Jennifer from Tennessee

Answers

FeBreze!!! Even helps with Cat urine smell

You could try sprinkling some carpet fresh on it and vacuum it, or just use plain baking soda. That is supposed to take smells away.

Make your own scented spray for your couch. Use equal parts of water and fabric softener and put in a spray-type bottle. Can be used every day.
sewingmamma

I spilled coffee on my sofa. I cleaned it, but now it is dry and I still have the odor. Yuck.

By JC

I need to remove vomit smell from my sofa.

By Lisa from Gautier, MS

We purchased a fabric sofa some time back. The sofa is in good condition, but it had a peculiar smell. We hired an upholstery cleaner to clean the sofa. He shampooed and steam cleaned it. But the odor still remains. Can someone please suggest how to get rid of the smell?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Vaishali from San Diego

Answers:

Removing Odors From Furniture

Have you flipped it on it's back and removed the cover underneath? You may have something in the frame of the furniture that the cleaning didn't get. While you are there and there is nothing visible, spray the heck out of it with Febreze or buy charcoal-absorbing containers to leave in there and reattach the under-covering. (01/08/2007)

By Teri

Removing Odors From Furniture

Try a light covering of baking soda; let it set for at least a day then take a lightly damp cloth and wipe the furniture, when dry vacuum. For cat urine on carpet I spray lightly with white vinegar then later use a damp cloth to wipe. Try both. Good luck. (01/08/2007)

By eyelovecats

Removing Odors From Furniture

I got rid of a cigarette smoke smell by leaving a couch outside on the back porch (so it wouldn't get rained on) and spraying it with vinegar and Febreze every day for about a week. I took the cushions off and soaked them in the tub with some Downy, and it took those a while to dry. I actually had to cut them open with an electric knife and let them dry over the vents in the floor. But anyway, the couch doesn't stink at all anymore, even though my grandparents had it and smoked for years. (01/10/2007)

By Allison

Removing Odors From Furniture

Use baking soda and sunshine.

By Sherry from Parsons, KS (01/17/2007)

By jess

Removing Odors From Furniture

Try renting a Rug Doctor steamer and using OxiClean per container directions. But rinse thoroughly and dry completely before sitting on it again. It took out odors from a twenty year old rug my friend had that had never been cleaned. It smells new. It's a deodorizer and lightens slightly if the item is heavily soiled because it removes the soil layer that made it darker. Some upholstery has a naturally bad odor and some upholstered pieces have had the smells washed into the padding.

However, the OxiClean is truly good if you will be certain to rinse it off, since it will eat your skin if you do not rinse several times and let it dry. Then do not sit on it unclothed.
(01/26/2007)

By Lynda

Removing Odors From Furniture

I've taken Wisk or Tide and made a suds from both. Take a sponge or clean rag and pick up the suds only, not the water and rub into the couch. Saved my couch after the furnace blew black dust while away on vacation one winter. It smelled and looked great. (10/11/2008)

By redi

RE: Removing Odors From Furniture

Removing Odors From Furniture

You may want to try a product that was recommended by someone else on this website. The product is called "Room Shocker". I had a situation where my two golden retrievers were sprayed by a skunk and brought the smell into the house and onto my couch.

I tried everything, but could not get the smell out. Then I came to this website, where someone mentioned how well a new product called "Room Shocker" had worked for them under similar circumstances. So I gave it a try. The product worked magnificently. I initially just bought 2, one for my laundry room, and one for the family room, which were hit the hardest. I followed the directions, and let the products sit overnight.

The product releases a vapor that penetrates into everything including the fabric and foam in my couch, and even penetrates the wood grain in my hardwood floors. The next morning, I was amazed. There was absolutely no residual smell of skunk. There was however a bit of a chlorinated smell, which was preferable over the prior smell. The chlorinated smell went away within about a half hour after opening the doors and windows throughout the house.

This product is really a lifesaver. According to the information that came with it, it not only eliminates the order, but it decontaminates the room. So that's a big plus and comes with a money back guarantee. I guess the only place you can get right now is a website called BiocideSystems.com. If you have odor problems take it for me, this is the stuff.

(10/16/2008)

By Martha S.

My sofa stinks. I went out one afternoon, and when I returned my sofa smelled like death. My husband has no clue. I thought one of our dogs threw up. We checked for a dead mouse and found none. I've used Febreze, upholstery cleaner, etc. to no avail. It is too large to take outside, but I am tempted. Any ideas other than taking an axe to it? There is no stain and it is a regular cloth sofa.

Pat from Coplay, PA

Answers:

Getting Rid Of Sofa Odors

Try sprinkling baking soda all over the couch. I would let it sit at least over night and then vacuum. Good luck! (10/10/2008)

Getting Rid Of Sofa Odors

I would check down in the cracks of the couch, maybe part of a sandwich fell down there? I would also flip it over to see if anything has gotten in from the bottom. If you still can't find anything, I would put vinegar in a spray bottle and lightly mist the entire couch, making sure to get both sides of the cushions. The pickle smell will go away when it dries. Good luck! (10/11/2008)

By sonya

Getting Rid Of Sofa Odors

Our dog got sprayed by a skunk and before we could get him in the bath he rubbed his face into our couch. We could not get rid of the smell for a long time. I tried Febreeze and washing the couch with soap and water. The product that finally worked was Stanley Upholstery and Rug Cleaner. I put it in a spray bottle and sprayed the area and let it dry and then repeated it and that worked great. (10/11/2008)

By justhelpingout

Getting Rid Of Sofa Odors

When I have stubborn odors or want to "freshen" up my carpet, mattress or furniture - I use an empty spray bottle, fill it halfway with warm water then add 1/4 distilled white vinegar. Mix those two with a light shake. I then mix together a small amt of water with about a tbl of baking soda. Pour it in the mixture. This will bubble but this is why you have the 1/4 of the bottle left empty. The vinegar is diluted so it won't bubble over.

You can give this a gentle shake and then spray your sofa down. Let it dry and then vacuum the sofa down. It will smell like Easter eggs for an hour but the smell dissipates when mixture dries. If you REALLY can't stand the vinegar smell - just mix warm water with about 1 C baking soda and put mixture into a spray bottle. Spray down the sofa, this may take a few applications. When mix is dry, proceed to vacuum between applications.

Where the vinegar is a natural and nearly immediate odor killer - the baking soda works to ABSORB the odors. Both are good but I prefer to use them together and they work well. Vinegar kills odors NOW and the baking soda works to keep odors gone long into the season so I live happily odor free :0) And I have pets so that is ha-yuuuge! Good luck! (10/12/2008)

By Tammy

Getting Rid Of Sofa Odors

This tip is going to be controversial to say the least; but when you have a desperate situation, then desperate measures are called for. I do not recommend this due to color-fast problems that I wouldn't want to feel responsible for, but if it were me, I would take that baby out into the back yard and take the hose and scrub brush to it with some mild soap (done on a sunny day, when drying would be faster). I have done this when I felt that the problem was worse than the solution, and so far (knock on wood), I haven't ruined anything yet.

If the item is unusable as it is, then you have to salvage it any way you can. I realize that no one in the world but me would do it this way, but, if the item is un-usable anyway, it sure couldn't hurt, and it might just help. I have salvaged many an item in this fashion, but, like I said, it's a "what I would do if it were me" type of thing, not something that I am recommending.

Or: (and feel free to use this tip), a good airing-out does wonders sometimes- open up the house so the air can go through, or sit the item on the covered carport for a couple of days, and see if that helps. Good luck. (10/12/2008)

By heaven4441

Getting Rid Of Sofa Odors

I would call a furniture cleaning company. (10/12/2008)

By Yaffa Dreams

Getting Rid Of Sofa Odors

My Co-work has used a mixture of white vinegar and water. Stanley Steamer deodorize works great but the first is cheaper. Good Luck! (10/12/2008)

By Anner2001

Getting Rid Of Sofa Odors

If it smells like something dead, then it probably is. you may have to take it outside. Little creatures can crawl into the padding or the framework. My mother-in-law had a snake in her couch once, honest. We had to take it outside and turn it upside down, but that little fella couldn't hide forever. If all else fails, it may be time to shop for a new one.
vguy (10/12/2008)

By vguy

Getting Rid Of Sofa Odors

Setting A bowl of vinegar in a room overnight will take all kinds of odors out. Just be sure and don't let children or pets consume it. Good Luck!
Blessings, Debra (10/14/2008)

By Deb816

Getting Rid Of Sofa Odors

I don't know if this will work on a sofa, but it works on a freezer that has a rotten meat smell. Just get some charcoal briquettes (like Kingsford). Put them under the cushions, and stuff them down the sides and in the bottom if you can. It absorbs the odor. Good luck! (10/15/2008)

By PICO

Getting Rid Of Sofa Odors

I would flip it over and carefully remove the fabric that is used to cover the underside of the framework. Maybe something managed to get in there and if you get it out, you could be rid of the smell. We once had a kitten who clawed through the flimsy fabric of our old couch and would hide in there. (10/15/2008)

Getting Rid Of Sofa Odors

Find an enzyme cleaner and water down and sponge on the cloth. Do not get to wet as then you will have mold and mildew smells. It takes a couple of days for the enzyme to eat the bacteria causing the odor. (10/15/2008)

By Pollu

Getting Rid Of Sofa Odors

The only thing I have found that has gotten odors out of everything I have tried it on is a product called ODOBAN. I buy it at Sam's Club in a gallon. You can use it full strength or dilute it and use it like Febreze. I think you can buy a smaller bottle of it to try at WalMart. Good Luck! (10/17/2008)

By Cindy S.